What's new

What would our fathers and grandfathers really make of us?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I never knew my grandfathers, but my dad loved gadgets almost as much as I do. I'm pretty sure he'd say something along the lines of "Well, at least he's not out buying drugs."
You and I must have had the same father!

Mine was a pretty good dad, all things considered. A whole bunch of us are taking this question a bit too seriously!

My dad was born just before the Depression. His whole life was hard until after the War.

He NEVER begrudged ANYONE their indulgences. EVER. But we never had two extra pennies to rub together growing up. I'm dead serious. My dad made sure we never missed a meal, but they weren't always extravagant, lol.

He'd UNDOUBTEDLY think that me having more than one razor and some canned foam was just a waste of time and money.

He used a cart as soon as they came along, but he never got past the whole "wet head is dead" thing. As a matter of fact, he was mad one time when he sprayed hairspray on his underarms thinking it was deodorant! Lol, think of the times those regular working stiffs lived through, the changes they saw in their lifetime.

My dad used a horse to plow as a boy. Saw Space Shuttles launch and land.

I doubt he'd bother to get his pants in a bunch about how WE shave.

I’m not sure that you have an informed understanding of this hobby for many of us.

In this hectic world of careers, family, child-rearing, caregiving to older parents, etc., do you really look down upon a man who likes to spend 15-20 minutes in the morning (or evening) preparing for the battle (or unwinding from it), talking (and listening) with his Creator, enjoying the fruits of his labor with a finely-crafted brush, razor and soap?

If you have such contempt for us, you may want to look elsewhere for your online time.

I think you should go back and check who
started the MdC vs Pannacrema thread 🙁

I’ve never gotten razor burn with a cart.

Carts are obviously more expensive, but going back to the original point of my post, nobody here just buys single cheap razor and brush set like our old man did and uses that over and again. I would argue that if every person on this forum switched back to carts, we would all be financially better off.

It’s the excessive and over the top nature of such a simple and mundane task that I hoped to explore with my original post. To me it’s clear what our forebears would think. They would think we were extravagant, wasteful, vulgar, and utterly excessive.

Some here have noted that what we are actually engaged in is a hobby. That may be true for some, but the whole ‘carts are expensive, DE shaving is cheaper in the long run’ fallacy gets put forth often enough. Maybe everyone has convinced themselves they are saving money by switching to DE razor, but that would take a serious suspension of reality for almost everyone here.

Even if DE shaving IS a hobby for most people here, what would our fathers and grandfathers think of that? Do you think they would engage in a hobby that is essentially based on a form of hyper-vanity? Would they stand in front of a mirror for an hour in the morning, hoping for the ever elusive BBS? I seriously doubt it. These men were men. Their hobbies involved getting mud on their face and bleeding for their craft. No, they were out in the workshop doing something useful, not whipping up THE perfect yoghurty lather.

I don’t think anyone here is qualified to say that all our grandfathers would be disappointed in men who choose to wetshave. You nor I can say that. There are men today who think it’s silly, like I’m sure some men from the 20s would feel the same way. There are no shortage of men today, some on this forum, who “get mud on their face and bleed for their craft.” For what it’s worth, I’ve shaved with one DE razor and one brush for 12 years until lately. Now I see value in collecting and restoring vintage razors. Tons of our grandfathers collected coins and weren’t regarded as “change holding pansies.” I do suspect that, generally speaking, our grandfathers would be much more shocked by people wearing pajama pants to Walmart, showing no manners, and throw away consumerism than they would be about a man having more than one or two razors to shave with.

Im sure everyone here is a fan of free speech, as I am. With that being said POLITE free speech goes a long way. I’m confused why someone would feel compelled to declare jihad on wet shaving as a hobby on a forum that literally is created for the hobby of wet shaving. I’m also quite sure our grandfathers would frown upon people joining groups just to insult or spark controversy amongst the group much more so than they would the guy that continues to provide for his family but has more than 3 pucks of shave soap while they do it. Because they built, more or less, a polite society. We seem to be doing everything in our power these days to destroy polite society.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I don’t think anyone here is qualified to say that all our grandfathers would be disappointed in men who choose to wetshave. You nor I can say that. There are men today who think it’s silly, like I’m sure some men from the 20s would feel the same way. There are no shortage of men today, some on this forum, who “get mud on their face and bleed for their craft.” For what it’s worth, I’ve shaved with one DE razor and one brush for 12 years until lately. Now I see value in collecting and restoring vintage razors. Tons of our grandfathers collected coins and weren’t regarded as “change holding pansies.” I do suspect that, generally speaking, our grandfathers would be much more shocked by people wearing pajama pants to Walmart, showing no manners, and throw away consumerism than they would be about a man having more than one or two razors to shave with.

Im sure everyone here is a fan of free speech, as I am. With that being said POLITE free speech goes a long way. I’m confused why someone would feel compelled to declare jihad on wet shaving as a hobby on a forum that literally is created for the hobby of wet shaving. I’m also quite sure our grandfathers would frown upon people joining groups just to insult or spark controversy amongst the group much more so than they would the guy that continues to provide for his family but has more than 3 pucks of shave soap while they do it.
I'm just here for the laughs.

I think the original poster wanted to make me laugh.

Yes, I do think that the world revolves around me.

That's right, I'm so bright, my father called me Sun.....

Get it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom