What's new

Where Were You On 9/11 2001?

10th Grade Math class with Mr. Billings. Jessica S. had used the pass to go to the bathroom and had some back and told everyone that they Empire state building was on fire and that we were at war. I wrote it off as her being a dummy until I went to Spanish the next period and my teacher let us listen to 1010 Wins radio. I'll never forget that day.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
My building standing amidst the rubble in the upper left corner.

$aerial_wtc_damage0.jpg

We sustained significant damage.

$Verizon_building_damage3.jpg

$Verizon_building_damage.jpg

$tc_search2.jpg

Two years later damage is still quite evident.

$6153275253_30003d3624_z.jpg

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Aerial view shows how close my building, again in upper left, was to dead center.

$WTC_Area_With_Buildings_Post911_2_1000.jpg

$Air-0992.jpg

$WTC-Debrie2083.jpg

$2052f4f1ea9e562e5054c79a332f80161d02d0.jpg

$MAGNUMMcCurryNYC14149.jpg

Last edited:
I was getting ready at my house in the DC suburbs to return to my office in downtown DC after a very late night the previous evening and I flipped on CNN, which had the WTC with smoke pouring out of it from the first plane hit. As I watched the second plane hit at 9:03 am.

At 9:37 am the plane hit the Pentagon and confusing news on that started to come in quickly. Scary stuff. I do not remember how many days later it was that I actually got back to my office.

A week later, the anthrax attacks started. About a year later the Beltway sniper killings started.

Traumatic times.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
On Active Duty (Army), training at Fort Polk, LA. I watched (along with many of the Brigade Staff), the whole telecast on a Jumbotron at the SIMS (Systems Integration Modeling and Simulation), Center.

A horrific tragedy for US all. May the many loved ones Rest in Peace.
proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:
I was at a meeting with a customer, when a colleague stormed in ...

I wish anyone who needs it today all the strenght they can get!

Working on a contract for the U.S. Customs Service, which was then part of the Department of Treasury as a revenue collection agency. It's now part of the Department of Homeland Security, with a broader enforcement mission due to 9/11.

I remember coming home from school and entering my house through the back of my house which entered the kitchen. My mum was in there cooking dinner at the time. She had a little tv on top of the fridge freezer which at that time had the news on. I just remember walking in and freezing looking up at the TV and seeing the plane flying into the building. I just froze stood in the door way. It didn't seem real, I was hoping it was from a movie.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I had only been on the force for five years and just got home after working late overnight, booking a prisoner I had arrested late on my shift, into the county jail. My brother called me as I was gearing down and asked me if I had heard the news. I asked him, "what news?" He just simply said, "turn on the television" and hung up.

I will never forget the surreal feeling, while looking at the news coverage, finding it hard to believe what I was seeing. Then the second plane hit the second tower. I was exhausted from my long shift and needed to take a shower and go to bed for my next shift. I couldn't pull away from the T.V. until somewhere around 2pm. Don't remember when I finally fell asleep.

Legion

Staff member
I was sleeping when it all happened. My clock radio woke me up, and the first words I heard that day was the news saying "the world trade center is gone. Both buildings have now collapsed."

What?? How??? That is some hard info to compute when you first wake up.

I was in NYC on the 10th anniversary. Still hard to compute.

Last edited:
11th grade. Advance Art class, Our school was pretty new so most rooms had TVs in them (the big box ones). We didn't do anything except watch the news for the next 3 days until the principle came and said everyone go back to class.

I was underway on a Coast Guard cutter in the South Caribbean. We were at all hands muster on the flight deck when the XO broke the news to us. We immediately abandoned our mission of drug enforcement and headed straight for our home port in Boston. One of my shipmates lost a childhood friend in the WTC attacks, and he took it pretty hard.

I was in an engineering class in college. Left one lecture to go to another. Wondered why the class was so empty. TA came in and we didn't have a lecture that day. She was the one who told me. I had to go to my other classes that morning, and finally got to see a TV that afternoon. Went to a church service that evening. I'll never forget.

I previously worked in downtown Manhattan in a building that was only two blocks away from the WTC. Previously, from my office I had seen the attacks from the truck bombing.

I had changed jobs and was working in CT at the time. We were scheduled to appear in court in downtown Manhattan the next day. My secretary came into my office crying and told me an airplane had crashed into the WTC. All of us went to the conference room to see what had happened. I still had friends who worked downtown including a few that worked in the WTC. I later learned that one acquaintance who worked for Cantor Fitzgerald perished and his body was never recovered.

I remember it was a really nice morning on the rifle range at Parris Island, SC. I had just joined the Marine Corps in July and we were on the range when a cease fire was called. The other recruits and I knew something was up because all the instructors were acting strange. Everything up to that point was almost routine or expected so when this unusually lengthy cease fire was called it was apparent something was up. We really didn't know what happened save for anyone who had family directly involved.

Oh, and as a side note. My baby girl was born today as well!!:biggrin1:

Congratulations on the birth of your daughter! On 9/11, I was in my office and the staff of the surgeon next door came over after the first plane hit.

Top Bottom