What's new

What would our fathers and grandfathers really make of us?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today I shaved in a way that actually fulfilled the purpose of shaving: the removal of unwanted facial hair in an efficient and practical manner.

The tools of choice were a Gillette Sensor Excel razor and canned Nivea shaving gel, both circa mid 90s. Single pass with touch ups. Job done in a few minutes.

It got me thinking: what would our fathers and grandfathers really think of us? What with our multiple passes, facial hair mapping, hundred dollar razors, manchurian badger brushes, cologned fragranced artisans, shave dens, excessive consumption and gentlemanly restraint, and endless debates about cream vs soap, tallow vs vegan, and face vs bowl?

They'd be disgusted.

They were made of stern stuff back then. Get in, get out, get on with the day. Excessive grooming was for dandies.

Our fathers and grandfathers didn't teach us this stuff about shaving, because they didn't do it. We invented it ourselves.

Not mine. Mine were depression folks, but they took pleasure at others having pleasure. My father would have enjoyed using different soaps. He wouldn’t have bothered with a straight razor though.

My grandfather gave me one of his straights and would be pleased that I try to understand his youth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Today I shaved in a way that actually fulfilled the purpose of shaving: the removal of unwanted facial hair in an efficient and practical manner.

The tools of choice were a Gillette Sensor Excel razor and canned Nivea shaving gel, both circa mid 90s. Single pass with touch ups. Job done in a few minutes.

It got me thinking: what would our fathers and grandfathers really think of us? What with our multiple passes, facial hair mapping, hundred dollar razors, manchurian badger brushes, cologned fragranced artisans, shave dens, excessive consumption and gentlemanly restraint, and endless debates about cream vs soap, tallow vs vegan, and face vs bowl?

They'd be disgusted.

They were made of stern stuff back then. Get in, get out, get on with the day. Excessive grooming was for dandies.

Our fathers and grandfathers didn't teach us this stuff about shaving, because they didn't do it. We invented it ourselves.

They'd think of you in exactly the same way they'd think of anyone who has an unusual hobby. Some people would appreciate things like that, some people think "You do you", and others would find it frivolous.

My dad was never a wet shaver, he passed away a few years ago at age 56. If he happened to walk bye while I was straight razor shaving he found it very entertaining to watch and he would just shake his head at me. He said he never would have the guts to try it. Ultimately I think he found it funny that I enjoyed it as much as I did, though he was never bothered by the pampering aspect of it.

Father, would probably get some of the obsessive behavior in particular the den. He liked building things and was certainly appreciative of the value of both form and function.

Paternal grandfather, no idea. Never met the man.

Maternal grandfather, interesting. He was an epic collector of things. Not a hoarder since that implies an unorganized or pointless accumulation, but he definitely had well thought out acquisitions of canned foods, tools, car parts, household supplies, personal sundries, etc. (anything that could be purchased at the RCMP Depot PX) and I'm certain he had a good supply of DE shaving paraphernalia that we must have given or thrown away when he died. So he'd love how I've collected and organized my blades. That said he'd likely have little use for how I've displayed my brushes and razors since he had no value of the aesthetic. Any new item would be kept in its original packaging and stored away for the impending global apocalypse.

They'd probably wonder why I have so much shaving stuff. All you need to have at a time is one razor, one brush, one cake of soap (a mug or a bowl to store it in that's capable of loading from), a couple packs of blades and a bowl, if you like, to build lather in.

After getting into wet shaving because I was tried of buying overpriced cartridge razors that irritated my sensitive skin sometimes I wonder this myself.

They'd probably wonder why I have so much shaving stuff. All you need to have at a time is one razor, one brush, one cake of soap (a mug or a bowl to store it in that's capable of loading from), a couple packs of blades and a bowl, if you like, to build lather in.

After getting into wet shaving because I was tried of buying overpriced cartridge razors that irritated my sensitive skin sometimes I wonder this myself.

+1! Yes indeed!

The only reason they shaved was to get rid of hair! Get it done, and get going!!

Some, would probably question why some of us have more than one razor, brand of blades, brush, and either soaps or creams. In their opinion(s) you would only need one of each to shave.

This is an unanswerable question. People are not a monolith; they are very different. Always have been. Just like today I'm sure some men viewed shaving as a chore, while others may not have "enjoyed" shaving at least liked the end result and to look/smell good.

I suspect that my father would be interested, but he would only dive in so far and ultimately tell me that “it’s just shaving”. I also suspect he wouldn’t buy into our current philosophy, and would not go with multiple passes, hair mapping, pre shave oils, etc... Dad had his method and routine that worked well and could be done quickly.

I think my grandfather would have similar thinking, though I do recall him having a couple of straight razors, DEs and brushes in the bathroom.

Men from generations ago were much more practical thinkers, with time and expense being at the forefront.

ECC66FAF-3FF7-4054-8BE9-6E12965605A2.jpeg
19E93BDA-0EBB-48FB-BEBF-4207EA56A7F9.jpeg

They would think we were slobs going going out on a date.
They were well dressed, groomed and perfect manners.
They worked harder and said grace every meal.

Attachments

• 0247CC51-CDDE-4F5A-8DE6-A4838841CA33.jpeg
    0247CC51-CDDE-4F5A-8DE6-A4838841CA33.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 24

Ad Astra

The Instigator
We use what THEY used, just look at eBay.

And if you didn't shave you were a bum. So shave!

But just as most of us today don't have 29 toothpastes or shampoos, pretty sure they used one soap, one brush till it wore out, and maybe, Aqua Velva or Old Spice on special occasions. They wouldn't have wasted money on anything in excess.

Even harmless excess.

AA

My father was born in 1907 so I never met my grandfather as life expectancy in the industrial north of England was not very long lived.

My dad however utterly loathed shaving but not nearly as much as he loathed stubble or beards.

he would have nothing to do with wet shaving unless he was boxed into a corner like on holiday as the carnage usually ended up with a face resembling a badly bandaged mummy. Much to the amusement of his kids.

his weapon of choice however was electric which were awful back in the mid 1950’s.
He used to say he would pay a fortune not to have to shave and have no stubble if that was an option

now here is a question for some of you.

I shave to get BBS and really enjoy the feeling BUT if I had the life choice NEVER to have to shave again and still keep BBS I would take it.

I wondered if were honest, over the years how many others might feel the same way?

sorry for hi jacking the thread a little

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
If you're feeling guilty about spending money on shaving gear...very simple...just stop. Badger and Blade is a shaving hardware and software forum.

I give $40 a month to an elderly woman in El Salvador and $25 a month to the local homeless shelter. My Father and Grandfather would be proud. What I do with my disposable income is up to me really. I think my parents and grandparents took more vacations than I ever have. People spend their money differently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom