What's new

Where is the Tallow?!

Looking at the lists of ingredients at Tabac and Speick, can we say that the two soaps have the same exceptional mechanical properties, the difference between them being only perfume? That would be good news for those who don't like the smell of Tabac soap!
Both are good soaps but performance wise I prefer tabac.

but no stress since both are hardly the soaps used most in my case

I was thinking of returning it, but on the other hand I have to know for myself if it's any good. Didn't realize they wouldn't want it shipped back, but I suppose it makes sense for soap or low cost items. Thanks for the heads up!
it might be that they can't sell it again. Once we bought the wrong baby formula in the drugstore. We took it back unopened, they refunded it, but she also said they must bin it anyway.

Thanks for the heads up. Tabac was one of my best performers. I always thought that I could count on it being around. I won’t be in any rush to reorder or try the new formula. There are still plenty of good soaps out there. In a way I’ll be glad to have one less soap in the den.

I guess one day when my new full jar of Tabac with tallow runs out I will get around to trying it out.

View attachment 1304750
Maybe you could do us all a favour? You could slice/grate a small amount of soap from the puck, shave with it and share your thoughts?
It would be interesting for the crowd, I assume. At least, it would be interesting for me... and for science!

[And doing it this way, the rest of the puck will stay clean/fresh.]

Last edited:
I'm dying to get a good review of the new formula in! I had been secretly wishing that one of my pucks was of the tallow free variety just to give it a whirl and share my thoughts. I will remain cautiously optimistic that it is still a spectacular shave soap.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I wouldn’t expect a fair trial around here any time soon.
What would constitute a fair trial?
I think it would be tough to get someone with significant shaving experience that has never tried either version, but that would be a golden standard.
Anyone who has used and liked the tallow version will be discredited by one group as biased in favor of tallow. Anyone who has not used the tallow version will be discredited by another group as not having had the experience to compare the two.
I think we are just going to have to hear what people say in numbers, and make a decision based on the net comments and personal credibility of the reviewers as we perceive them, or do a comparison, each man for himself.

Last edited:
My 2 cents might not even be worth that, but I was a confirmed tallow user. The non-tallow soaps were just not to my liking. Simple enough solution was to stay with tallow. My favorite soaps were MWF, Tabac, DR Harris and Cella.

For some crazy reason I got a bug about trying MdC and bought the Original in the Le Canele bowl. It was my first non-tallow soap in many years and has now become my favorite. What I have found is that there is great slickness, easy lathering (face latherer), not at all drying for me and an overall feeling of “cleanness”.

I use Tabac almost exclusively as my travel soap. I started using a Tabac stick pressed into an old 56g TOBS Traditional (worst soap I ever bought) container and replenish it when my pucks in the milk glass bowl get low. I have one unopened and more than a half puck in use. At some point when I go through these, I will likely try the new formulation and hope it will be as good.

The market place should ultimately determine what happens. I have generally heard a good response to Haslinger’s new formulation, so a change does not mean a repeat of what happened to the formerly great and to many now substandard English soaps.

What would constitute a fair trial?
Anyone who has used and liked the tallow version will be discredited by one group as biased in favor of tallow. Anyone who has not used the tallow version will be discredited by another group as not having had the experience to compare the two.
I think we are just going to have to hear what people say in numbers, and make a decision based on the net comments and personal credibility of the reviewers as we perceive them, or do a comparison, each man for himself.

A controlled experiment with an unbiased overseer utilizing 3 shavers performing several trials (or shaves) using both tallow and non-tallow versions of the soap, and not being informed of which is which, would be a good start. If Mäurer & Wirtz has more than a passing interest in their shave soap, I can assure you they did extensive testing on the new product.

Last edited:
Maybe you could do us all a favour? You could slice/grate a small amount of soap from the puck, shave with it and share your thoughts?
It would be interesting for the crowd, I assume. At least, it would be interesting for me... and for science!

[And doing it this way, the rest of the puck will stay clean/fresh.]
I just started All Arko August so it is a no go at this time. And to be honest I have only used Tabac like 4 times and I made the lather too dry twice. I think someone who has more experience with Tabac and how to lather it would be better able to see how it compares.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
A controlled experiment with an unbiased overseer utilizing 3 shavers performing several trials (or shaves) using both tallow and non-tallow versions of the soap, and not being informed of which is which, would be a good start. If Mäurer & Wirtz has more than a passing interest in their shave soap, I can assure you they did an extensive testing on the new product.
That would work. Probably beyond the means of us being able to make it happen as great as it would be.

I'm looking forward to hearing from several different people about their experience with the new Tabac. You never know.

I've got a mix of tallow and veggie soaps, so I would not rule out the new Tabac being really good, even if not exactly the same. German veggie soaps like Klar Seifen & Golddachs, for instance, manage to lather and perform about as well as Tabac. The people making these soap knew what they were doing, for sure.

I've already got enough soap squirreled away, I won't need to buy more for a few years.

Top Bottom