What's new

Which is the best High End Razor?

Which High End Razor brand is Best?

• Total voters
I agree, as far as shavibg goes there is no best! Yes are there razors that for me that are the best. Example there a few razors that if I’m going on 3-4 days growth are the best at taking that much growth down. Got only 1 days growth well the “ best list “ changes to some other razors. Want some maneuverability well got some more favorites and it goes on and on. To many variables. Price high or low to me does not dictate what’s the best razors. So when talking about the pure performance of a razor to me there is no best! To many variables and every beard and skin type is different.

There’s only one subject when completely evaluating the razors on your list where I can say with confidence that there is a best razor and that one subject would be when it comes to fit and finish and in my opinion I’d have to give that to Wolfman razors. Yes there are others that come close but just missing some details by a little bit.
The polish on the Wolfman is extraordinary. Who would have thought stainless could reflect like mirrored glass?

Rockwell 6S is the only razor I own from the bunch and I really like it, but I doubt that the 6S is the best of them all. Since I've decided to move on straight razors, the high prices for the higher end DE razors seem to me more and more ridiculous. Although a cheap DE and SR can shave as good as an expensive one, for me a vintage NOS SR (especially from a respected brand or Japanese) has a lot more value than a modern or even vintage DE razor. I know I'm probably comparing oranges to apples, but somehow I can justify paying 150$ for a pristine vintage Japanese SR but I can't say the same for a modern/vintage DE razor even for a higher end one. As always - YMMV!

Rockwell 6S is the only razor I own from the bunch and I really like it, but I doubt that the 6S is the best of them all. Since I've decided to move on straight razors, the high prices for the higher end DE razors seem to me more and more ridiculous. Although a cheap DE and SR can shave as good as an expensive one, for me a vintage NOS SR (especially from a respected brand or Japanese) has a lot more value than a modern or even vintage DE razor. I know I'm probably comparing oranges to apples, but somehow I can justify paying 150$ for a pristine vintage Japanese SR but I can't say the same for a modern/vintage DE razor even for a higher end one. As always - YMMV!

I'm in the same boat as you. I won't mind spending on a vintage straight but balk at $100 DEs lol!

Personally, I don't consider Karve and Rockwell hi-end razor brands. They don't offer what I call premium/ expensive razors, but to each his own.

I voted Wolfman. The king of its field.

OP, nobody can honestly answer you question unless they have tried all the razor you've listed.
And maybe some you haven't. Even then, their opinion is based on their skin, shaving technique,
frequency of shaving and so on.

I can't speak to what's best, but I use a Blackbird and it is for me a truly unique head design that provides
a very special result when I use it.

There's a new wave of marketing techniques that are in vogue these days, prime among them is "influencer marketing". Normally you associate influencer marketing with some celebrity pitching something on their instagram feed as a 'story'...they charge anywhere from $3,000 to $100,000 per story depending on there celebrity status.

I've often wondered if this phenomenon has filtered into shaving forums nowadays. I'll see some threads pushing a particular premium brand in a very subtle, yet persistent manner. If it is really a manifestation of influencer marketing, it's genius. So all the main reason to be careful before you plunge into a very expensive razor just because a number of very vocal voices say it's great. Do a lot of reading from diverse sources and evaluate.

These type of threads are always a lot of fun, even though we all agree that there is no such thing as "the best."
But from the list given by the OP, I own a Rockwell 6C and a Timeless Bronze SB, and love them both.
So, for me and my face, from the list given, ----- Timeless and Rockwell ! :a14::a14::a14:

Very interested to see that right now the votes are Timeless 9, Wolfman 8. Good news for me since my first hi-end razor, a Timeless OC .95, is on its way to me and I could never afford a Wolfman. I read a large number of reviews and posts and the OC .95 seemed to edge it over the Blackbird OC and the ATT S2. Remains to be seen how much better it is than my R41.

R

romsitsa

The polish on the Wolfman is extraordinary. Who would have thought stainless could reflect like mirrored glass?

It’s normal even with cheap pocket knifes, DE razors shouldn’t be an exception.

Adam

@firstsafety, Welcome to B&B! It seems you're already well acquainted with this hobby, it sure is fun!

I actually like threads like this (even though there is no right or wrong or absolute when dealing with opinions & different faces). However, I think there is much value in hearing the opinions of those who have tried at least one or more razors on the list.

Of those on the list which I own & rank "best for me" are (in order of preference):

1. Raw Shaving RS10 (by a good margin)
2. Rex Ambassador
3. Rockwell
4. Karve

I have tried Timeless before but don't own one (hopefully soon to change); but it is pretty amazing as well.

