What's new

What would our fathers and grandfathers really make of us?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you're feeling guilty about spending money on shaving gear...very simple...just stop. Badger and Blade is a shaving hardware and software forum.

I give $40 a month to an elderly woman in El Salvador and $25 a month to the local homeless shelter. My Father and Grandfather would be proud. What I do with my disposable income is up to me really. I think my parents and grandparents took more vacations than I ever have. People spend their money differently.

It’s not about the money, it’s about the excess.

One wonders why you bother with this site. Go off with your plastic Gillette and be done with it. There are many aspects to what we do here. There is a timeless quality to buying a damaged razor from England or Germany, nearly 100 years old and restoring it to its original beauty and function. We are able to do that because they were made to last--no built-in obsolescence. Some have the ability to restore an artifact from another era; that is an end in itself. More than that, how many outside such groups can restore a razor, hone that razor to a soft edge, rescale it with ivory or horn or other natural material, and then place it in a rotation for actual use? Some of us have gone on to honing our own knives which is an entirely different skill.

These are skills of another time that take patience, process, and mentors to learn. Like many art forms there are a lot of pretenders. These skills were nearly lost (how many of us have actually seen an old barber strop a blade with unnerving speed and skill?). But in these pages one sees works of art, functional blades, from time to time, heirlooms of a family that some of us have had the privilege of restoring with original materials. There is more to a straight razor than you pretend. It all must come together with that blade sliding easily between the two scales with both style, ease, beauty and functionality.

Not everyone obsesses about aftershave, pre-shave, etc. But when we do discuss such things we are simply enjoying the functional use of a work of art we have created, restored or know how to maintain. It is like using a painting on a day to day basis instead of just looking at it.

Of course, if you don’t get the beauty and the joy of the process (if it has to be explained to you) I doubt you ever will. But perhaps you can try and understand the very real and artistic beauty of a fully restored, vintage straight razor.

You’ve gone on a lot about restoring old razors here, but how many of us are actually doing that? Most of us are simply ‘soap sniffing lunatics’.

Reactions: pmj
Actually, our hobby of rescuing perfectly good shaving equipment that would otherwise be considered trash would has been something my grandfather would have found good.

I remember that he shaved with an electric in part because he didn't want to pay for disposable razor blades all of the time. He believed in fixing something and using it until it could no longer be fixed.

You’ve gone on a lot about restoring old razors here, but how many of us are actually doing that? Most of us are simply ‘soap sniffing lunatics’.
"Most of us are simply 'soap sniffing lunatics.'" Ouch! I have no idea if that is true. But if it is, again, demonstrating such disdain one wonders why you bother with the group at all. Nonetheless, you painted with a rather broad brush--you are still doing that. Whoever drags a nearly 100 year old piece of steel across his face, that he personally restored and honed, before splashing on some rum is hardly a "dandy." Again, how many people can actually lay claim to that? Of course, no group is going to resolve deep personal definitions one's manhood...this is not an encounter group.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
I’ve brought dozens of otherwise dirty, rusty, gunked-up vintage razors back from the trash heap. In Western PA, it’s very difficult to find vintage razors in antique stores because they sell them the same day they come in. They engender a great deal of interest. Perhaps nostalgia brings that out, or the free market. But when I find one, hit it with some Scrubbing Bubbles, Dawn soap and some Flitz, it‘s once again ready for duty, and the dozens I’ve restored now sit proudly in someone’s shaving den.

I’m thankful that the quality products that were made for our fathers and grandfathers are still waiting to be found and restored to glory. Is there a better way to honor a dad than to clean up his old Fatty and to teach his son how to shave like his grandfather did?

Last edited:
My dad was an electric user most of my life. His only goal was to be socially acceptable in the shortest amount of time. My grandfather, on the other hand, enjoyed everything he did and I could see him participating in our forum (but only if he could do it in person over a meal)

It’s not about the money, it’s about the excess.
Excess is totally optional, though. I think a lot of people here were more curious in the beginning and so bought things to try them out. It's not necessary to have a huge collection, though.

Eventually, I reached a point where I clearly had way more than I needed. I want to pare down my shaving stuff. I'm not a minimalist, but I don't really want to be a collector, either. I've been on "sabbatical" this year, so I haven't bought anything shaving related since New Years Day. There's no shortage, believe me.

Last edited:

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
somewhat randomly my actual name is Avijit ... pronounced av eejit but I‘ve gone by Avi, since I was young. So when we were younger when my wife was cross with me she would use the full name, and now post kids that has actually generalized so our dog is the dogijit and mom is mommajit etc . A veritable family of eejits :)
Brilliant. One holiday I brought a girl home with me. She was from New York, and her name was Edith. For years afterwards my father would ask "What happened to that Eejit you were seeing?"

