What's new

What TV series you watching?

I just finished The Bear on Hulu. I really like Jeremy Allen White (from Shameless) and Ayo Edebiri in this one. There's an underlying story we get hints of that will only be revealed if the series continues and that's part of what will make me come back. The nature of the show has a lot of stress and tension so there is a lot of shouting and arguing among characters which may be a turn-off for some but the performances are compelling and it's a good ensemble.

I just finished "Tour of Duty" (1987-1990). I'd watched some when it came out, and some in the mid-90s in re-runs, and really loved it. I wanted to watch, beginning to end, and purposefully didn't binge, more of a treat from time to time. I hadn't seen the last few episodes before. The writing/acting was still good, but things felt a tiny bit stagey trying to wrap it up, overall, given the breadth of the content, they did a pretty good job.

I supposedly rode on the coat tails of the Vietnam movie splurge of the early-mid eighties, but frankly, I never felt it was derivative or lightweight. Because of it being a series, I think it had the time to cover a number of things in a more thorough way, over a number of overlapping story arcs, without it seeming to be 'episodic' or forced, most of the time. I liked that no one was 'special' some characters died or were wounded, it didn't stay the same group all the way through, except for the Lieutenant and Sergeant, and frankly one couldn't be certain that by the end one of them might not die or be replaced for some reason. I like that, when a show showing violence, whether war or gangs or adventure, doesn't telegraph that the key group will always be safe and sound. They did pretty well at following a lot of key points making the timeline feel right, and reflect what was going on back home in terms of politics, and how that was playing out on the war front. I can't speak to whether every detail was accurate, but everything I saw, that I knew anything about, was basically correct in the broad strokes.

I'm going to work my way through all the iconic Vietnam war movies next, though given the dark tone, I might not be doing them all back to back.

For series, me and the housemates have our main shows on hiatus (Star Trek Discovery, Arcane, Loki, Rick and Morty, Archer, probably forgetting something)... we started a very short mini-series cartoon called "Over the Garden Wall"... feels a bit like Gravity Falls set in a fairy tale. There is a second season of the anime "Mushishi" that we started. Season one is the wandering healer guy, but season two is going back to his origins as a child. Supposedly were to get around to the next season of Rising of the Shield Hero, but not sure how we are going to fit this one in. One housemate has sworn off most MCU, except maybe the main movies (he's not sure he's even up for Thor). I don't understand the concept of getting tired of MCU, and for series, me and the other housemate will be starting up Moon Knight, and hopefully The Defenders (no one seems interested in Agents of Shield Slingshot, so I'll just put that in there somewhere to watch on my own).

So many shows and movies, so little time. I seriously don't know how people binge so much at once, for so many days in a row. I need some digestion time, and well, other stuff in life happens.

Anyway, if anyone is looking for a tv series about Vietnam, that is both serious and light hearted, but with more emphasis on serious, Tour of Duty is pretty decent.

The Umbrella Academy Season 3
I've been on the fence about watching this series. On one hand, I've really enjoyed other superhero shows. On the other, I almost feel like I'm starting to get bored with them...
We just finished the obi Wan series yesterday... wow. The show was great.
I really enjoyed this one as well, though I don't really buy their reason for why Vader doesn't continue to search for Kenobi. I appreciate the difficulty in these "fill the gap" type of stories though. And the dual was pretty good as well - in a tragic kind of way.

I watched the first episode of Ms Marvel. I originally was going to wait until after I saw No Way Home, but needed something short to watch and chose it. I'm not sure this is going to be my kind of show, though I'll probably watch the rest of it.

I really enjoyed this one as well, though I don't really buy their reason for why Vader doesn't continue to search for Kenobi. I appreciate the difficulty in these "fill the gap" type of stories though. And the dual was pretty good as well - in a tragic kind of way.

I watched the first episode of Ms Marvel. I originally was going to wait until after I saw No Way Home, but needed something short to watch and chose it. I'm not sure this is going to be my kind of show, though I'll probably watch the rest of it.

About MS marvel, it's definitely geared towards a younger audience. But we're already 2 episodes in. So we'll probably finish it as well

This is kind of a tangent topic but does anyone else here get kind of annoyed with "whisper acting"? I'm starting to notice it more and more where an actor will whisper or faux whisper their lines. I get why an actor might do it from time to time but it is getting way overused and becoming a dominant speech pattern.

"whisper acting"

Mumbling. Growling. Whispering. Yep, it is definitely a thing. I think it is meant to convey gravitas, but it is just annoying. Combined with the ridiculous levels for sound effects and scores, it makes most films unintelligble. Which may be a good thing, because if we could understand what was going on, the awful dialogue would be even more obvious. :)

Watched the first episode of Moon Knight. Loved it though still in the early stages of ***. We were supposed to watch the first two, but supper got delayed, and then I did the adult thing of wanting to head to bed on time, and it would have been later if we stopped to watch it. It was hard though, I was still all crazy interested in wanting to know what the heck was/is going on.

Legion

Staff member
I just finished The Bear on Hulu. I really like Jeremy Allen White (from Shameless) and Ayo Edebiri in this one. There's an underlying story we get hints of that will only be revealed if the series continues and that's part of what will make me come back. The nature of the show has a lot of stress and tension so there is a lot of shouting and arguing among characters which may be a turn-off for some but the performances are compelling and it's a good ensemble.
I just binged the whole season of The Bear.

Excellent show.

The Brokenwood Mysteries. The first episode of season 8 appeared unannounced on Acorn TV in the past day or so. Really bizarre and one of their best.

Right now I'm hooked on The Old Man (Jeff Bridges) on Hulu, For All Mankind season 3 on Apple+ and just finished The Terminal List on Prime. My bugaboo lately is so many shows being filmed with such dark and inadequate lighting. I'm looking at you Terminal List. An enjoyable series but I could hardly see it. Why not just go a few shades darker and we'll call it radio.

The old man is great. Enjoying it.
Dark Winds on AMC is pretty good too.
I found Obi Wan Kenobi pretty terrible. Some horrible acting, crap cgi and laughable stunts. Grown men unable to catch the most unathletic child and running into trees? Made me giggle it was so bad.

The old man is great. Enjoying it.
Dark Winds on AMC is pretty good too.
I found Obi Wan Kenobi pretty terrible. Some horrible acting, crap cgi and laughable stunts. Grown men unable to catch the most unathletic child and running into trees? Made me giggle it was so bad.

Thanks for the heads-up on Dark Winds. I love when one flies under my radar since that lets me enjoy more episodes right off the bat.

Top Bottom