What's new

Where's the Love for Omega Boar Brushes?

brucered

System Generated
here's a pic of my Omega :001_cool:

$IMG_5495.jpg

The 20120 is big brush--you might need a gallows to dry it, but that's fine because Omega's big brushes build beautiful lather. I really like the my 100083 which is about the same size as your brush. It's tough to make a break form larger boar brushes once we break in these lather builders--the work with ease. Nice brush!

Last edited:
I've mostly got cheaper brushes, the Tweezerman badger, VDH basic boar and the VDH luxury set badger. They all seem to work, some better suited to different applications. However, I also picked up an Omega Pro 49 the other day and have been using it every day since. I simply love the thing and can't wait to see how it is after a few months of consistent use.

I love my Bambino with the 18mm knot, but the handle is a bit small.
Does Omega have a 18-20mm knot with a bigger handle then the bambino? Usually I would do the research myself, but I am a bit lazy this morning. Figured Id see if anyone was in the know.

proxy.php

Omega 10081 Beehive Variant. Ht: 109 mm Loft: 56 mm Base: 53 mm Knot: 23 mm

A few weeks ago I picked up an Omega 10081 Beehive Variant brush. Excellent! Liked it so much that I bought another. They're on sale for under $11 @ Shoebox Shave Shop. For me, this may be the perfect boar brush; builds a rich and controllable lather. I feel it's far superior to my Semogue SOC.

proxy.php

Height 97mm; handle 45mm; bristle Loft 50mm; knot diameter 21mm.

Guys, I recently picked up two Semogue brushes, a 620 and 1438; uh-oh; the 1438 is not to believed. I like it better than my Omegas and far better than the Semogue SOC. This really is an excellent boar brush. I am rethinking my Omegas--and this is a huge step for a long-time Omega guy. But this brush is fantastic.

I absolutely love my SOC in boar. It's my favorite brush and is used every time I've shaved since I bought it. I like the soft scrub that it gives.

I just got an Omega 10048 (yeah, the BIG one :D ) and I absolutely LOVE it! It's AWESOME for face lathering and after the second time I used it I could see most of the bristles were splitting at the end. It's not the best for loading some soaps/croaps, the tiny tubs the RazoRock comes in for example, but it ROCKS for lathering up creams. This will be seeing heavy rotation for sure!

I just took delivery of a Pro 49 and a Mighty Midget from Italianbarber and I am very happy with them. The 49 is HUGE and works really fast, it still smells a bit but that is fading; the ends are already quite soft but it has plenty of backbone for milled soap. The Mighty Midget is impressive with the amount of lather it holds - I plan to use it for face-lathering while travelling and it holds enough for at least two passes, but I think I might leave it out on the counter for now.

Looks like my ED best badger will be getting a vacation for a little while...

Blasphemy!

What Omega would you compare it to?

I have a drawer full of Omega boar brushes--and none of them compare favorably with the 1438; and I'm also into 620 brush. I used to love my Omegas, but Semogues' bristles are different: the feel is that much better in comparison to Omegas. I'm waiting for lightening to strike! I swore by Omega brushes before trying Semogues. However, I didn't care for the SOC, too much loft for me. But these lower-loft Semogues I have are tough to best.

Love Omega, just wish they'd make handles that do their knots justice, or start selling knots separately.

Rudy Vey just made a brush for me with an Omega knot. Nice way to get a beautiful handle on an Omega. I posted a picture of it in Rudy's vendor thread.

Which is actually "bigger"? The Pro 48 or Pro 49? One has a slightly taller loft; one has a slightly bigger knot

I LOVE my Omega. I have a model Pro #98, I love the long handle, and it tears through soaps like a CHAMP!

Here it is next to some Mama Bear's Sandlewood.
$DSC08992.jpg

Locked, Loaded, and ready!
$DSC08995.jpg

All lathered up!
$DSC08996.jpg

And here's the brush close-up:
$DSC08999.jpg

These are really great brushes, and I'll definitely be sticking with this beauty for awhile! :thumbup:

The larger Omega brushes to whip up a far richer lather than the smaller ones--I can see the love for larger Omegas. I have a 10083 that produces great lather. But it's a soap eater; I can go through ARKO and Mitchell's Woolfat soap four times as fast with a boar brush compared with a firmer badger brush. I recently picked up a Jagger 1ej947sds best badger that makes a rich lather, saves soap, and has a nice firm but not boar-like feel. I did this because I found in less humid weather my boar brushes feel a bit stiffer to me and don't absorb water the same way they do in when there's more humidity in the air--in New England there is a marked difference in ambient humidity when summer transitions to autumn; and throughout winter the dry air air has my boar brushes feeling like wood splinters. In late spring and summer the boars are fine to use. Yes, I could soak my boar brushes for 20 or so minutes to help soften them, but I prefer using a firmer badger and go from rack to hot water to soap.

I do love my boar brushes--and if I lived in a humid climate, they'd be fine year round. But just as water, hard or soft, affects lather, I've found relative humidity affects the feel of boar bristles. My boars will reappear in late spring--but for next 6+ months, they'll be hibernating.

Top Bottom