What's new

What's on your work bench right now?

Crown Razor Co., Boston. Looks pretty straightforward.

20220213_113607.jpg

Finally, John Heiffor in his new replacement black horn scales. The good quality plastic scales he came in just didn't feel quite right for the time period.

Life has not been easy for John and I am happy for him to be in a new pair of scales. This project went on longer than I expected, but I did learn a few things along the way:
  • The wedge sandwich technique that I reported earlier worked well.
  • The cabinet scraper works well for rounding the tops.
  • It is very easy to sharpen a cabinet scraper, especially when you have a Hock Tools burnisher.
  • Horn is easy to polish by hand using Mothers polish. So shiny I had to lightly rub the finish with steel wool to dull it ever so slightly.
I should add that it is too bad John Heiffor razors are not more plentiful in the US. He made some nice razors!

1645473669303.png

1645473737294.png

Attachments

• 1645473570331.png
    1645473570331.png
    2 MB · Views: 3
When I started restoring blades, my natural inclination was the finer, the shinier the better. For this Wostenholm Pipe I went back, looked at 2000 grit raw and 2000 grit with polish finishes, and then sanded one side of the Pipe to 800, the other side to 1200 and then applied one light round of Mothers to the toe portion of both faces.

Of all the finishes, my favorite is 1200 with one light round of Mothers - see below - with the comment that camera makes the grind marks look more pronounced than to the human eye.

I even had a second pair of eyes (my son's) look at the finishes and he too preferred the 1200 with one light round of Mothers.

1645708060627.png

Just for fun (I had to know), I tried gently rubbing 1200 in circular motions on the back face of the Wostenholm Pipe. Disaster - looked like Curious Geoge got into the razors and sandpaper, and I had to redo the uniform scratch pattern. Now I know!

I decided to use the sandwich method for the replacement scales. Preparing the sandwich.

1645988418445.png

Ready to eat.

1645988455425.png

Ready for shaping.

1645988532535.png

No pics yet but my shave den is being worked on nice little cabinet with a glass door and a drawer. I have refinished it and am awaiting new hardware and will be stenciling an image on the glass door soon

Peening/pinning is much easier and forgiving than it looks.

Practice by pinning 3 popsicle or tongue depressors with the middle stick acting as the razor, or pinning tongue depressors as scales to a blade. Popsicle and tongue depressors crack easily and if you can pin them, scales are a piece of cake.

Nice job! I like the shape and the grain. I still have not made scales out of wood, but most folks seem to use CA on wood scales.

I am sure that someone else with more experience will reply.

Nice job! I like the shape and the grain. I still have not made scales out of wood, but most folks seem to use CA on wood scales.

I am sure that someone else with more experience will reply.
Yeah, I haven't used it before and my test attempt was pretty patchy, although it did make the wood look awesome.
Tests with oil and wax made too much of the wood dark, hiding the stripes.

I also nearly glued the tube to myself!
I will get better quality CA for the next test with a safer tube.

I'm also thinking of adding a thin fabric lining but can't decide which colour

Another nice wood finish is Minwax lacquer. I have a brush finished with this product that looks, feels and performs great. If and when I use wood, I will probably try the Minwax.

Top Bottom