What's new

whats the most you've paid for a razor? (all types included se/de/straight etc)

£50 GBP for my Twig. Worth every penny. So about 67 USD? Everything else has been new for less than £25 or vintage for as little as £5.

After spending a few months searching for a Fat Boy in the wild, I found two and spent $40 a piece for them. Which must have appeased the Fat Boy gods because the most I've paid for the next 4 Fat Boys; yeah, I have a weakness for Fat Boys. Wait, now that I'm reading that, it sounds bad... I really like Fat Boys (crap, even worse.) [heavy sigh] Okay, it's like this, I really like the Gillette 195 Adjustable Razor and keep finding them in the wild and haven't paid more than ~$8 a piece on the next 4 I've found (including a cased D4) in the wild. {whew}

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
When I was collecting ASR(American Safety Razor corporation) razors that can be hard for certain models like the SE Everready Streamline or a SE Star bar#4 lather catcher(very rare) razors so I went scouring for months to EBAY UK & EBAY US & bought a user grade Streamline 2nd generation hard to find and the Star bar #4 model and both were approximately $100 Canadian each with the exchange rate counted in. The Star bar lather catcher is one of my favorite razors (tame mid range)and might of been the last of the Lather catcher models Star brand MFG(Kampfe brothers, Brooklyn NY)manufactured before resorting to mainly manufacturing SE 1912models and some DE razors. Kampfe brothers where the first manufactures of safety razors in USA and world wide and their products are still fetching high dollars. The Everready 1950's Streamline 2nd generation(upper mid range) is well built razor and it took a few attempts to dial it in but another interesting ASR razor in my collection and shaves great. Would I buy them again if lost, YUP!
(L) Everready Streamline 2nd Generation 1950's.......................(R) Star bar #4, Mfg 1919-20(Kampfe brothers, Brooklyn NY)
Everready streamline razor 1949-53 2nd Gen-March 14 2019 (2).jpg
Star lather catcher Model #4 MFG 1919-20(2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

Last edited:
$60 on a modern machined stainless razor, which in hindsight was a waste of time AND money.

$25 (each) has gotten me several vintage Gillettes that are all awesome in their own way.

After spending a few months searching for a Fat Boy in the wild, I found two and spent $40 a piece for them. Which must have appeased the Fat Boy gods because the most I've paid for the next 4 Fat Boys; yeah, I have a weakness for Fat Boys. Wait, now that I'm reading that, it sounds bad... I really like Fat Boys (crap, even worse.) [heavy sigh] Okay, it's like this, I really like the Gillette 195 Adjustable Razor and keep finding them in the wild and haven't paid more than ~$8 a piece on the next 4 I've found (including a cased D4) in the wild. {whew}

A $40 Fatboy is my biggest dollar purchase as well!

That was on my second Fatboy which came with a case.

My first Fatboy was in far better shape and cost $5.

I'm still on the prowl for my next cheap & wild Fatboy.

...not ashamed of how that sounds

Season 2 Coffee GIF by The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air

lasta

Blade Biter
~$200 for a Thiers Issard, before realizing that my $10 Stainless Raketa is easier to hone and shave with.

~150 for an ATT S1, before realizing that's about the total I paid for 5 of my Gillette New/NI's, all of which are better made razors...

My Blackland Blackbird SS SB... and I think it was a reasonable price for an excellent piece of equipment with unique styling.

Although on average my straight razors have cost me US$28, On three occasions I have spent US$110 on a straight, each time on 16/16ths or 17/16ths Wade & Butchers when they have little wear and original scales. On each one, I have brought them back to shave ready and assured my wife that when I eventually get rid of them, they'll go for more. This seems to be my ongoing rationalization whenever I spend too much on a old vintage straight. I don't know if she believes me or if she's quietly thinking I've lost my marbles.

as of now, the top dollar amount is $400. But I think I'm done. I no longer have any grails and there are only some very obscure razors I MIGHT be interested in.

Seen elsewhere and plagiarized here... My most expensive razor is the one I don't use.

I believe the most I paid was for a titanium Timeless OC with a scalloped cap and I honestly don't remember how much it cost. In my mind, that's a good thing. If I can remember how little I paid for something it's because it was a great deal. If I can remember how much I paid for something it's because it was a big deal. If I can't remember, it means my wallet has recovered from most of the damage.

The most I intend to spend for a razor hasn't been decided yet, but it will most likely be for a Wolfman WR2 in one of three blade gaps. I've recently passed on some nice listings but one thing I've learned since joining B&B is what was offered once will most likely be offered again; I just need to be patient.

Last edited:
Top Bottom