What's new

What's Your Favorite 80's Movie?

Ghostbusters and Big Trouble in Little China

"Just remember what ol' Jack Burton does when the earth quakes, and the poison arrows fall from the sky, and the pillars of Heaven shake. Yeah, Jack Burton just looks that big ol' storm right square in the eye and he says, 'Give me your best shot, pal. I can take it.'"

"Just remember what ol' Jack Burton does when the earth quakes, and the poison arrows fall from the sky, and the pillars of Heaven shake. Yeah, Jack Burton just looks that big ol' storm right square in the eye and he says, 'Give me your best shot, pal. I can take it.'"

I gotta throw one more out there:
"Henry Swanson's my name and excitement's my game."
- Cash or Charge?
"Oh gosh, cash, I guess. I mean it's not deductible is it."

Definitely The Karate Kid Series, but mostly the first one.

I got excited when I found the Cobra Kai Series on Youtube, where Danny and Johnny are older. I'm waiting for Season 3!

shavefan

I’m not a fan
So many great movies in the 80's, and many mentioned already. One I haven't seen mentioned yet is The Beastmaster (1982). Another one is Clash of the Titans (1981)

So many great movies in the 80's, and many mentioned already. One I haven't seen mentioned yet is The Beastmaster (1982). Another one is Clash of the Titans (1981)

It doesn't get any better than Sir Laurence Olivier as Zeus! And Maggie Smith used to be stunningly gorgeous.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Oh, another one not yet mentioned. . . Valley Girl (1983). I believe this was Nicholas Cage's first leading role. Great soundtrack, this movie opened my world to new music. Most notably for me, The Plimsouls.

Nicholas Cage, reminds me of some other great 80's films. Rumblefish (1983) Francis Ford Coppola, great cast, Stuart Copeland soundtrack. Also, Raising Arizona (1987).

Mickey Rourke, The Pope of Greenwich Villiage (1984), one of my favorites.

Last edited:

Ol' Jack Burton says . . . what the hell.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I think I would have to pick "Raiders of the Lost Ark."

Speilberg was going for the old serials that the theatres showed back in the day, and he nailed it.

I had to sit through a 9pm showing of a Sean Connery sci-fi movie to see it for free on opening night. I'd read all about it in "Rolling Stone" magazine.

I thought it was the best movie I'd ever seen, and it's still right up there.

I laughed so hard when he pulled out his revolver and shot the guy with the sword, after outrunning about a hundred others!

I'm an old, cranky bugger so not too many movies after the 1950s I care to revisit. After reviewing previous posts here, I vote Christmas Story which my wife and I watch once a year. I also like Terminator and Dragnet, but me wife would disagree. She's more negative about them, there "modern" movies than I am.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
One assumes you know the backstory on that scene, yes?

Also, would the Connery film have been Outland?
Yes, I think the article in Rolling Stone may have even mentioned it. Heck, I'm so forgetful that it might be a memory of someone else! But you are korreck my friend, 'Outland' was the movie.

It wasn't terrible. I think it was supposed to be a outer space play on "High Noon"..... maybe.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
Oh, another one not yet mentioned. . . Valley Girl (1983). I believe this was Nicholas Cage's first leading role. Great soundtrack, this movie opened my world to new music.

Oh My God! Like Really! Whatever happened to Deborah Foreman?

Top Bottom