What's new

What's your best LOOKING finisher?

One of my mystery stones has similar chisel marks on the back. Kind of makes me suspect it's a possible Jnat, but really it's a grasping at straws scenario, because I have no damn clue.

Shawshank redemption model?
Could be - size would be right.

Just went had a close look at mine. I don't think it is a geology hammer. They look like a chisel was used showing intermittent hits.
A geology hammer is the shape of a brick hammer but much, much smaller. Typically blows from that would have a stop at the end of the blow and graduate in depth slightly from beginning of hit till the end.

Last edited:

timwcic

"Look what I found"
Really awesome either way! So how do you typically use it?

Been using while touching up some tuggers. First few times, only water to get a feel for the stone. Last few times with ballistol/water and spritzed with water as it got thick and sticky. Will try oil next and see what I can squeeze out

HGH (Canadian)

proxy.php

Wide Jnat

proxy.php

Baby got back!

proxy.php

Another Jnat,

proxy.php

She's got back too! Chisel marks,

proxy.php

What is a HGH (Canadian)

So I've got a handful of stones that I think are each exceptionally attractive in their own ways. Most I'm sure have been posted here before, but here they are again.

Left to right or top to bottom:

Nakayama Karasu - My oldest "razor" hone.

Pierre Du Levant - The only razor grade turkey hone I've ever owned (I've owned a lot of turkey hones). Got it from the French eBayer who bundles french razors and hones, completely flawless (which Turkey stones basically never are... hence why it is probably so small).

Coticule - Coticules come in all kinds of pretty and for all kinds of reasons. Salmon color, particularly interesting grains, Manganese lines, hybrid swirls, or in this case, the "dalmation" or "nails" spots. If I were asked which of my coticules was the most striking, it'd be this one.

Then three Pierre du Sud Ouests. These hones run the gamut from yellow/orange to dark, almost blue green. And they come in a variety of patterns. Some are plain as could be. Others have banding, others swirling, others a camo-like pattern, others wiry stripes... heck I even have a purple stone I suspect is one despite nothing on any others I've ever seen suggesting they could ever be purple.

These are three of my prettiest:

The first is probably my most expensive one. These stones are rare outside of flea markets in France, and even rarer that the sellers know what they have. This is one of the stones I've purchased from another collector of these types. If I recall it was a fair bit over $100, but it was the most surface area I'd seen on one at the time and one of the rarer (thin tiger stripes) patterns.

The next is one I can thank David for. It was all oil and gunked up when I bought it and is a standard 7x1.5" Escher cut. He found it on eBay and pointed it out to me if I wanted too gamble, and I snapped it up in a second (Was all of $25 BIN if I remember right). I was pretty confident it would turn out to be a gunked up Escher. Instead I got the craziest looking PDSO I'd ever (and still have ever) seen.

And lastly is my first PDSO. A deep orange color (I used to describe it as looking like the colored pictures of Jupiter) I bought this hoping for a coticule back in the days when I had little if any experience with coticules. Fought with it for weeks wondering why it was so slow with slurry and then shelved it for years before I got my second (much greener) example of these stones, and actually set about figuring out what they were.

There are also pictures of the coticule and the middle PDSO's backsides, as they are very different front and back.

Attachments

• IMG_1999.JPG
    IMG_1999.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 42
  • IMG_2001.JPG
    IMG_2001.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 42
  • IMG_2002.JPG
    IMG_2002.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 34
  • IMG_2003.JPG
    IMG_2003.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 35
  • IMG_2004.JPG
    IMG_2004.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 34
  • IMG_2005.JPG
    IMG_2005.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 31
  • IMG_2006.JPG
    IMG_2006.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 32
  • IMG_2007.JPG
    IMG_2007.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 35
Not going digging (causes me to spend a lot of time honing) but here is a recent acquisition that has a nice pattern to it. Been looking for one of these with red streaks in it as well but no luck so far.

81551E31-8E77-4B3A-B25F-C6A488EC2D8F.jpeg
CCB0883F-0D73-4D65-A9F4-35F631547229.jpeg

Top Bottom