What's new

What's Your Favorite 80's Movie?

The dialog in a lot of '80s films was classic. Notice? We still quote Terminator, Ghostbusters, and Wrath of Khan.

Terminator has one of the great last scenes and last lines of all time:

[A gas station in the desert. Sarah pulls up in her jeep with her dog. A small boy cries, "Viene la tormenta!"]
Sarah (to gas station guy): What'd he say?
Gas Station Guy: He said a storm is coming.
Sarah (gazing off into the distance, remembering what Reese has told her about the coming battle with Skynet): I know. . . .

Ghostbusters had a special kind of sly humor, for example:

[As the team rides up in the hotel elevator]
Peter: . . . Each of us is wearing an unlicensed nuclear accelerator on his back.
Ray: We still haven't had a full field test of this equipment.
Egon: I blame myself.
Peter (poker-faced): So do I.

And Wrath of Khan's dialog rang not only true, but eternal.

I haven't read the whole thread, but I'd be surprised if no one mentioned Die Hard. Not only a terrific adventure (based on a good novel by Roderick Thorp), not only a star-making turn by Bruce Willis and by Alan Rickman as one of the great film villains, but dynamite dialog that we still quote to this day:

Hans Gruber (as they watch the vault swing open, thanks to the FBI cutting the power): The circuits that cannot be cut are cut automatically in response to a terrorist incident. You asked for miracles, Theo, I give you the F . . . B . . . I.

Holly McClane: After all your posturing, all your little speeches, you're nothing but a common thief.
Hans Gruber (leaning in close to hiss through his teeth): I am an exceptional thief, Mrs. McClane!

And more lines from John McClane which I can't really quote on a family forum. . . .

I haven't read the whole thread, but I'd be surprised if no one mentioned Die Hard. Not only a terrific adventure (based on a good novel by Roderick Thorp), not only a star-making turn by Bruce Willis and by Alan Rickman as one of the great film villains, but dynamite dialog that we still quote to this day:

Hans Gruber (as they watch the vault swing open, thanks to the FBI cutting the power): The circuits that cannot be cut are cut automatically in response to a terrorist incident. You asked for miracles, Theo, I give you the F . . . B . . . I.

Holly McClane: After all your posturing, all your little speeches, you're nothing but a common thief.
Hans Gruber (leaning in close to hiss through his teeth): I am an exceptional thief, Mrs. McClane!

And, since I'm moving onto kidnapping, you might want to be more polite.

And more lines from John McClane which I can't really quote on a family forum. . . .

See bolded . . . you missed the last part, which sells the turn from urbane thief, to deadly criminal.

Not a favorite, but I just rewatched Footloose last night for the first time in probably 30+ years. What a dated cringefest. In a fun way, though. Chris Penn is the highlight of the movie by far.
Yeah, they wasted that super-exciting song by Bonnie Tyler, "Holding Out for a Hero," on . . . a game of tractor chicken?!?

As I recall, though, they did not paint the minister father as all bad.

Top Bottom