What's new

Which razor will last longer, is more durable, muhle or merkur?

I have both Merc 34 and Muhl 41 .... both are indestructible and will last multiple human lifetimes

There are many members on this forum that have reported failures with these zamak razors that would disagree with you. Zamak razors are durable until the plating is compromised. Then not so much.

It used to be that Merkur used brass screws and Muhle/EJ had molded zamak screws. That was the weak point with Muhle/EJ screws dissolving once the plating was compromised. Merkur never had that problem with screws. EJ knew this and had excellent customer service replacing caps for free. Now, about a year or so ago, Muhle/EJ went to using brass screws and Merkur went to zamak molded screws I've heard. We should start to see Merkur screw rot soon.
True, alas! Last I looked you could buy nos merkur caps that have the brass screws on ebay for $15. My older 34c with the brass screw (or threaded post) will certainly outlive me.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
True, alas! Last I looked you could buy nos merkur caps that have the brass screws on ebay for $15. My older 34c with the brass screw (or threaded post) will certainly outlive me.
I got my spare Merkur caps from Don at Techici Shave. He still seems to be selling them on the bay. So far my Mekur 34c seems like it will outlive me as well even though I have a spare cap lol.

Last edited:
With the Muhle 3-piece, when you drop it and the corner hits first, all of the stress hits where the screw is welded to the cap.

When you drop the 2- piece 34c, that same impact stress is split between the cap weld, and the area where the baseplate is welded to the handle. Theoretically, that should make the 34c less prone to breakage.

If you never drop your razors, that difference is irrelevant.

I have the following razors listed oldest to the newest:
Merkur HD 34C
Muhle R89
Edwin Jagger DE89
Merkur 37C

My first HD 34C was defective and warrantied by WCS. The one in the list is the replacement.

The DE89 and R89 caps have pits in the chrome plating. I have no issues with the plating on the two Merkur razors using the same rinse method. YMMV.

Top Bottom