What's new

What TV series you watching?

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I think I'm going to check out Penny Dreadful next.

Penny Dreadful is a pretty well done show. It came seem a bit fantastic at times but the acting and writing was very well done.

Really sad to hear this. Picard was just about the only reason I even considered getting CBS all access.

From the little I did watch I cant say its a bad show or poorly made, it just didnt grab me and felt more like fluff.

Picard is well made, in the sense that the special effects are OK, the direction is good, the performance vary from absolutely dreadful (it's not the actor's fault) to very good.

But it's a bad show. The plot is horrible at every scale. Slight spoilers following.

Large scale: the bad guys have been right from the beginning and could have proven everything easily. Instead of telling the truth and just solving the problem with their allies they decided to kill nearly every member of their species. (this is not the only problem with the main plot. For example the galaxy is still completely screwed at the end even if every character seems to have forgotten it)

Medium scale: ep01, the romulans have been nearly entirely destroyed. ep02 confirm that the romulan are still completely destitute. ep10, a small secret faction of the romulans have hundreds of state of the art warships available. 🤨
(again, one problem of many)

Small scale:
- "Hey person I say I know but who has never been introduced before, could you please give me an Official Authorization to go somewhere were I say I want to do something innocent but that is an obvious lie because I would easily have gotten a proper authorization if it was true? If you don't give me what I want I'll get there anyway and start a war"
Answer A: "No I am not going to end in jail for your long-lost 🍑, also I cannot give you that kind of thing without somebody else approving, I warned our allies that you wanted to fool and you are under arrest for attempted influence peddling"
Answer B: "Sure no prob" 🤦🏻‍♂️
Guess which one is used in the show? This kind of failure where the plot needs complete idiots is very, very common.

Very small scale: to teleport out of a very secure place the protagonist use a special device. Suddenly at the end a character decide to come back... And use the device to get in that was used to get out (they had no problem getting in the first time). Once they came back with a lot of weapons, every background character teleports out (exactly what the protagonists could not do), except the "bad guy" who stays while being lectured to death before being killed.

O.J.: Made in America.

I'm 2 episodes into this enthralling documentary. As well as the obvious, it covers some of the most turbulent times in American history. Some of it I remember from the time, much of it is knew to me and what I did know is here in far more detail. Revealing, powerful and compelling.

One more post on "Please Like Me" and then I am going to shut up for a while, or try to. :) I do not know whether this is a sign of the breadth and versatility of the show, and thus something good, or the expression of a certain scattered quality, but things have taken a dark, much more drama than comedy, turn. I think we are up to episode 8 of season 2, of 4 seasons, and around 40 episodes in all. So far I do not think drama is this show's casts and writers' strong suit, and frankly the shift seems jarring. Also a lot more sort of making out involving the lead character, that seems kind of gratuitous and which I thought might be a weak spot in the show for me from the description. I guess the younger female characters are starting to seem off to me, too, at least for a drama FWIW.

Just finished this series. It was really good. There is some darkness to it. And some making out involving the lead character. Very strong though.

Picard - A piece of **** 💩. I watch it on the cycle trainer to count the plot holes when the lack of oxygen makes really appreciating a good series difficult.

The Witcher - another good serie for the trainer, does not need too many brain cells. Contrary to Picard, does not take itself too seriously and is very enjoyable.

The Expanse. Holy cow. This serie went from "that's good science fiction", to "that's the best sci-fi serie ever", then on to "that's good television" and is now firmly in "that's great TV". Works a lot better as TV than as books. (I'm not saying that the TV serie is better than the books)

Kingdom (the korean medieval zombie invasion). I have no clue if it's good or bad but it's very watchable.

His dark Materials. Surprisingly good, actually just very good. Very good plotting, very good acting, extremely strong world building with working "show don't tell", with something for everybody from 12 to 120, with kids or not.

Narcos: Mexico. Very, very good.
Just started watching The Expanse.
It’s very very good.

Season 3 of Ozark was a lot heavier than I expected...
Interesting. We are two episodes in. Seems to have less comic relief this season.

Finished Kominsky Method as well as Please Like Me last night. Great series. Great writing, plotting, acting, everything. Very warm.

Last edited:
Penny Dreadful is a pretty well done show. It came seem a bit fantastic at times but the acting and writing was very well done.

I've plowed through the first two seasons. I'm giving it a "meh". I agree that the acting/writing and the whole look/feel are well done. I started watching it with my full attention. That evolved into watching it while noodling around on my laptop. I started watching the third season and turned it off about ten minutes in. I don't think I'm interested enough or care enough to finish the rest of the series.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Seems to have less comic relief this season.

Episode 9 will hit you right in the guts.

I don't think I'm interested enough or care enough to finish the rest of the series.

Yeah, I admit its a sort of acquired taste and I dont generally appreciate the overall subject matter myself, but the performance of Eva Green kept me watching.

We have put Ozark aside temporarily for Counterpart with J.K. Simmonds. Originally on Starz now available through Prime. Excellent. Great acting, appealing characters, writing, and high production values. Good combination of sci-fi and spy genre.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
We have put Ozark aside temporarily for Counterpart with J.K. Simmonds. Originally on Starz now available through Prime. Excellent. Great acting, appealing characters, writing, and high production values. Good combination of sci-fi and spy genre.

Thanks for the mention, I havent seen it. I hope it didnt get cancelled at a critical point...

We just started binge watching The Sopranos. Watched the entire series years ago. We are about 7 episodes in and I forgot how great the writing and acting is on this show.

Top Bottom