What's new

Tallow Mug Pucks

In my wandering around these pages in the last few years, I've learned that a lot of 'good ole fashioned' mug soaps no longer contain tallow or have been completely discontinued.

My real question is, what's left that still uses tallow and still fits into a regular shave mug?

I have a mug that I think I bought from someone here that contained a rather thin leftover piece of soap (I think it might be Colgate).
Here is a photo.
s-l1600.jpg

So now I'm about through that last little sliver and am wondering what else I can get to replace it.
Williams seems to have changed their formula and then stopped completely.
Colgate seems to have done the same thing.

So what's left that I can use?
I saw that Haslinger still makes pucks but I don't think that they use tallow. I'm not big on the aloe and lanolin anyway.
The same with What the Puck.
I saw a couple of other artisan soaps but they're all big on scent and not soap quality or performance.

Am I stuck trying to find a vintage soap?
I'm not too interested in paying $40 for a puck of williams or colgate.
Do I even trust anyone out there that the item is what they say and not some reformulated imitation?

If "performs like a tallow soap" will suffice then I can heartily recommend the Muhle pucks. They fit in a mug, they are very mildly scented and if I hadn't studied the ingredients list I would swear up & down they were tallow based.

Any puck can be made to fit in any mug. Here is a recent thread about current soaps with tallow.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
So what's left that I can use?
I saw that Haslinger still makes pucks but I don't think that they use tallow. I'm not big on the aloe and lanolin anyway.
There are Haslinger soaps that don't have aloe or lanolin. Try a puck of Ringelblumen (calendula) or Honig. You won't miss the tallow and it'll fit right in that mug (which I consider a bit deep -- I like the Old Spice shape). The two blue Haslinger soaps are great, too ... I just recently finished a puck of Meeresalgen (seaweed). I've used them all but the Sandalwood and think they're a great value.

Cyril R Salter Solid soap, traditional tallow base, about the same as DR Harris but less expensive. Fairly mild barbershop type scent on that one. Two sizes, smaller and larger. Available from Connaught in the UK.

Agree with @nemo that Haslinger would be worth trying. They make smaller 60g pucks that should fit easily in that mug. These are veggie based soaps nowadays, but perform similar to the older tallow based ones. The Sensitive variety has no scent, no lanolin or aloe. Other than that, you might try the Honey, Coconut, Sage, Ringelblumen or Meeresalgen. Much cheaper when ordered from Euro vendors.

Last edited:

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
When I buy a hard soap these days, it's going to be tallow. Do I think tallow is the only possible good soap? NO. Do I think every tallow soap performs well or better? Yes. Do I think in 5 years there will be no other hard tallow soaps other than those from Turkey, YES!. Artisan stuff doesn't count. I want "everyman" soap made with tallow. I'm stock piling. Eventually the fuel industry is going to price the large soap makers out of the tallow market. I want to have a tallow soap in my stable forever that is not from Turkey (IMO they are harsh as harsh can be on the skin, great performers for shave).

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Cyril R Salter Solid soap, traditional tallow base, about the same as DR Harris but less expensive. Fairly mild barbershop type scent on that one. Two sizes, smaller and larger. Available from Connaught in the UK.

Agree with @nemo that Haslinger would be worth trying. They make smaller 60g pucks that should fit easily in that mug. These are veggie based soaps nowadays, but perform similar to the older tallow based ones. The Sensitive variety has no scent, no lanolin or aloe. Other than that, you might try the Honey, Coconut, Sage, Ringelblumen or Meeresalgen. Much cheaper when ordered from Euro vendors.
Never tried the Cyril R Salter, will have to some time and agree on Haslinger. I have the Ringenblumen and like it a lot. Their pucks are great if you have a smaller more traditional size mug. The D.R. Harris soaps are meant for a larger bowl. Of course one can always great and mash into the container of choice. Just don't try microwaving it.

Top Bottom