What's new

What TV series you watching?

I envy you just getting started on the Bosch series of books. My favorite series ever.

I really like the TV show, too. Although Titus Welliver is not exactly the Bosch I had in my head.

I really like the TV show, too. Although Titus Welliver is not exactly the Bosch I had in my head.

I had the same thought. A Bosch version of Nick Offerman is what came to my mind when reading the books. Since Titus Welliver is so different from what I had in mind for Bosch I thought I might have a hard time watching the show but he is excellent in the role.

I had the same thought. A Bosch version of Nick Offerman is what came to my mind when reading the books. Since Titus Welliver is so different from what I had in mind for Bosch I thought I might have a hard time watching the show but he is excellent in the role.

Well-said. Welliver is now reading the Bosch books for audible.com, since about Book No. 18 and he does a great job. He really fundamentally gets the character. On the other hand, his appearance still throws me off to some extent. Bosch should not be that good looking. Also, does Bosch in the books have the tattoos? I do love the show and the books, though. I think the show has actually gotten better each season.

Well-said. Welliver is now reading the Bosch books for audible.com, since about Book No. 18 and he does a great job. He really fundamentally gets the character. On the other hand, his appearance still throws me off to some extent. Bosch should not be that good looking. Also, does Bosch in the books have the tattoos? I do love the show and the books, though. I think the show has actually gotten better each season.

They slightly tweaked/updated the character on the show from that in the books. If I recall correctly, the Bosch in the books was a Vietnam vet and the Bosch on the show was an Afghanistan vet. I don't think the books mention tattoos either way but they weren't a part of my vision. Even so, I don't find them distracting or out of character. As far as the good looking observation, that's a thing on movies and TV shows where almost everyone is impossibly good looking. I was thinking this the other day when I was picking up someone at the airport. I was watching the everyday normal spuds of humanity walking by me and probably only a handful out of a hundred looked as good as the "average" person you'd see on a TV show or movie. Hollywood really gives us an unrealistic representation of what normal humanity you're likely to encounter in real life.

My wife says that Titus is decidedly NOT good looking. She made the comment that she was surprised they didn't cast a better looking actor for the lead role.

Of course she did marry me so that could cast doubt on her judgement....

As I read online, the Bosch of the books has a First Infantry tat on his shoulder. He once had hold fast tattooed across his knuckles, but his sargent made him remove them by beating a brick wall with his fists. So now he has scars. So the Welliver tats hit an off note to me. I just do not see the Bosch of the book having those kinds of tats. But you are right, they do seem to have updated the character a bit. The book Bosch was a tunnel rat in Viet Nam. I guess there is some reference to TV Boasch going into tunnels in the Iraq war or maybe Afghanistan, but I think some of the metaphor from those Viet tunnels is lost. Which is not a disaster.

I think what Welliver really captures well is Bosch's world weariness. His sadness and isolation, but at the same time his caring, his heart in all meanings of that term. Thinking about it, Welliver does do an excellent job.

Maybe it is not that Welliver is all that good looking. He just looks too much like a Hollywood actor to me. His head is enormous like many actors. His hair seems cut just a little too just so and expensively. His complexion too good. Too well-shaved except when he is wearing subtle just to.

But this is nickpicking! This is a really good TV show, and it honors the books, if not absolutely capturing them.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
BH90210 on Hulu. A reboot of Beverly Hills 90210 from the 90's, all of the major cast members are back (aside from Luke Perry). I thought I would hate it but I find myself enjoying it. It's not a serious show by any means and much of the humor is of the self deprecating sort, along with having some fun with modern day issues ("Steve" struggles with dating in the new to him 'woke' world.) The cast members look great but my wife commented, and I tend to agree, that a couple of the actresses went a bit overboard with cosmetic surgery.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
High Chaparral on DVD. I'm happy with the quality of the DVDs; they are excellent. I used to watch this as a kid. I did not realize until recently that the creator of Bonanza also did High Chaparral.

My favorite character was Uncle Buck...the rascal.

proxy.php

Last edited:
Mindhunter.

Still on season 1, but very interesting so far. Love the retro 70s vibe to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just finished a rather depressing but excellent Sundance documentary series called
"No One Saw a Thing"

It's set in a small rural town called Skidmore in Missouri. Some of the townsfolk shot and killed some bully who was terrorising the town for a while and then everyone clammed up when the cops showed. Hell of a story.

Finished The Spy on Netflix. Excellent stuff. Wish they had expanded it more though. 6 episodes seems too less.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom