What's new

Which is the best High End Razor?

Which High End Razor brand is Best?

• Total voters
What's funny is that some of those same people probably own a $1,000 phone which will be obsolete in a couple of years. Yet a couple of hundred dollars for something that will last forever is heresy.

139306.jpg

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I believe the question was what is the best high end razor? Not what razor do you like that costs less than X dollars. Why is it that whenever someone posts about an expensive razor on this forum someone has to try to shame them because they spend too much on a razor, bring up that you have to use a vintage razor, or my favorite that Fatip or one of its relatives is the best razor ever made. My vote for the best shaving razor is the RS10. If you are looking for the best looking from an artistic standpoint I would go with Charcoal Goods. If the finish is most important no one can top a Wolfman. As far as customer service Timeless, Blackland, Charcoal Goods and Raw shaving are all excellent.

I didn't know you could spend too much or too little on a razor.

I certainly don't intend to shame anyone or be critical of anything anybody buys, but is there a lower end price point cut off for high end razors? Seems to me much is in the eye of the beholder. As you mentioned.
  • artistic standpoint
  • finish
  • customer service
Not saying these are unimportant in the least, but the razor's performance as a shaving tool is important to me when I think of high end razors. The Fatip Mk1 in my opinion on my whiskers and my skin performs well + the razor is good looking and made of quality materials.

I am not trying to be argumentative or critical or shame anyone, and if I have I apologize, but if the question is what is the best razor that costs more than x amount that's a different question. As far as I'm concerned some of the razors mentioned here, but not listed as choices are high end razors. I can also think of razors costing considerable money which aren't listed as choices which is part of the reason I mentioned one of them earlier.

In any case, if I have offended you or anyone else please accept my apology.

Happy shaves,

Jim

@Chan Eil Whiskers no offense taken. I also have many vintage and more moderate priced razors in my collection, trying to learn Str8’s. I brought this up only because I see a trend of what I would call thread hijackers that jump in when more expensive razors are discussed, not to add their experience from using one of the razors but only to attack the OP for having the audacity to talk about an expensive modern razor. I think anyone who reads the posts on a regular basis knows who these people are, but for some reason no one ever calls them out.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
I like the high school talking about famous girls thing. Been there and done that.. maybe still do a bit since I'm single again LOL. Jacllyn Smith and Cheryl Ladd were hotties in their day but I've been smitten by Wonderwoman and the Red Sparrow lately! Hey a guy can dream right. :lol:

You know Roy there are so many amazing razors out there and every time I go in my den even though I've got a really nice collection there is always that one razor that I probably couldn't say no to if it ever came up at a reasonalble price so I know what you mean my friend!
I used to put Jacqueline Smith trading cards on the spokes of my Huffy bike (to make it sound cooler). She was my favorite Charlie’s Angel.

If I were to write this post again with what I have learned by reading all the replies, I would probably use the word "favorite" in place of "best;" however, by using the word "best" the discussion might have been more robust since it is a more controversial word. Still creating controversy for no reason is the job of the media, so from now on, I will use "favorite." I really appreciate all the responses and votes, I hope it will continue for a few more days. As far as "high end" razor the only reason I added that was to keep the number of brands discussed smaller, but that was also a bad idea because, as I have learned, no good topic can be contained. What did Jeff Goldblum say in Jurassic Park "Nature finds a way!" I was also seeking reasons that a person should not buy a high (subject to opinion) priced razor and I think many people delivered some amazing comments on that point which really hit home with me. I am still shopping for a razor that I can pass down to the next generation. I have dated several of these, but keep having to call off the engagement. Also, I drop razors, so some great shaving razors will not last long in my hands. As many have noted, each person's guidelines are unique. I am new to Badger and Blade based on what I have read here, this site is as enjoyable as a good shave!

I used to put Jacqueline Smith trading cards on the spokes of my Huffy bike (to make it sound cooler). She was my favorite Charlie’s Angel.

Amen Brother ! But ten years before that, it was Mickey Mantle and
Roger Maris cards, attached to the spokes of my Schwinn Stingray with
clothes pins from Mom's laundry basket !

If I were to write this post again with what I have learned by reading all the replies, I would probably use the word "favorite" in place of "best;" however, by using the word "best" the discussion might have been more robust since it is a more controversial word.

You don't need to be defensive or back down - you've generated a robust discussion and that's what forums are for. If you use the word "best" you'll inevitably get a few posts saying "there's no such thing as best" but I think you can safely eliminate those, since they're not contributing anything new or original to the discussion or telling us anything we don't know already. Same with "high end" - perfectly good phrase often used for audio components etc. Thanks for generating a nice discussion and don't beat yourself up over it.

LOL! At that age, the standard quip was that if Jacqueline Smith or Farah Fawcet or Cheyl Ladd or whomever showed up in your bed, you wouldn't know what to do with her. Of course that was equally true for all of us. We were like the cowboy who's all hat, no cattle. But you, my friend, figured out what to do with Miss Jacqui.

If money were no object and they were available, Im sure most would say Wolfman. I love my Timeless though. Its the most perfect razor Ive ever used.

Votes are currently Wolfman 14, Timeless 13, Raw Shaving 5. Those make sense.

But zero votes for Blackland and just 3 for ATT? That's a slap in the face since quite a lot of people have used those razors, particularly ATT.

Game changer not on the list?
I think the topic was "High End Razors" yet I can't quite see what is "Hight End" about the Game Changer and why anyone insists on including that razor in the discussion!! That might sound a little harsh but it is what it is... a $50 razor that most consider a good razor for that price point and I think that sums it up right there...
Timeless on the other hand answers the phone, emails, etc. Everything (for the most part) that's on their website is available.
Everything except the dual comb plate, but everything else is readily available...
I'd stretch this category of "high end" to include an aluminum razor with a genius design, the Ikon Tech, but I wouldn't include the other Icons and certainly not any Zamak razor, but perhaps I'm being a snob. Or a hypocrite. If I liked the R41, I'd probably be right there with ya! :001_302:
If you let in one $40 razor they you open the door for all of them otherwise you are the hypocrite!!
Wolfman razors are made from scratch, finished and high polished by hand by James
Now don't get me wrong here and I can read between the lines here, but this is how this comment reads in my head and I can only speak for myself here and I'm sure you could've said it better, but for some strange reason from this comment I imagine James sitting there whittling away on a piece of stainless with a knife or something and yet I know thats impossible to do by hand!! If I were a betting man I would say that James has a CNC, manual lathe, milling machine, and maybe some other machinery around that shop of his... :a30:
I believe the question was what is the best high end razor? Not what razor do you like that costs less than X dollars. Why is it that whenever someone posts about an expensive razor on this forum someone has to try to shame them because they spend too much on a razor, bring up that you have to use a vintage razor, or my favorite that Fatip or one of its relatives is the best razor ever made.
AMEN BROTHER!! Couldn't have said it better myself.
If I were to write this post again with what I have learned by reading all the replies, I would probably use the word "favorite" in place of "best;" however, by using the word "best" the discussion might have been more robust since it is a more controversial word.
It wouldn't have mattered if you used the word best or favorite, that can of worms still would've been opened and anyone that believes that their Fatip, Games Changer, or Old Type belonged in the conversation it would be brought up regardless if their reasoning was sound or not!! The only way to avoid this altogether would to have not even create the post at all!!

The only thing I've learned from these types of threads is that even the "Mingshi 3000" is a "High End Razor" because there is that guy out there that thinks it is and won't hesitate to think otherwise!!

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
So...

Let me make sure about this.

High End = Very Expensive? How expensive? Where's the cut off?

If so, does high end also mean modern?

Just curious about your views of what high end means. I read what the OP said and found his comments interesting and helpful, but I get the notion that several posters have a perhaps different view of what makes a razor high end than he expressed.

It doesn't matter a bit to me except I want to know what we're talking about.

