What's new

What's your coffee today? What brew method? Photos

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
That’s exactly why I did it.
The first Yes album I ever bought. Featuring Trevor Rabin. :)

R.jpg

R (1).jpg

I tried leaving my French Press for 5 minutes instead of 4... and I could taste a bit of bitterness absent at the 4 minute mark.

I did read, in James Hoffmann's book "How to make the best coffee at home" that you could bloom the coffee grinds in the French Press by adding a small amount of water, stirring and letting it set for 30 seconds.... then filling the French Press the rest of the way up, stir and wait the 4 minutes. I've been doing that for 5 or 6 days now and the coffee is consistently smooth with no signs of bitterness.

I will watch the above YouTube video and see what I think.
I have been staring at coffee control charts for hours yesterday and feel like I can help your situation better than my own! French Press doesn't fit neatly on the chart, but the same parameters are still in play.

I have to admit that I have always brewed French Press for three minutes, this lowers the extraction(possibly too much) and thereby reduces the bitterness. The problem with this is that you have to grind finer, I have used standard drip grind as a starting place in the past. Keeping the agitation low and as previously discussed, the lower temperature keeps the extraction lower. I wanted to come up with something coherent to say beyond the fact that I don't like lower temperatures, how else can you lower the extraction!?

So what you are trying to do is target the bottom left corner of the SCA ideal balance box, bordering on underdeveloped. Without a long explanation, French Press usually benefits from a lower ratio of coffee to water, but that risks putting you into underdevelopment if you don't make the coffee stronger than you want(intensity, not bitterness). If you pick one of the more moderate ratios like 1:15 or 1:16, set your water temp and then grind till it tastes right at 3 minutes, you might get in the ballpark of what you are looking for! If it's not bitter, but too weak then you need a lower ratio and a step or two finer grind to keep your total brew time the same. If this goes back to bitter, you did too many steps on the grinder. If it tastes sour and lifeless(underdeveloped) you actually need a higher ratio and a finer grind. If you simply grind finer, you will increase the strength of the coffee and eventually hit bitterness again. By increasing the ratio as well, you are moving the extraction up without making the coffee stronger. You can't tell exactly where you are on the chart without a refractometer, but some guessing makes the solution obvious regardless.

Pretty slow night here on the forums...

Finished up my Cafe Aroma espresso this morning in the Bunn so once I clean out my canister really well, I'll open up my new can of Chock Full O' Nuts and see how that goes. It's odd that I'd be excited to try something like that but that's the way this hobby works for me. ;) KISS principle some days and then all "geeky" other days. Similar to shaving, I guess.

Hope everyone has a good day!

You’re trolling me right now ain’t ya? :)

Cade Du Mond! Yep, trolling. ;). I used to love me a hint of chicory root. :)

So far, I haven’t found that I get any angina pains from any type of instant coffee that appears to be in a freeze dried crystal form. I know the Swiss water process is an excellent and preferable way to de-caffeinate compared to the chemical process of other brands.
Have you tried....
540-600x600-Product_Front-7_oz-Coffee_and_Chicory-786.png

It may help you get something similar to cafe du monde that you could drink...

These past two mornings, I've had a mix of an intensely fruity and delicious Ethiopia mixed with a pretty poor Ethiopia. French Press, then Switch.

I'm not sure how or why, but when combined, all traces of fruitiness and florality disappear. I get a lovely, full-bodied, cocoa-heavy cup. It's what I shoot for when I roast Huehue's near 2nd crack, but these were taken to about the end of first crack.

Mind boggling. If I hadn't had the better of the two Ethiopias by itself the day before, I'd blame my taste buds. I might still blame them, but my girlfriend had the same observations unprompted.

Delicious coffee!

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I have been staring at coffee control charts for hours yesterday and feel like I can help your situation better than my own! French Press doesn't fit neatly on the chart, but the same parameters are still in play.

I have to admit that I have always brewed French Press for three minutes, this lowers the extraction(possibly too much) and thereby reduces the bitterness. The problem with this is that you have to grind finer, I have used standard drip grind as a starting place in the past. Keeping the agitation low and as previously discussed, the lower temperature keeps the extraction lower. I wanted to come up with something coherent to say beyond the fact that I don't like lower temperatures, how else can you lower the extraction!?

So what you are trying to do is target the bottom left corner of the SCA ideal balance box, bordering on underdeveloped. Without a long explanation, French Press usually benefits from a lower ratio of coffee to water, but that risks putting you into underdevelopment if you don't make the coffee stronger than you want(intensity, not bitterness). If you pick one of the more moderate ratios like 1:15 or 1:16, set your water temp and then grind till it tastes right at 3 minutes, you might get in the ballpark of what you are looking for! If it's not bitter, but too weak then you need a lower ratio and a step or two finer grind to keep your total brew time the same. If this goes back to bitter, you did too many steps on the grinder. If it tastes sour and lifeless(underdeveloped) you actually need a higher ratio and a finer grind. If you simply grind finer, you will increase the strength of the coffee and eventually hit bitterness again. By increasing the ratio as well, you are moving the extraction up without making the coffee stronger. You can't tell exactly where you are on the chart without a refractometer, but some guessing makes the solution obvious regardless.
I did try something new today based on that YouTube video posted in the other coffee thread. I kept the water temperature at 185F and used the same semi-coarse grind from the hand cranked KINGrinder K-1. I guess you could say, it's dried bread crumb fineness. The change I made was to make sure to scoop off the foam at the 4 minute mark..... then he said to let it set for another 5 minutes. I couldn't seem to manage that but I did hit the plunger at 6 minutes. I think the main difference was.... I didn't push the plunger all the way until it hit the top cap. I stopped it when the grounds just touched the bottom.

Several coffee "experts" online suggested 60 grams of coffee to 500 grams of filtered water. That has to be Very strong coffee. I use 40 grams to around 950 grams of water....way, Way less than they recommend. It's perfect for me. I guess I don't drink strong coffee. ;)

The final results today.... smooth.. Smooooth Yeti Rambler full of delicious coffee. Again, I have been stuck on Don Pablo's Signature blend for months now. It is nice.

Edit: I am using the Timeless Basic Pro scale now... it has an accuracy to 0.01 grams... one coffee bean is 0.01 gram, for point of reference. As I stated earlier, our kitchen scale is only accurate to 1 gram.. lots of leeway there.

Top Bottom