I haven't tried Wolfman, Charcoal Goods, or ATT, but around here there is almost nothing but praise.

I agree with @Dragonsbeard, that "best" can probably only objectively be applied to fit & finish of the actual hardware & not the shave characteristics since there are too many variables unique to each beard & skin. Nonetheless, these types of threads are helpful IMO.

I initially chose Wolfman but then reread the question which asked which "brand" is best rather than which razor. I, therefore, changed my answer to Timeless as they are a truly great company that makes a great product. Not that Wolfman isn't it's just that you cannot easily get their one of their razors. I frequently go to their website with the hope of something, anything being in stock however it's always the same "sold out" with no information as to when they may be back in stock. Timeless on the other hand answers the phone, emails, etc. Everything (for the most part) that's on their website is available. The best company, razor, etc. is of course subjective but a good question nonetheless to get a temperature reading on what people's thoughts are.

Yeah it was the only “ it’s the best “ statement I could honestly answer as most agree their is no best razor when it comes to its shaving properties.
With that said yes when you have one in had is when you realize that all the hype about the fit and finish is warranted.
It is and it isn't. I mean, yes, it's very shiny. At the same time I don't personally find the Wolfman that attractive. I LOVE! the way the WR1 .94 shaves and it's the only one I tried. So I really respect what Brian has done. But the look feels so middle-American-bland to my eye. Of course there's no objective truth when it comes to taste. I'm a bit perplexed as to why the Wolfman commands a significantly higher price than any other razor. Even though I love it. It's a great razor but hard to justify the price.

Love this post and subject so sorry to go off topic.

So I do a whole lot of reviews or what I call Shave Offs as some of you may or may not be aware of and I also know a lot of members on here through either threads, posts, pm’s but more so by actually talking to them on the phone. I was beginning to think as others I’ve talked to that maybe some people were planted to be influencers on shaving sites and in some cases it may be true but I think it’s more about either finding a razor that is just that special one that you can’t believe fits a your shaving needs so well that they become complete fan boys of the razor and even the brand and want to share it with everyone on the forums. Or it could be for justification of purchase whether it’s to defend spending a whole lot of money on a brand of razor or the continual praising or campaigning about how a particular $10 razor is as good as any high end razor. They make their statements in so many threads after a while I can see where some may think wow is this guy getting paid to come into every thread and bring up how this razor is the best thing since sliced bread while many of us are shaking our heads and thinking to ourselves I’ve tried that razor and it was just ok or not my cup of tea.

So I’m not sure there are many real influencers in the wet shaving community that are actually getting paid to be influencers as I don’t see the market as being profitable enough to justify paying people money to do so like in some of the much bigger markets like the fashion or Tech industry’s for example. Maybe it happens now and then but I think it is on a very small scale if it’s happening at all.
Now if your talking RAD enablers! Oh yes I’ve been down that road and lately I’ve been accused of being one many many times! lol

Again sorry guys to go off topic!
I'm one of the guys who has been known to pound the drum about a particular razor for a while, at least until I move on to the next one. God knows no one pays me. It's just an overflowing of enthusiasm. I've been there in the past for the Ikon Tech, for a time and to a lesser extent for ATT, and now for the CGL3. At the same time I recognize that my opinions are just my opinions.

My wife says I often speak categorically and come off like I'm making God-like pronouncements. My response is that it's so clear to me that my opinion is just my opinion that I see no need to preface a statement with "In my opinion" or something similar. I'm not God and it's obviously just my opinion.

I think we men tend to speak this way. Women are more likely to add paeans to humility. Put a bunch of us together in a room and you get . . . Badger & Blade.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
I'm one of the guys who has been known to pound the drum about a particular razor for a while, at least until I move on to the next one. God knows no one pays me. It's just an overflowing of enthusiasm. I've been there in the past for the Ikon Tech, for a time and to a lesser extent for ATT, and now for the CGL3. At the same time I recognize that my opinions are just my opinions.

My wife says I often speak categorically and come off like I'm making God-like pronouncements. My response is that it's so clear to me that my opinion is just my opinion that I see no need to preface a statement with "In my opinion" or something similar. I'm not God and it's obviously just my opinion.

I think we men tend to speak this way. Women are more likely to add paeans to humility. Put a bunch of us together in a room and you get . . . Badger & Blade.
Well, you are a lawyer ... and lawyers tend to speak with an abundance of confidence, sometimes mistaken for arrogance. Just ask my wife.

Top Bottom