What's new

Where is the Tallow?!

Sure, I might try some distilled water. Do you see anything wrong in using baking soda?
I have tried citric acid, but not baking soda. There is this thread with some good info:

After some research, I found out that I have some of the hardest water in the country. This would explain why I've been getting poor lather and slickness both from the new Tabac formula and my D. R. Harris puck.
I found some baking soda in the kitchen and decided to add a little to my water. Turns out it made a big difference to the quality of the lather... After I loaded the new puck of Tabac, I had no problems getting a dense and slick lather; it felt quite slick as I ran my fingers through it. I didn't get to do a test shave because I had already shaved earlier today, but I might test it in the next few days.

Seems like the previous formula performed much better with my hard water. I'm curious to see what kind of lather I can get out of my DRH puck.

Do you guys think it is a good idea to be using baking soda in my water?

Citric acid is probably better as a chelating agent but baking soda will work, just not as well. Sodium carbonate (washing soda) is better than baking soda. STPP also works quite well, but no need to go there since citric acid is very effective and easier to find.

Last edited:
I have tried citric acid, but not baking soda. There is this thread with some good info:

I've tried baking soda, it's not bad, just not as good as citric acid I found.

Last edited:
Citric acid is probably better as a chelating agent but baking soda will work, just not as well. Sodium carbonate (washing soda) is better than baking soda. STPP also works quite well, but no need to go there since citric acid is very effective and easier to find.
There was a thread here this week in regards to baking vs washing soda and the latter not suited for natural bristles…

Link

There was a thread here this week in regards to baking vs washing soda and the latter not suited for natural bristles…

Link

I imagine that it can be rather harsh since it will strip natural oils. I'll take a look at that thread and there have certainly been others.

I think in the small amounts as a chelating agent it wouldn't actually hurt the brush, but I would always take citric acid anyway.

I had never tried Tabac and have been meaning to, so this thread got me to roll the dice on a Peter Pann order in the jar. It came up tallow, what can I say. Shaved with it this evening, very pleasant. I don't need back-ups, as I don't have a history with it, but I'm happy to know what Tabac's all about. Thanks to the original poster and everyone who contributed intelligence in the thread!
I've got three pucks coming from Peter Pan as well. We'll see. Also landed one on the Bay that had a photo of the "Old" ingredients. It was his last one.

proxy.php

Since we've veered off about the Isle of Mann and the pros and cons of tallow vs. palm oil in global economics, I don't feel bad in asking the following: What the heck is Peter Pann?

This kind of confirms for me that my purchase was not a bad idea.
I've no interest in adding gallon jugs of distilled water or mixtures of citric acid or sodium bicarbonate to my peaceful shaving routine to accommodate a decision by a soap manufacturer.

They could have just used EDTA like most as a chelating agent and problem solved unless you have limestone juice for water.

From the Maurer & Wirtz corporate sustainability website

"For us, this also includes the production of 100% vegan fragrances in the future; we have already started producing such fragrances."

What does that even mean? Regardless, I somehow imagine its being pathetic.

You know those post apocalyptical movies when the survivors are out scavenging for food and supplies? Pff, who needs that, we die hard wet shavers in the know will be searching for Tabac with tallow :biggrin1:

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
I showed this thread to my wife, reminded her of all the Tabac in the “man freezer”, and then told her that now she should understand why we have 24 flood lights surrounding the outside of our home, 16 security cameras, and an alarm system.
She said in her most sarcastic voice and “look”, “ Oh yes darling you are a genius.”

I knew it!! She still loves me after our 110 years together.

Top Bottom