What's new

Which is the best High End Razor?

Which High End Razor brand is Best?

• Total voters
My favorite razor is the Muhle R-41. Not on your list, but it's a fantastic razor IMHO
I'd stretch this category of "high end" to include an aluminum razor with a genius design, the Ikon Tech, but I wouldn't include the other Icons and certainly not any Zamak razor, but perhaps I'm being a snob. Or a hypocrite. If I liked the R41, I'd probably be right there with ya! :001_302:

Could be two different questions; the best you own and enjoy daily or the razor that makes you drool. We all have different opinions on this question. Interesting thread.

Roy @Parallax .....Wolfman razors are made from scratch, finished and high polished by hand by James which no other artisan that I know of does and to support that statement Brian from Charcoal Goods said to me in one of our many phone and email conversations when we were talking about high polishing razors and why he doesn't offer it on his razors, Brian said to me Frank I don't know how the man does it! ( referring to James ) He said If I ever tried it I'd be crippled in a few days! He also mentioned that the time it would take to just do one razor by hand he could put out a few or more of his razors. So it would justify the price. Which BTW when converted to US dollars is equal or less than a couple of high end razors depending on options. Like James, Brian who also has very high standards said he would not consider using an outside finisher as many others do because it would force him to raise his prices quite a bit and the finishers may not meet his expectations! Its a path he said he would rather not go down! He also said I'm happy to stay in my own lane and I'll leave that space to James at Wolfman. Brian is a good guy and class act and his razors to me are artfully crafted and designed like no other razors while James who also cares a lot about his razors and customers and will not compromise his standards and I see them as thoughtfully designed precise shaving instruments with more of a neo-modern design. I love them both for what they are! I don't see either razor as what I would call " white bread " razors and they both come loaded with what I call Mojo! To me some razors just have it and some don't and I usually know it within the first few strokes and that goes for both moderns & vintage along with high priced or low priced razors. Just my 2 cents on the subject.
Well the CLG3 (SB) and the WR1 .94 (SB) are my two favorite razors in terms of performance. Not that I've tried them all but I can't imagine anything better. They are astounding.

I was just commenting on style. In that regard, the CGL3 in bright tumbled copper is by far the most gorgeous. Obviously not everyone agrees, which is fine. To each his own. To me, it's not even debatable.

I appreciate what you're explaining about the time and expertise that goes into polishing. Again, just to me, not worth it.

I getcha! :thumbup1:
Thanks. This conversation reminds me of discussions we would have in high school and middle school, a bunch of guys talking about actresses and models. Some guy would say, "Jacklyn Smith, I'm not into her. I like Cheryl Ladd." Then someone would ask if he'd kick Jacklyn Smith out of his bed.

If I ever should have the chance to acquire a WR1 .94 SB, even at $500, it wouldn't be easy to say no.

I like the high school talking about famous girls thing. Been there and done that.. maybe still do a bit since I'm single again LOL. Jacllyn Smith and Cheryl Ladd were hotties in their day but I've been smitten by Wonderwoman and the Red Sparrow lately! Hey a guy can dream right. :lol:

You know Roy there are so many amazing razors out there and every time I go in my den even though I've got a really nice collection there is always that one razor that I probably couldn't say no to if it ever came up at a reasonalble price so I know what you mean my friend!
I'm so dated, I've no idea who Wonderwoman is these days and what the heck is a Red Sparrow?

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
My fave is the $250 Schone OC in nickel over brass.

This week only it is on sale; 90% off.

Mac

Nice!

LittleBadger&Schone,640.JPG

The Schöne has one of the coolest handles of any high end razor, right?

8-31-18.Plisson-Joris.MdC.Jade.640.JPG

This one's a Schöne on steroids. A Plisson. Maybe an even cooler handle? Expensive enough to be "high end," but shaves like a Schöne I think.

Feather AS-D2.Fatip-Grande-Mk1.JPG

That's an expensive Feather AS-D2 and an inexpensive but not so easy to find Fatip Grande Mk1. The Fatip is a much better razor in my opinion.

8-9-18.Blackbird.MdC.Pro.640.JPG

Pictured here is one of the upper end razors mentioned. I'm thinking of selling it. It's okay if you like it.

That's the thing. It about what you like. Not about what it costs. Not about what anyone else likes.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Nice!

View attachment 953594

View attachment 953595

This one's a Schöne on steroids. A Plisson. Maybe an even cooler handle? Expensive enough to be "high end," but shaves like a Schöne I think.

View attachment 953596

That's an expensive Feather AS-D2 and an inexpensive but not so easy to find Fatip Grande Mk1. The Fatip is a much better razor in my opinion.

View attachment 953597

Pictured here is one of the upper end razors mentioned. I'm thinking of selling it. It's okay if you like it.

That's the thing. It about what you like. Not about what it costs. Not about what anyone else likes.

Happy shaves,

Jim
If you've tried high-end razors and the Fatip is your favorite, I envy you. Definitely saves money. Can have a whole slew of 'em for the cost of one CGL3 (my favorite so far).

Nice!

View attachment 953594

View attachment 953595

View attachment 953596

View attachment 953597

Happy shaves,

Jim

As far as I'm concerned the nickel Schone is 10x the razor at 1/10 the price. Blackbird flew away.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
If you've tried high-end razors and the Fatip is your favorite, I envy you. Definitely saves money. Can have a whole slew of 'em for the cost of one CGL3 (my favorite so far).

I've not tried all the high end safety razors by any means nor do I plan to. I'm not sure which of the DE razors is my favorite, but I know which razor is my favorite safety razor, link.

2-13-19.Boots.Kukri.Red.Injun.Sharp.640.JPG

You can probably guess why I'm not trying every safety razor made.

Happy shaves,

Jim

My first choices are not there. BBS-1 and Game Changer. Out of the list, I'd probably pick the Rockwell and Blackland as the ones that gave me the best of shaves.

I believe the question was what is the best high end razor? Not what razor do you like that costs less than X dollars. Why is it that whenever someone posts about an expensive razor on this forum someone has to try to shame them because they spend too much on a razor, bring up that you have to use a vintage razor, or my favorite that Fatip or one of its relatives is the best razor ever made. My vote for the best shaving razor is the RS10. If you are looking for the best looking from an artistic standpoint I would go with Charcoal Goods. If the finish is most important no one can top a Wolfman. As far as customer service Timeless, Blackland, Charcoal Goods and Raw shaving are all excellent.

I believe the question was what is the best high end razor? Not what razor do you like that costs less than X dollars. Why is it that whenever someone posts about an expensive razor on this forum someone has to try to shame them because they spend too much on a razor, bring up that you have to use a vintage razor, or my favorite that Fatip or one of its relatives is the best razor ever made. My vote for the best shaving razor is the RS10. If you are looking for the best looking from an artistic standpoint I would go with Charcoal Goods. If the finish is most important no one can top a Wolfman. As far as customer service Timeless, Blackland, Charcoal Goods and Raw shaving are all excellent.
What's funny is that some of those same people probably own a $1,000 phone which will be obsolete in a couple of years. Yet a couple of hundred dollars for something that will last forever is heresy.

Top Bottom