What's new

What's your best LOOKING finisher?

I love grey stones but most people don't find the color grey as pretty so I will go with this big(1.6kg), full size kiita iromono. Picture was taken wet.

fullsizeoutput_23f.jpeg

View attachment 973696 View attachment 973697 I remember that one. I couldn’t believe it was a PDS. I finally got one for myself, BTW. It’s small and the top is badly dished so I just use the back side.
Oh nice, that's the stone from the other thread... the "rare yellow vein". Nice snag. So it turned out to be a PDSO. Congrats. Glad someone got it who can appreciate it. Was sorry I missed it. Love the look of the back and sides (that worn in glazed quality from a century in a paddle).

If you do decide to lap the dish out ever, don't worry, they lap pretty easily in my experience... most are softer than Thuri's under a diamond plate (even the ones that feel hard under a razor). If you don't want to lose the depth though, that's understandable. My first one ever (years and years ago) had a severe dish like that, and I lost half the stone getting it flat enough to use.

Last edited:

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Oh nice, that's the stone from the other thread... the "rare yellow vein". Nice snag. So it turned out to be a PDSO. Congrats. Glad someone got it who can appreciate it. Was sorry I missed it. Love the look of the back and sides (that worn in glazed quality from a century in a paddle).

If you do decide to lap the dish out ever, don't worry, they lap pretty easily in my experience... most are softer than Thuri's under a diamond plate (even the ones that feel hard under a razor). If you don't want to lose the depth though, that's understandable. My first one ever (years and years ago) had a severe dish like that, and I lost half the stone getting it flat enough to use.
Yeah the back is neat. I doubt I’ll ever lap it I think the dish is kinda cool, plus I don’t use it all that often anyway.

Beauty. Looks extremely pure and speedy?

Thank you David. The slurry turns black fast. Not a very hard stone but for razor honing and the amount of pressure used it won't self slurry. At least not obviously. With a kanna blade it kicks up slurry.

Here is my best looking finisher.
View attachment 973701

Vendor pic, he described it as a La Rose coticule.
It's a wonderfull finisher and I'm still in the process of unlocking all of it's secrets.

Beautiful! I really need to work with some coticules. Yes, secrets of the natural stone are where it’s at...I think that’s what makes them so interesting. I probably wouldn’t hone if that’s all there were were synthetic stones.

timwcic

"Look what I found"
This mystery green hone has turned into my flavor of the month. Found in a barn on a orange grove, it has been given up some fab edges. I like this beautiful stone

5FB30BA0-D81C-4EEE-BC55-A2F14B7A984F.jpeg
F8CF4D29-6FE5-45B5-8BC1-7E73FADBCD87.jpeg

Performance Jnats :)

No Idea where they are from other than Japan.
Kawa on the large one is characteristic of Nakayama but that doesn't mean anything.
The one to the right of the forth photo is the only labeled or stamped one I own. It is a Nakayama Kiita from Maxim at Jns.
The one to the left of the forth photo has a Kawa characteristic of Ozuku (ridiculously hard) but again its only a guess.
I just posted the ones with the most character.
I love that they look like rocks!

Haha and beautiful rocks they are! Jns had some nice ones that I was tempted grab but they got snatched up with the sale.

Prices have jumped quite a bit since I bought mine.
I do not need any more, I have at least one for every occasion/type of steel, not to mention other naturals.
It would have to be a pretty special stone for me to acquire it at this point.
All the stones I now have are a premium quality in their category. German, French, Welsh, Belgian, Japanese, and Canadian.
I'm a lucky man.

Top Bottom