What's new

What would our fathers and grandfathers really make of us?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sorry, I meant to ask this earlier. What were you doing wrong before? Leaving stubble? Nicking yourself? Using a dull blade? I mean, I'm happy for you that you found a way that works though.

Please don't apologise. You seem like you are having trouble with simple English, and so I am more than happy to forgive your lack of comprehension.

My statement notes that the purpose of shaving is to 'remove facial hair in an efficient and practical manner.' Using canned cream and a cart (which completes the shaving process in a few minutes) is highly efficient and practical. Being a wet/traditional shaving aficionado, you would know that the extended wet shaving process is neither efficient nor practical, especially when you compare it to the method I used in that particular shave.

I hope this clears up your query. If you have any further questions, please do let me know.

Please don't apologise. You seem like you are having trouble with simple English, and so I am more than happy to forgive your lack of comprehension.

My statement notes that the purpose of shaving is to 'remove facial hair in an efficient and practical manner.' Using canned cream and a cart (which completes the shaving process in a few minutes) is highly efficient and practical. Being a wet/traditional shaving aficionado, you would know that the extended wet shaving process is neither efficient nor practical, especially when you compare it to the method I used in that particular shave.

I hope this clears up your query. If you have any further questions, please do let me know.

oooh snark! given that much of the world uses DEs I am next to positive the peasants with DEs don’t somehow have 20 less minutes in a day in comparison to your sensor. Who can’t get a fast job done in a few minutes with a similar manner and outcome once you get the hang of it? Everyone else ( making a ritual out of it ) is just nerding out ... because why not?

And the winner for ' smug of the year ' award goes too......

My statement notes that the purpose of shaving is to 'remove facial hair in an efficient and practical manner.'
[Snip]
I see. Thanks for clearing that up. Just a couple more quick questions. Is razor burn efficient or practical? How about using a razor that costs $36 that comes with two cartridges, with a pack of 10 that costs north of $40? Is that efficient or is it practical?

I see. Thanks for clearing that up. Just a couple more quick questions. Is razor burn efficient or practical? How about using a razor that costs $36 that comes with two cartridges, with a pack of 10 that costs north of $40? Is that efficient or is it practical?

I’ve never gotten razor burn with a cart.

Carts are obviously more expensive, but going back to the original point of my post, nobody here just buys single cheap razor and brush set like our old man did and uses that over and again. I would argue that if every person on this forum switched back to carts, we would all be financially better off.

It’s the excessive and over the top nature of such a simple and mundane task that I hoped to explore with my original post. To me it’s clear what our forebears would think. They would think we were extravagant, wasteful, vulgar, and utterly excessive.

Some here have noted that what we are actually engaged in is a hobby. That may be true for some, but the whole ‘carts are expensive, DE shaving is cheaper in the long run’ fallacy gets put forth often enough. Maybe everyone has convinced themselves they are saving money by switching to DE razor, but that would take a serious suspension of reality for almost everyone here.

Even if DE shaving IS a hobby for most people here, what would our fathers and grandfathers think of that? Do you think they would engage in a hobby that is essentially based on a form of hyper-vanity? Would they stand in front of a mirror for an hour in the morning, hoping for the ever elusive BBS? I seriously doubt it. These men were men. Their hobbies involved getting mud on their face and bleeding for their craft. No, they were out in the workshop doing something useful, not whipping up THE perfect yoghurty lather.

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets

Carts are obviously more expensive, but going back to the original point of my post, nobody here just buys single cheap razor and brush set like our old man did and uses that over and again. I would argue that if every person on this forum switched back to carts, we would all be financially better off.

It’s the excessive and over the top nature of such a simple and mundane task that I hoped to explore with my original post. To me it’s clear what our forebears would think. They would think we were extravagant, wasteful, vulgar, and utterly excessive.

Some here have noted that what we are actually engaged in is a hobby. That may be true for some, but the whole ‘carts are expensive, DE shaving is cheaper in the long run’ fallacy gets put forth often enough. Maybe everyone has convinced themselves they are saving money by switching to DE razor, but that would take a serious suspension of reality for almost everyone here.

Even if DE shaving IS a hobby for most people here, what would our fathers and grandfathers think of that? Do you think they would engage in a hobby that is essentially based on a form of hyper-vanity? Would they stand in front of a mirror for an hour in the morning, hoping for the ever elusive BBS? I seriously doubt it. These men were men. Their hobbies involved getting mud on their face and bleeding for their craft. No, they were out in the workshop doing something useful, not whipping up THE perfect yoghurty lather.

My grandfather would not feel sick about collecting stamps, it was even just a small piece of paper. ;)

Reactions: Avi

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
My dad was extremely well groomed, ALWAYS stood out in a crowd.

But he'd think us all daft for not just shaving and shutting up about it!

Well if you so strongly fel wet shaving is just vanity then throw away your DE/blades/soaps/brushes/etc and go back to madiocre shaves.

And no not everyone here spends more for DE than for carts. Hobbyists do. I have asortment of blades from when I did some research on blades. I have bulk of favourite blades. 200 blades. 5 soaps. Never more than that. 1 brush for 15€, one balm and one AS. I have 4 razors, all of them under 40€ and 1 for 100€. Yes I did spend some money to see what I like.

And don't you dare implying carts give equal shaves to DE's. While I was using carts my neck was inflamed all the time. Now I don't get that anymore. If carts work for your skin go ahead, use them. I am not going near one again.

Just quit this forum

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
My father never had a lot of money, but he shaved with an electric razor before using his Gillette (with brushless cream) - and that had to cost some money.

For most of his life he spent his money on his 4 kids (put me through 4 years of college and paid every penny). But when he retired in Florida he drove slightly used Lincoln Town Cars.

I think it's a myth that people went out of their way to avoid the nicer things in life. Some who lived through the depression had a hard time turning that corner (even when they could finally afford to), but people tend to find their own comfort level with luxuries.

These men were men. Their hobbies involved getting mud on their face and bleeding for their craft. No, they were out in the workshop doing something useful, not whipping up THE perfect yoghurty lather.

My father and grandfathers were Renaissance men. They didn’t scratch their crotch, sniff their armpits or cry: me Tarzan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.

I’m not sure that you have an informed understanding of this hobby for many of us.

In this hectic world of careers, family, child-rearing, caregiving to older parents, etc., do you really look down upon a man who likes to spend 15-20 minutes in the morning (or evening) preparing for the battle (or unwinding from it), talking (and listening) with his Creator, enjoying the fruits of his labor with a finely-crafted brush, razor and soap?

If you have such contempt for us, you may want to look elsewhere for your online time.

They would wonder why am I going back in time. Why don't I take advantage of the marvels of modern technology & use an electric?

Heck I'm waiting for the 23rd century shaver where you stick your head in a chamber for 10 seconds and they transport the hair off my face! lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom