What's new

What's your coffee today? What brew method? Photos

Ethiopian Gigi Allona Organic with a touch of half and half. Done with an auto drip (Bunn)
FC078936-2895-481B-8E73-5544C26D07D8.jpeg

I usually roast my own organic beans , but I was gifted a bad of pre-roasted Pete's BIG BANG beans. The name does not indicate a super caffeine bean, but rather the first coffee Pete's brewed years ago. A coarse grind in a brass Turkish grinder and a PHIN brewing resulted in a really mellow highly aromatic cup. Major Dickinson's is their #1 seller, but I like this bean even more.

A delicious Ethiopia Danche from our friends at Heart Coffee in Portland. Bartavelle mug from my wife’s cafe here in Berkeley. Kinda comical, despite a weekly delivery to our house of 80lbs (or more) of beans, we often forget to stock the house. You can imagine the grumpy, under caffeinated, texts from me to the cafe.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    935.8 KB · Views: 9
Yemen Bani Haraz in a Stag XF pour over. Taste good, but not sure this is worth the premium price.

After multiple failures with this coffee, I finally figured out the problem! Rest time, these Yemen coffees need a lot of it. I had initially rested it 5 days, I am at 7 and it is just barely usable right now. It really needs 9 days+ for espresso. I was really shocked how volcanic my last pour over attempt was, something similar to only 1 day rest with other coffees. It got me thinking about my trouble making espresso and I finally realised what the problem was. The grounds must be de-gassing in the puck and opening up channels, you can feel the initial resistance and then the pressure plummets.

Half Peet's Decaf Organic Terrena, half Stumptown Roasters Holler Mountain (also organic) in the French press at the office, with some Sweet Cream creamer and half-and-half.

I've been making do with a whirly-blade grinder, but I'm stepping up to something better and looking forward to grinding fewer beans at a time, just in time. I'm actually getting two so that I can have them ready for single-cup use: one set for Turkish (office) and one set for pour-over (home). And unless the deal falls through, I'm also getting a used Peugeot Mokka grinder, which I will set for French press (home).

It's a (rare) WFH day, so two cups of San Francisco Bay Coffee's Rainforest Blend (organic), both pour-over with a metal mesh filter, enhanced with:
  1. A splash of Irish Cream because, well, WFH; and
  2. A little brown sugar and some half-and-half.
The cup was a gift from a departing employee - not my direct-report - who had appreciated my mentorship. I really treasure this cup. :)

CotD_081022.jpg

The coffee was nice, but I'm really curious about what happens when I have freshly-ground (by hand) coffee with a consistent grind.

Last edited:
Top Bottom