What's new

What's your coffee today? What brew method? Photos

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I've mentioned this one before.... but we're on our 5th 5 pound bag now.... Don Pablo Signature coffee beans. It's a blend of beans from Brazil, Columbia and Guatemala. Medium roast... very smooth. But they have other varieties too. Not too expensive compared to the boutique roasters.

And I bought two of these 2.5 pound (dry beans) in which to store them: https://www.amazon.com/Airscape-Coffee-Storage-Canister-Beans/dp/B07W5R6LW8/

I couldn't be more pleased. They come in three colors, I think... we got the matte light grey. I think the other two are black and some version of white. I ordered ours from the company in Montana direct (Planetary Design)...... but they didn't get them shipped out right away and ended up being more expensive that getting them from Amazon Prime. From what I read, it's worth is to buy the Anodized Stainless Steel vs. the glass ones... several people reported the glass ones shattering in use... not from dropping them.

Pour Over
proxy.php

linty1

My wallet cries.
Went to a roaster I found… seemed nice, showed me his big roaster and storage tubs and such.. said I was looking for a lighter roast and schwooom he poured me a bag from a big tube thing. Didnt charge me… though now that Im home… trying to find out what/where beans are from and nary a mention… nothing on bag or website.

03CD5B74-BD6F-4D3F-82BB-45F2F730C602.jpeg

E3DD5495-D13E-4284-9CC2-25310C7E0A2A.jpeg

16D902AB-220B-45EA-98AC-8940A43B04D3.jpeg

Weird. Most coffee roasters are quick to tell you where they are sourced from… oh well. Onto the brew.

linty1

My wallet cries.
The grind:
E65A5BC2-5B38-459A-A977-3BFEDFA85C29.jpeg

And the pull:
70D57C6C-EC25-4EA7-BD22-1C453B35294F.jpeg

The moment I started to pull I knew I had ground too coarse. It always takes me 2-3 pulls to dial in grind for a new bag. I tried to sorta ease up on pressure a bit. Resulting cup is kinda weak, a little bitter after taste. Go and set the grind a little finer so I dont forget next time.

Oh well, the good thing about espresso is that there isnt a huge waste and I can still (kinda) drink what I pulled. Its not like a huge batch of something I gotta toss nor is the process such a long strenuous one that adjustments/messups are super costly. Part of the joy.

Also on a side note, while the guy at the roastery had said this was his lightest roast… while def lighter than the Starbucks “house blend” its still pretty dark… maybe a medium? I do like my light roasts. Lemme… yeh checking their website again its their “medium roast” is prob what I got. I’ll survive lol

linty1

My wallet cries.
@Wid Sweet cream is such a nice treat, love it.

So turned the grind setting a few over finer, and pulled again:

94A79644-1121-43BC-969B-5D6F0039EE7E.jpeg

7F8A32D6-259F-4CAD-A80C-2EE84E7AD5EC.jpeg

And the shot above but with water to make americano:

EF1B0399-B30D-45EF-A359-ED540D2264A9.jpeg

Much closer/better, I think I will nudge the grinder a slight nudge over finer… but this is pretty close.. thank goodness for stepless grinders.

Contemplated a shave while the house is empty… but sitting here is mighty comfy. Happy Sunday folks.

My 'On the Oil Rig' daily coffee is made with a Kingrinder hand grinder, mini Bodum kettle, inverted Areopress & Thai Arabica beans - a 50/50 mix of BlueKoff 4.5 and 5

Bluekoff coffee

Water off the boil into Aeropress, stir and steep for two and a half minutes, press, add a bit more hot water and add sweetened condensed milk for my version of a (Lazy) Cafe Au Lait.

linty1

My wallet cries.
E8CC3FA5-95E7-4CD3-AE4A-F42ADFEBBF4B.jpeg

Was at Whole Foods and thought... well if I'm gunna spend $5 on a drink might as well pick something new... this is a "Tumeric Latte". Its got a little ginger like zip. They brew it with "Allegro" beans which I've seen around (local roaster I beleive). Exactly where the beans are from etc I didn't look. I finished half out of curiosity, and am saving the other half in the fridge.

Top Bottom