What's new

What's your best LOOKING finisher?

After a lot of work at honing I can finally say I'm very happy with the edges I can put on with a few different stones. I have successfully achieved 2 or 3-pass BBS shaves with a number of finishers, including several different coticules, a couple different Thuringians, a Charnley, a Tam O'Shanter, and several different barber hones (with the Frictionite 00 and Lakeside being my favorite).

Now, even though I prefer my Charnley edges to others that I have done, I still use the others stones often just for enjoyment or aesthetic purposes. So that got me thinking about how if I can get acceptable or even good edges out of a bunch of different stones, then the visual appearance of a stone really starts to matter (at least to me). My question is this: If we were to define a finisher as anything that improves the edge of a Norton 8k, what is your best LOOKING finishing stone? I would love to see some images of real beauties and exemplars from a lot of you, and if you're like me I know you have some pride in the stones you have collected, harbored, and maintained and many have considered this question before.

Then maybe we can have a poll for who owns the "Helen of Troy" finishing stone. Oh, and Seraphim if you want to post some of your gorgeous "lapping film"...go ahead :)

My best looking finishing stone is my Tam O'Shanter (yes, it's a finisher).

$ScreenShot014.jpg

I love the look of my CNAT:
proxy.php

proxy.php

and I don't know if you can see this very well, but there is a beauty in a surgical black with oil on it. It's what I think of when I read of Vetinari's* stygium signet ring. It's like it goes through black and out the other side.
proxy.php

*nod to Pratchett fans everywhere.

Beautiful. Looks like birds flying over a beach on a grey afternoon.

After a lot of work at honing I can finally say I'm very happy with the edges I can put on with a few different stones. I have successfully achieved 2 or 3-pass BBS shaves with a number of finishers, including several different coticules, a couple different Thuringians, a Charnley, a Tam O'Shanter, and several different barber hones (with the Frictionite 00 and Lakeside being my favorite).

Now, even though I prefer my Charnley edges to others that I have done, I still use the others stones often just for enjoyment or aesthetic purposes. So that got me thinking about how if I can get acceptable or even good edges out of a bunch of different stones, then the visual appearance of a stone really starts to matter (at least to me). My question is this: If we were to define a finisher as anything that improves the edge of a Norton 8k, what is your best LOOKING finishing stone? I would love to see some images of real beauties and exemplars from a lot of you, and if you're like me I know you have some pride in the stones you have collected, harbored, and maintained and many have considered this question before.

Then maybe we can have a poll for who owns the "Helen of Troy" finishing stone. Oh, and Seraphim if you want to post some of your gorgeous "lapping film"...go ahead :)

My best looking finishing stone is my Tam O'Shanter (yes, it's a finisher).

View attachment 292715

I don't know that this is actually the 'best looking' finisher.
Plus - it's a well rounded stone so it's not 'just' a finisher.
But - it kicks *** from A-Z so...

Ozuku and friends

proxy.php

Possibly prettier - beauty is in the eye of the beholder though. Again- not purely a 'finisher'. Okudo Suita & Tomo

proxy.php

I don't know that this is actually the 'best looking' finisher.
Plus - it's a well rounded stone so it's not 'just' a finisher.
But - it kicks *** from A-Z so...

Ozuku and friends

proxy.php

Possibly prettier - beauty is in the eye of the beholder though. Again- not purely a 'finisher'. Okudo Suita & Tomo

proxy.php

Wow, that Okudo Suita is just stunning. It belongs on the planet Arakis...it looks like spice melange "He who controls the spice, controls the universe".

Don't want to seem narcissistic but I think I'm my best looking finisher! ;)

gamma, your second jnat looks like a huge block of nougat.... Beautiful.

Ok here's mine, the one in the middle.

Attachments

• $08B48C29-512C-4A1B-91AA-273555D5B63C-1270-0000029053BC062D.jpg
    $08B48C29-512C-4A1B-91AA-273555D5B63C-1270-0000029053BC062D.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 410
Last edited:
Awesome cotis, I'm assuming that's a La Veinette in the middle? Love me some manganese.

Top Bottom