What's new

What's on your work bench right now?

I leave pitting like that, give it a hot vinegar bath and scrub with a stainless steel tooth brush.

Heat the blade in running hot water and plunge into a glass of white vinegar for 15-20 minutes, then scrub. Do a few cycles until no more rust comes off in the rinse. Soak in soapy Dawn dish liquid and water to neutralize.

Paint on Rustoleum Rust Reformer into the pits. It will stop the active rust and turn black. Sand the blade to remove any excess staining and polish. The pits will be black, but rust free.

Nice work.

Well, the blade is in decent shape. Took it up to 2k and got a rattle can of Rust Reformer for the craters of the moon. I'm assuming it would be best to apply with an artist brush, @H Brad Boonshaft ?

Unfortunately I managed to crack the scales at the pivot when I unpinned it. Rookie mistake, although not my first unpinning. I have a kintsugi experiment going, not sure if it will be successful. If not I have some more walnut that will make nice scales. Will match my Berg.

Well, here it is. Scales repaired kintsugi style with gold glitter powder, blade cleaned up and the pits treated. I also made a plastic liner to reinforce the pivot and even pinned with no washers!

20211211_213816.jpg
20211211_213939.jpg
20211211_213915.jpg

My first humble SR attempt. Making G10 scales for a Gotta 120.
I could stop now but I might sand more around the pivot to make the pin location closer to the centre.

IMG_20211215_225644~2.jpg

I always make a paper template, then cut out the template and glue to the scales that are glued together with double stick tape. You can make precise measurements on the paper template.

Drill your holes while the scales are flat and not fully shaped so, if you do drill a bit off plan you can adjust the shape to center the holes.

Be careful with G10 dust, clean up well, scales look good.

Double posting.

Got me some proper tools for shaping scales. Went from hours to minutes. Like stealing candy from a baby.
  • 6 inch cabinet scraper (Bahco)
  • concave/convex scraper (Two Cherries)
  • rasp
  • burnisher (Hock Tools) - not pictured
The cabinet scrapers are revelatory!

1640051229482.png

The new scales have been shaped and sanded to 2000 grit. Joseph (Elliot) looked kind of boring in the original scales so I decided to dress him up with points, and I drilled the wedge hole 3/8 inch from the tip of the blade.

The hardest part for me is rounding the tops of the scales when they go below 4 mm in thickness.

Not bad for a day's work!

Old scale (singular) on the left with new scales (plural) on the right.

1640136613192.png

“The new scales have been shaped and sanded to 2000 grit. Joseph (Elliot) looked kind of boring in the original scales so I decided to dress him up with points, and I drilled the wedge hole 3/8 inch from the tip of the blade.”

Once you split them apart, put a drop of CA in the pin holes and redrill with a pin vise or a 1/16 in drill bit in a hex head. The CA will harden the holes and hand drilled will clean them up, I make then just a bit larger anyway to leave a little room for pin expansion. It will also get rid of the flaking chipout in the hole.

Looks good, nice shaping.

got an old "wall mounted medicine cabinet" for my master bath I am going to restore for my house. I am unable to put the whole house on the bench but I am gutting rooms and pulling up floors and doing about a 75 percent remodel on the house. That is what is on my bench currently lol. I am in the better than fifty percent mark by weeks end if all goes well.

A massive masonic Heiffor I got a while ago. I will not even disassemble it, the pins abd washers are too beautiful to risk ruining them, even thoughI know I can do it.

First thing I'll do is soak the whole razor in neatsfoot oil. It'll do both the scales and the razor good, afterwards I'll deal with the rust, rid it of any specks there might remain and tighten a bit the pin at the point. The scales have opened up a bit, so to speak, and the you can see the heel protruding through the gap between the scales. It won't be safe once I hone the razor, so that is something I must deal with.

The engraving is absolutely beautiful. On the A side it reads: Joel Mason, Stone Mason, Free Mason. On a second line it reads Hayfield, Derbyshire, 1823.

A few pics:

DSC_3783.JPG
DSC_3782.JPG
DSC_3788.JPG
DSC_3791.JPG
DSC_3785.JPG

Thanks, @Frank Shaves I had only used 220 and 400 w/d so far. It was a rascal as far as red rust hiding in the black rust and BKF didn't seem to be converting it fully. Couldn't find my WD40 last night. I'm a little sad about the etch, which is silly, because I usually don't care about etch. But I'm going to work up to 2k or so on the spine to smooth out the good steel and then see if I can get an edge on it before I unpin it and clean up the pivot area.

When I’m worried about rust in pitting, I will soak in vinegar for an hour or 2. That seems to kill off the red rust.

I finally finished the scales for the Joseph Elliot. They feel good in the hand and a big improvement over the worn-out original scales. I am happy with the choice of pointed ends.

I may still remove a teeny bit of material from the camel bone wedge where it (ever so slightly) protrudes. I finished with 0000 steel wool. I would like to find a way to get more sheen without the need for a buffing wheel. Suggestions are welcome.

Original scales after being cleaned up.

1640792219242.png

New scales.

1640791532078.png

1640791585379.png

1640791632603.png

1640791706971.png

I finally finished the scales for the Joseph Elliot. They feel good in the hand and a big improvement over the worn-out original scales. I am happy with the choice of pointed ends.

I may still remove a teeny bit of material from the camel bone wedge where it (ever so slightly) protrudes. I finished with 0000 steel wool. I would like to find a way to get more sheen without the need for a buffing wheel. Suggestions are welcome.

Original scales after being cleaned up.

View attachment 1385629

New scales.

View attachment 1385620

View attachment 1385621

View attachment 1385623

View attachment 1385624
Nice job Frank!
Do you know how a bit of metal polish (e.g. Flitz, Mothers) applied with paper towel would work in terms of sheen compared to 0000 steel wool? It might be a step up.

Nice job Frank!
Do you know how a bit of metal polish (e.g. Flitz, Mothers) applied with paper towel would work in terms of sheen compared to 0000 steel wool? It might be a step up.

Thanks. I will run a test of Mothers on just the horn portion. Do you have any idea if Mothers could guck up or cause rust on the pins?

Top Bottom