What's new

Where is the Tallow?!

I got home today to find my package from Pasteur's waiting on my door step - four pucks of Tabac that did turn out to be the tallow formulation. I cannot speak to what they have on hand currently but my gamble paid off.

This news of reformulation to arguably my overall favorite shave soap is really a bummer. I have been using other soaps this week to prove that the sky isn't falling and that when my remaining stash of Tabac pucks run out the world will keep turning.

Oh well, should have bought more....

Looking at the lists of ingredients at Tabac and Speick, can we say that the two soaps have the same exceptional mechanical properties, the difference between them being only perfume? That would be good news for those who don't like the smell of Tabac soap!

Ingredients don’t tell the whole story. Speick and Tabac are very different in performance if you ask me. Give two people a fork, egg, butter, and a frying pan, and you’re getting two completely omelets.

Gotta love the analogies in this thread. Jeep factory, omelets, what’s next?

Looking at the lists of ingredients at Tabac and Speick, can we say that the two soaps have the same exceptional mechanical properties, the difference between them being only perfume? That would be good news for those who don't like the smell of Tabac soap!
I would believe that. Tabac is great, Speick is also great… both made in Germany. Same ingredient list, same order. Both companies selling niche traditional shaving soaps, not high-volume mass market products . Heck, as I wrote earlier I wouldn’t be surprised if they are made by the same manufacturer.

Gotta love the analogies in this thread. Jeep factory, omelets, what’s next?

I would believe that. Tabac is great, Speick is also great… both made in Germany. Same ingredient list, same order. Both companies selling niche traditional shaving soaps, not high-volume mass market products . Heck, as I wrote earlier I wouldn’t be surprised if they are made by the same manufacturer.

Oh but look at the following ingredient list. No on tallow. Yes on Palm oil. Kills Tabac and Speick in terms of slickness and performance as far as I’m concerned. If you know what you’re doing, your product will be good.

The only thing I’ve found to be consistent in a good shave lather is Stearic Acid as the first ingredient, aside from that, you don’t know what ya got until ya try it!

57C70FDF-9AF4-4AA4-96C0-2ECF3E9CB0C8.jpeg

Oh but look at the following ingredient list. No on tallow. Yes on Palm oil. Kills Tabac and Speick in terms of slickness and performance as far as I’m concerned. If you know what you’re doing, your product will be good.

The only thing I’ve found to be consistent in a good shave lather is Stearic Acid as the first ingredient, aside from that, you don’t know what ya got until ya try it!

View attachment 1304584
I don’t know why you brought this up, but I agree with you that La Toja stick is fantastic. I wouldn’t go as far as to say it “kills” Tabac though. Quite similar slickness and performance in my books. Two of the very best shaving soaps I’ve ever used

Found this thread too late. What a bummer. For me, most shaving products are "try once, then move on and try something else". I have very few forever products that are immediately reordered when I run out, and Tabac is one of them.

Just got an Amazon puck in and it's veggie. Won't be trying it for awhile cause my existing tallow version lasts so long when used in a rotation.

Found this thread too late. What a bummer. For me, most shaving products are "try once, then move on and try something else". I have very few forever products that are immediately reordered when I run out, and Tabac is one of them.

Just got an Amazon puck in and it's veggie. Won't be trying it for awhile cause my existing tallow version lasts so long when used in a rotation.
I went to return my non tallow refill puck and Amazon gave me a refund and said I didn't need to return it. I guess one day when my new full jar of Tabac with tallow runs out I will get around to trying it out.

Tabac Refund.JPG

I was thinking of returning it, but on the other hand I have to know for myself if it's any good. Didn't realize they wouldn't want it shipped back, but I suppose it makes sense for soap or low cost items. Thanks for the heads up!

I was thinking of returning it, but on the other hand I have to know for myself if it's any good. Didn't realize they wouldn't want it shipped back, but I suppose it makes sense for soap or low cost items. Thanks for the heads up!
Yeah for one refill puck it probably isn't cost effective. If I had ordered multiples then Amazon would likely ask for me to ship them back.

I'll send you a self addressed and stamp envelope and a $1 for 5gr returned smashed in a sandwich baggie.

I absolutely trust @theklaw but as a retired math and science teacher we need more n's than the current +1.

Last edited:

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
I got home today to find my package from Pasteur's waiting on my door step - four pucks of Tabac that did turn out to be the tallow formulation. I cannot speak to what they have on hand currently but my gamble paid off.

This news of reformulation to arguably my overall favorite shave soap is really a bummer. I have been using other soaps this week to prove that the sky isn't falling and that when my remaining stash of Tabac pucks run out the world will keep turning.

Oh well, should have bought more....
Thank you for posting! Tabac is a standby, so just placed first Pasteur order. Bought 2 Tabac pucks + a few “always wanted to try that” items to reach the $50 threshold for free CONUS shipping. Site registration provided another $2 discount.

Wish to get tallow, but if not, get to make the switch earlier.

4C28BEAD-1212-4157-BA4A-E57777DA4A43.jpeg

I'll send you a self addressed and stamp envelope and a $1 for 5gr returned smashed in a sandwich baggie.

I absolutely trust @theklaw but as a retired math and science teacher we need more n's than the current +1.

I'll be purchasing a new formula puck just to see how it works. I'm sure it's not going to be nearly as good, but it could still be a quality product in my naturally soft water. I noticed there didn't seem to be any chelating agents so that could be an issue for many with harder water.

I'll be purchasing a new formula puck just to see how it works. I'm sure it's not going to be nearly as good, but it could still be a quality product in my naturally soft water. I noticed there didn't seem to be any chelating agents so that could be an issue for many with harder water.
We have to dissolve calcium deposits from our shower and sink faucets a few times a year. With the iron in it the water reminds me of my grandparents water when I was a kid. Tabac (pre-woke) is like a Honey Badger here it could give a hoot about the chemistry. I'm optimistic the new version is as accommodating to our well water. If not that's fine - it is what it is.

Hey- if you want to pass a long 5g for testing same deal applies as above. I'm not kidding, we need more n's and my son and nephew would be a couple of n's that could give an informed evaluation.

Last edited:
We have to dissolve calcium deposits from our shower and sink faucets a few times a year. With the iron in it the water reminds me of my grandparents water when I was a kid. Tabac (pre-woke) is like a Honey Badger here it could give a hoot about the chemistry. I'm optimistic the new version is as accommodating. If not that's fine - it is what it is.

Hey- if you want to pass a long 5g for testing same deal applies as above. I'm not kidding, we need more n's and my son and nephew would be a couple of n's that could give an informed evaluation.

Thanks, I appreciate the offer but I'll just grab a full puck as soon as I know that the new formula is at my regular suppliers.

I've got three pucks coming from Peter Pan as well. We'll see. Also landed one on the Bay that had a photo of the "Old" ingredients. It was his last one.
Peter Pan = Fail. They're going back on Monday. Still waiting for the eBay puck but not expecting miracles. I'll treasure the unopened original puck I have and use it sparingly. Not chasing this phantom any longer. There are plenty of first rate tallow based soaps out there and their proprietors will benefit from my business

Top Bottom