Reactions: Avi

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Paternal grandfather, I don't know. Never met him. Almost every picture I've seen of him he's clean shaven, except he would grow a mustache every year for Pioneer Days. No idea what he used, but probably a Gillette and a block of whatever soap Grandma made when she needed soap.

Maternal grandfather was also usually clean shaven. By the time I met him and was old enough to pay attention, he used an electric because his daughters worried (with some reason) that he'd carve himself up with a blade.

My dad shaved electric by the time I came along, but as a young man he was in the Civilian Conservation Corps which was run like the Army; and later he was IN the Army. I suspect he used some kind of DE razor, just because that was what got issued most of the time. He never said and I never asked. Shaving was just what men did.

My brother was in the Army. He now shaves electric but I suspect the forward fire bases where he spent two tours in Vietnam probably got him some practice with a blade. When I was in the Army we didn't have any foreign adventures so my old electric was what I used. I'd usually shave by my locker and then do the cleanup in front of the mirrors. That way I could get in and out fast and not have the blade guys whining and moaning about needing to get in line for a shave.

As for what they'd say about it, Dad was a gadget freak. He'd understand "because I want to try it" as a valid reason for buying a razor. Long as I wasn't buying it on credit, and long as the bills were paid, food was on the table and there was some in the sock for a rainy day spending some money (sometimes a lot of money) on something we wanted was OK.

He also understood that taking a long luxurious shave with great lather, a lovely razor, surpassingly sharp blade, and some convivial fragrance was probably a better long-run indulgence than sitting in a peeler bar. He'd probably point out my beard and say, "Ya missed a spot."

O.H.

Since I use a razor similar to that which they would have used (post war Gillette Tech) having spent only a few dollars to acquire them, they would most likely just wink at me in approval.

My dad gave me his '76 Super Speed and Old Spice mug when I took up DE shaving this year. If we find his brush, I will evaluate it to see if it's usable, and if not, I'll get it re-knotted.
I sent the razor off to get the head re-plated so I can use it. I use his shave mug most of the times I shave.
I told him I bought a '52 date code Super Speed on Friday. He thought that was pretty cool.
I have tried different soaps and aftershaves, and ask my mother what she thinks of them. So far, she is a big fan of the Wickham 1912 Magnum scent, and Dr. Jon's 8th Dimension. I tried a sample of PAA Dapper Doc AF, she thought it was okay. They seem okay with my shaving hobby.
I used to hate shaving, because cartridges suck. Now I enjoy it.

Difficult to say. They didn't have all the options we have today. They couldn't order online products from all over the world. If those things were available, perhaps they would do the same, perhaps not.

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
I know my father and grandfather have more than one of pants.
The days are hard enough, and it is not shameful to have some small pleasures in life that you can afford. :)

i don’t need my grandfather to tell me it’s ridiculous. I think it’s ridiculous. I enjoy the variety of having a bunch of different soaps and creams, but I don’t buy more than I can use in my lifetime. (I expect to finish each and every one of them.) I’ve got a few brushes and a few razors, mostly to satisfy my curiosity. I only use one blade type. I don’t need to buy everything that comes down the pike.

My father shaved with ordinary soap. I don’t remember ever watching him shave. I started shaving as a teenager, with a DE razor and canned shaving cream. Went to cartridges a few years later when they were introduced, because it seemed like the thing to do at the time. I still don’t think there’s anything wrong with them outside of being way overpriced. I always thought it would be cool to shave with a brush and a pile of lather. I briefly tried it in the pre-internet days with a drugstore purchase of brush and soap. Being clueless about how to make lather, I was unimpressed and dropped it shortly thereafter.

Fast forward to about ten years ago when I happened to read an article about “classic shaving”. I was inspired to give it another try. This time I became hooked for good, and look forward to shaving every single day. I never let it get crazy though. I keep track of all my expenditures. I still don’t believe wet shaving needs to be an expensive hobby, if you choose wisely and set reasonable limits on yourself.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I’ve brought dozens of otherwise dirty, rusty, gunked-up vintage razors back from the trash heap. In Western PA, it’s very difficult to find vintage razors in antique stores because they sell them the same day they come in. They engender a great deal of interest. Perhaps nostalgia brings that out, or the free market. But when I find one, hit it with some Scrubbing Bubbles, Dawn soap and some Flitz, it‘s once again ready for duty, and the dozens I’ve restored now sit proudly in someone’s shaving den.

I’m thankful that the quality products that were made for our fathers and grandfathers are still waiting to be found and restored to glory. Is there a better way to honor a dad than to clean up his old Fatty and to teach his son how to shave like his grandfather did?
+1 and Amen! 👍

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom