What's new

Where's the Love for Omega Boar Brushes?

I have teh mighty midget.... and love the brush.... plenty of backbone... and lather.... I would highly suggest this brush to anyone! Oh and it is less than a week old... still not broken in fully.... wonderful brush!

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
When your MM breaks in you will love it even more. It works great for travel. Dries fast, stores in a small pill bottle just as a stick of Arko does.

I just ordered an Omega 80080, about 4.3" with beehive handle. The smaller boars require less soap and the 80080 is kind of an medium-size brush for Omega. I may also get the 10081 Beehive Variant and the 10029 Baby Pro--I love these brushes, they deliver. I'll know what I want to after I receive my 80080 Beehive and try it. These brushes are inexpensive so one can do a bit of research without feeling as if we're spending too much on the process.

proxy.php
proxy.php

I think the reason some of stay with a brand of brush, at least for me, is that we know how they perform; and if we like the bristles, we can pretty much determine the size brush that we want. I don't know Semogue brushes, and I'm loathed to begin the feeling-out process with another brush line to determine which one(s) I might like. Had I began with Semogue boars, I'd likely have stated this thread on Semogues. Fact is, Omegas have never disappointed me and I have no complaints about any I've owned. It's like my go-to razor: I love the Gillette Tech. I've 'drawered' my Progresses, Merkur 1904, Feather AS-D1, and given away eight or so Merkurs. For me the three-piece Tech is #1 and I use it every day. I do have a Fatip on order because I want to try an open comb; but the Tech may be an impossible razor to best, at least for me.

Last edited:
s204STi: You are a wet shaving brother--I understand the 'lurking' thing completely. Any man with such an array of brushes has 'the' thing for wet shaving. I love my brushes; and the ones that mean the most to me are those with boar bristles, which all are Omegas. A damn fine brush at an exceptionally fair value. You have to be The Omega Man on this thread. My badgers will not see further use from me--the only thing for which I can use them is to show people so can say 'I have used quality badger brushes, but I prefer boar!' Hats off to you. I went through a similar acquisition thing with computer keyboards a short while ago until I found two KBs that I really like.

I have a 10005 and a Mighty Midget, both get significant time in rotation, with two Semogues, two Simpsons, and a couple of vintage thrown in the mix, as well.

The 10005 was my first boar (and may be the best), the MM always travels with me. Good brushes!

I own the 20106, I think it has nearly the same specs as the 48.....I LOVE IT!!! It made me a BBB lover...Big Beautiful Boar lover. ;)

Love Omega, just wish they'd make handles that do their knots justice, or start selling knots separately.

View attachment 264941
Omega 48, 83, 80080, and Semogue SOC (after only three latherings).

Just added a Semogue, my first, SOC to my current Omega lineup. I've kept only the Omegas that I've really liked; the others I've given away. I really care for my Omega brushes, but it's time for me to 'fess up': the SOC is the best boar-bristle brush I've ever used. And Omega's 80080 Beehive Variant right now ranks #2 in my lineup, and for about $11 it's a fine brush. But the SOC is a boar brush unto itself.

I have a Pro 49 that gets some occasional usage, and I like it, but not enough to keep my hands off of the badgers. Part of me wonders how much of that is psychological, though; after spending 10 times as much on a badger brush who wants to admit that they'd have been just as happy and receive just as good a lather with a sub $20 boar?

It's a fact that boar brushes improve with use. I agree with smegleas, after spending a lot on badger brushes we want to feel that they are superior to boar brushes. As I said, my badgers sit in a drawer and haven't seen lather in months. Fact is, both will do the job, it's a matter of personal preference. Many of Omega's brushes are really quite good; I've had only two that I thought were fair, but the others, the three I have in the photo, are quite good. I kept the best of the lot and gave away the other Omegas. The 48 and 83 gather a lot of lather that gets wasted, which was my reason for trying smaller Omegas and deciding on the 80080 Beehive. The Semogue SOC is a different kind of boar brush--it's really nice.

I have 5 different models; I started with the 10066 but that one is too floppy if you will for my taste. Then the 50014 (travelbrush) came and everything changed. That was the brush that brought me back to boars but I only look for 50mm max lofts now. Later came the 10019, 40033 and the 50068. Very easy-going brushes and I think that Omega is the best starting point for getting to know boar-brushes.

My only con is the cheapish plastic they use for most of their handles. I guess it is the only way to sell them for the little money they charge but I wouldn't mind a premium-line with handles of quality resin like Vulfix made some years ago (and are still available here and there).

My badger brushes sit idle since getting into boar bristle. They feel great on my skin when lathering, I like the 'backbone' of my Omega brushes.

The Omega '49 is my favorite, by far. Very comfortable, very sturdy on the MB glycerine soaps I favor. I've forgotten my Badger's name.

Began with the new Semogue SOC I got, but finished up lathering with my 100083 and exploded with mounds of lather--it's broken in and feels great. The SOC is going to take some time to break in, but it is a nice brush; however, not so nice that I'd abandon my tried-and-ture Omegas. Love my Omegas! It does seem that the larger models, which are broken in, are so sweet. I'm still breaking in the smaller 80080 Beehive.

brucered

System Generated
Love Omega, just wish they'd make handles that do their knots justice, or start selling knots separately.

their knots easily pop out. i popped out my omega as the handles was not comfortable and put it in a restore.

Semogues with the collar, are the same way.

Top Bottom