What's new

When you fly and do not check luggage, what's your razor?

As I understand it, you cannot fly with DE blades unless you check your luggage. With the world slowly opening up, my family will be flying later this year but we do not plan to check our luggage. Even though I don't want to, I plan to just suck it up and use a cartridge razor while on vacation.

Besides checking your luggage, I'm wondering what you hardcore (I'll never use a cartridge!) wet shavers do while on vacation if you carry on luggage. What are your tips? Any sneaky tricks? For example, I wondered if you could get a Henson AL-13 with a few blades stacked and loaded in it through security since it looks a whole lot like a single edge disposable razor.

Any thoughts?
TST

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
One option is to simply buy a tuck of blades when you get to your destination. Shouldn't be a problem to get the razor sans blades through security, the TSA agent may inquire about it and you may need to pull it out and show them it's just a DE only with no blades.

There are members who post blades to the first hotel. Or go on a hunt for blades locally.
I would not want to do that customs trick with an expensive razor. Usually they do not have a sense of humor and it is confiscated. And blades hidden in something could be considered a consealed weapon.

A couple of years back there was a lot of problems due to credit card knifes. And people were fined

There are members who post blades to the first hotel. Or go on a hunt for blades locally.
I would not want to do that customs trick with an expensive razor. Usually they do not have a sense of humor and it is confiscated. And blades hidden in something could be considered a consealed weapon.

A couple of years back there was a lot of problems due to credit card knifes. And people were fined

I agree that I wouldn't risk it either. I don't want to get arrested, have a nice razor confiscated, or be "that guy" in the TSA line. Just curious what other members do. I like the idea of sending a few blades ahead.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Slightly brassy Gillette Fatboy - I have some blades tucked away at some regular out of state places, have done the mail ahead where I was staying in one destination. I have also used Walgreen's blades picked up just outside the airport. I have never used a cart, yet. Last year's two trips were 1) checked bag Feathers, and 2) found the tuck I'd left in the guest bath at my friend's place (blades which had been purchased on a previous trip down there locally)

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
I use a vintage Trac II whether flying or driving, and whether baggage is checked or if it's a carry on. It's a terrific shaver. If I'm staying in one place for several weeks or months I might leave my Classic 1 synthetic brush at home and take something a bit more substantial, but no matter how long I'm away from home the Trac II razor is just fine.

Maybe for the de lovers to find a cheap de or half de razor which shaves well with most blades and use that with local blades. just make sure you remove the blades.
One of the reasons I bought a second snmirn so far it does not disappoint

I have to read it up again but I’m sure that within Europe I can bring a folding knife or a pair of scissors with a blade not exceeding 6cm/2.36‘‘ into the plane. A Vic Classic no problem at all and I have flown with it for years. A DE blades is ~4cm/1.5‘‘ so I guess it should be fine as well.

I love my Fatboy too much to risk it at the hands of a grabby TSA agent, so I leave it at home, along with my daily brush, a Floris badger fifty years old this year; I take along a vintage drugstore boar almost as old, but without the complicated memories associated with the Floris.

Gillette Mach 3 with cartridges, D. R. Harris Arlington shaving soap stick, 4711 cologne is regulation plastic bottle, and I'm ready to travel, once the world opens up again.

I like Bic sensitive disposables a lot, recently bought the Kai s gold disposables to test as well. I have travel planned for this year and I want to be as comfortable as possible shaving wise.

Fwiw the Kai s golds are quite good from my first impression, if a bit small and light, the blade in them makes up for any shodtcomings of the package.

I agree that I wouldn't risk it either. I don't want to get arrested, have a nice razor confiscated, or be "that guy" in the TSA line. Just curious what other members do. I like the idea of sending a few blades ahead.

It's not much of a risk. The TSA has very specific rules about razors in general and safety razors in particular. The agents will be trained on it. Granted, I did have a guy a couple years ago that didn't want to let a precision screwdriver set through so you never know. Another next agent set him straight though.

I hate being without a pocket knife for any length of time so I check a bag anyway on any trip I take that would be long enough that I really would need a shave anyhow. I do have a stash of Dollar Shave Club cartridges around if I need to take them for some reason though.

I love my Fatboy too much to risk it at the hands of a grabby TSA agent, so I leave it at home, along with my daily brush, a Floris badger fifty years old this year; I take along a vintage drugstore boar almost as old, but without the complicated memories associated with the Floris.

Yeah that's good thinking there. Many years ago when I was young and dumb (as opposed to old and dumb now!) I was on a quick trip just with my backpack. Like an idiot I had my whole silver shave set with me that I'd bought in London on my honeymoon - Super Badger brush with silver-plated handle, silver-plated razor and sterling silver bowl. Backpack got stolen. Seriously ruined shaving for me for years I was that heart-broken.

Top Bottom