I'm not coming to the defense of the lowly Game Changer. I don't have one. However, I've read a few posts where gentlemen have found themselves using their Game Changer and neglecting their various quite expensive razors, razors I think most people would regard as high end. What do we do about points of view such as theirs in discussions like this one, particularly considering what the OP had to say in his post.

If I were to write this post again with what I have learned by reading all the replies, I would probably use the word "favorite" in place of "best;" however, by using the word "best" the discussion might have been more robust since it is a more controversial word. Still creating controversy for no reason is the job of the media, so from now on, I will use "favorite." I really appreciate all the responses and votes, I hope it will continue for a few more days. As far as "high end" razor the only reason I added that was to keep the number of brands discussed smaller, but that was also a bad idea because, as I have learned, no good topic can be contained. What did Jeff Goldblum say in Jurassic Park "Nature finds a way!" I was also seeking reasons that a person should not buy a high (subject to opinion) priced razor and I think many people delivered some amazing comments on that point which really hit home with me. I am still shopping for a razor that I can pass down to the next generation. I have dated several of these, but keep having to call off the engagement. Also, I drop razors, so some great shaving razors will not last long in my hands. As many have noted, each person's guidelines are unique. I am new to Badger and Blade based on what I have read here, this site is as enjoyable as a good shave!

Happy shaves,

Jim

Let me make sure about this.

High End = Very Expensive? How expensive? Where's the cut off?

If so, does high end also mean modern?
I'm assuming that this question was aimed at me since it followed my post and was a while after it, but high end to me would probably entail something in the $100+ range and above $ wise and certainly isn't aimed at modern only... I would also add that high end usually entails the quality of construction and finish of the item also, so I guess that is how I would interpret high end... I have been wrong in the past about a few things in my life though and this certainly could be one of them but that is what "I" feel it would be.
Just curious about your views of what high end means. I read what the OP said and found his comments interesting and helpful, but I get the notion that several posters have a perhaps different view of what makes a razor high end than he expressed.

It doesn't matter a bit to me except I want to know what we're talking about.
As pointed out above what "my" interpretation of high end most certainly could be different from someone else's but I wouldn't think I'd be that far off. I will add that I would think if you polled 100 people if they thought Fatip was a high end razor, I would venture to guess it would be a very high % it wasn't!! Then again, as I also pointed out above, I've certainly been wrong in my life about some things...

Like all things described as high end ie. Cars, audio equipment etc, money is always part of it, but so is quality, performance and appeal to a certain audience. I believe the OP started with a list that of course is not all inclusive but certainly sets a pattern. I believe there are several examples of high end vintage razors, but with many vintage razors their performance is very dependent on how well the razor was cared for, ie there are vintage toggles for sale daily some in wonderful condition and others that have a dial that doesn’t even turn.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Perhaps some of it also has to do with an item being collectible.

TypeO.TypeOClone.Side.Top.JPG

One of these razors is the Schick Type O. If you can find one it is likely to be in the $300 range. Does that make it high end?

The other razor is an ebarbershop Type O clone which sells for about a tenth of the price of the original.

TypeO.TypeOClone.Top.Shiny.Name.640.JPG

The razors appear to be both made exactly the same with the exception of the branding material on the Schick. Most people who've examined both, including me, wouldn't disagree with the contention that the clones are made on the same equipment by the same people who made the originals. Both razors are well made but are not jewelry or fancy or anything more than a form follows function utilitarian tool which might be regarded by someone as beautiful or handsome.

The Type O schick originally sold for a few dollars, but now they're highly regarded and rare and collectible. Are they high end? It would be hard for me to say they are, but they sure are expensive.

Perhaps the most prized and expensive DE razor would be the Gillette Double Ring. I've seen them go for thousands of dollars, but are they a "better" razor than a Gillette Single Ring which might sell for $50?

I'm not sure what we're talking about, and yet I do understand that the razors listed by the OP are expensive and "high end."

Schaeffer.Cap.Angle.Handle.640.6-18.Nice.JPG

What about razors like this one?

6-16-18-kit-schaeffer-copper-wk-640jpg-jpg.891220

A really good and well preserved Schaeffer or Segal, such as mine, is a beautiful razor. It is also a great shaver and was made like a tank by a locksmith company. They knew what they were doing. I'm not the only one who thinks these razors would be exceedingly collectible and valuable were the blades readily available.

proxy.php

From this photo we can see that the finish of this razor is not so great. I don't know if the razor is made of a metal which can be replated, but does that matter when we're talking about what constitutes a high end razor? To me it does. I think of my R41 as an excellent shaver and a beautiful razor but it would have to be a real metal and not Zamac for me to consider it eligible for high end status.

But for the blade issue, link, and the open question of its underlying metal, I'd consider my Schaeffer a high end razor, but that doesn't mean I'm right or that you should. I think if the blades were available these would be as pricey as Toggles or more so. They're good looking and very well designed and made. I think mine quite handsome.

Happy shaves,

Jim

One of these razors is the Schick Type O. If you can find one it is likely to be in the $300 range. Does that make it high end?
In my opinion, no it doesn't and the reason is because it didn't cost anywhere's near that when it was new and you could probably drop the zero's from that price and that's what the original cost was $3. An example of that is the original cost back in its day would probably be comparable to say a Fatip today which doesn't fall within the parameters, and again I will say, in my opinion... This is probably something that could be debated for quite some time and I'm sure you'd probably never come close to agreeing so its probably not even worth debating any further because the example you give is really reaching out there to try and justify your point!!

I'm enjoying this thread--thanks, OP!

I've got razors from all the companies mentioned except Feather and Raw. I'd place those companies in the following order (with the razors I've used from each company listed in order of preference):

1. Charcoal Goods (tie between Level 3 open comb and straight bar)
2. Timeless (.78 bronze open comb, .95 stainless open comb)
3. Blackland (Dart, Blackbird, Sabre 2)
4. ATT (H2, SE2, S2, R2, M2)

After those four, there's a bit of a gap. Then:

5. Rex (Ambassador)
6. Karve (F, D)
7. Rockwell (6S; #6 is the only plate I've used)
8. Wolfman (WR1 .74 open comb)

As to Charlie's Angels:

1. Farrah Fawcett
2. Kate Jackson
3. Jaclyn Smith

If you let in one $40 razor they you open the door for all of them otherwise you are the hypocrite!!

If I had cited a $40 razor made from Zamak, I'd be with you. The Ikon Tech retailed for $70 when it was available and is constructed from aircraft grade aluminum. In other words, a material that with any kind of reasonable care should last a lifetime and beyond. Moreover, new ones have recently sold on the auction site that dare not speak its name for over $250. Guys have been willing to pay that much because, in terms of cutting through a tough maze of whiskers, nothing can top it. Every one of the high-end razors discussed in this thread falls short. That's why people have been willing to pay so much.

I'm enjoying this thread--thanks, OP!

I've got razors from all the companies mentioned except Feather and Raw. I'd place those companies in the following order (with the razors I've used from each company listed in order of preference):

1. Charcoal Goods (tie between Level 3 open comb and straight bar)
2. Timeless (.78 bronze open comb, .95 stainless open comb)
3. Blackland (Dart, Blackbird, Sabre 2)
4. ATT (H2, SE2, S2, R2, M2)

After those four, there's a bit of a gap. Then:

5. Rex (Ambassador)
6. Karve (F, D)
7. Rockwell (6S; #6 is the only plate I've used)
8. Wolfman (WR1 .74 open comb)

As to Charlie's Angels:

1. Farrah Fawcett
2. Kate Jackson
3. Jaclyn Smith

Since you've been so kind in sharing from the bounty of your shave den, I can venture an opinion that's almost the same as yours.

1. CGL3 - SB
2. Wolfman WR1 .94
3. CGL3 - OC
4. ATT SE2
5. Blackland Dart
6. ATT H2
7. ATT H1
8. Blackland Blackbird
9. Karve w/ F plate

As for Charlie's Angels, all I can say is great minds think alike.

Top Bottom