What's new

What have you recently watched, non-movie, non-series?

LEWIS BLACK: THANKS FOR RISKING YOUR LIFE. Free on Amazon Prime. It may be his last before covid. My wife and I aren't big on comedians. We saw Patchett & Tarses live several times in the 60s & Martin Mull and Fred Willard in the late 70s/early 80s. If you're our age, ya gotta love Lewis Black despite the profanity.

Wanda Sykes Netflix comedy special "I'm an Entertainer." I thought it was excellent, timely, very, very funny. She is one of my favorite comedians. She is fairly raunchy and may not appeal to everyone, you are forewarned. But to me she is at the top of her game in this. Similar to Chris Rock, Dave Chappelle. State of the art comedy taken in large part from her own life.

Wanda Sykes Netflix comedy special "I'm an Entertainer."
I just watched the Netflix trailer for this special. Gosh it is awful! Not representative of the special at all.

I had not realized that she had come up as a comedian in DC around the same time as Dave Chappell. When she is interviewed he name checks folks like George Carlin and Bill Hicks, along with folks with Chris Rock and Chappell, and she is associated with Larry David and Louis CK via Pootie Tang. To me she is influenced by all of these folks and is right in the thick modern, thoughtful comedy. From the trailer one would think her act had a lot of jumping around the stage!

Sa Da Tay, My Dillies! Wanda is a Pone Tony. Wa Da Tah!

Top Bottom