What's new

What to consider when purchasing a brush

For those interested, here's how I did it, what I got right, and what was a mistake.

While I didn't know anything about badger brushes, I made the right choice, and bought two average priced good quality very different custom brushes from Rudy - 22/50 mm TGN Grade A bulb in an Emperor style handle, and a 22/48 mm TGN Finest fan in a Duke 3 style handle. They became my solid base for comparison, and my next choices branched out from there. This was the right choice because each following purchase was based on the experience with these quite different brushes in every aspect. My mistake though was that I didn't wait enough to appreciate what I already had, but started looking for something different too quickly. So I didn't give enough time to myself to let my preferences evolve. As it turned out, two of my brushes that I bought in the beginning, are currently in my top 3 list.

My mistake though was that I didn't wait enough to appreciate what I already had, but started looking for something different too quickly. So I didn't give enough time to myself to let my preferences evolve. As it turned out, two of my brushes that I bought in the beginning, are currently in my top 3 list.

This is a wonderful point. My first brush was a Parker "Pure" from amazon, and it was floppy as heck. This made me try a variety of two-band brushes, and I started with a Rooney Heritage Emillion 2, Thater 4125/2, and bought a new SR 3824. I immediately shunned the SR 3824 since it wasn't a two band, and would have sold the Emillion 2 if I had been on the forum for long enough.

A Duke 3, Commodore 3, 3 2XLs, a Chubby 1, Classic 1, Tulip 3, Chubby 3, and Polo 8 2-band, and a Manchurian Polo 10 later, the Emillion 2 has actually returned as one of my favorite brushes for the softness, flowthrough, and incredible handle. I recently tried the SR 3824 again, and really appreciated how simple it was to make lather. I didn't have spend any time loading the brush, and was consistently rewarded with instant high quality lather.

There's a lot of focus on 2-band brushes on the forum - and with good reason, but a well-made 3-band like the SR 3824 is fantastic as well.

Nice thoughts on the selection process- many thanks Boris. FYI- I have added this thread to our list of stickies in the Brush Forum.

How do you evaluate handle selection? Aesthetics aside, are there some handle shapes that are inherently more comfortable? I am working out details with Rudy for a new brush, leaning towards an M7 or tulip shape, or possibly an antler handle, but unsure as to length and diameter. For comparison, my everyday brush is the B&B LE 2009, whose handle is about 57mm in length. I *think* I want at least a similarly larger handle shape, at least lengthwise, and am leaning away from chubby type shapes. Any thoughts?

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Nice first go at it, Boris.
Be sure to come back and give us an update/revision when you have gained a little more brush experience :lol:

How do you evaluate handle selection? Aesthetics aside, are there some handle shapes that are inherently more comfortable? I am working out details with Rudy for a new brush, leaning towards an M7 or tulip shape, or possibly an antler handle, but unsure as to length and diameter. For comparison, my everyday brush is the B&B LE 2009, whose handle is about 57mm in length. I *think* I want at least a similarly larger handle shape, at least lengthwise, and am leaning away from chubby type shapes. Any thoughts?

Evaluating handles is personal subjective matter. Look at photos, see if they make you happy staring at them for long time; ask those who own them questions about how comfortable they are.

Most "standard" popular proven handle designs are comfortable, and you'll be satisfied. It's easy to adjust to small variances in sizes.
My personal preferences are 35-38 mm handle diameter with 48-60 mm length. As you see, it's a big range which is useless for comparison purposes. In general, brushes with smaller knots have smaller handles.
I wished that my L7 brush (24 mm knot) with 35 mm diameter was 1-2 mm thicker, but it's nitpicking really.

This thread was about the concept what's important to look for, not how. The question you should ask yourself is whether you can consider buying a brush just for the gorgeous looking handle, and ignoring or overlooking its softness or backbone.

Nice first go at it, Boris.
Be sure to come back and give us an update/revision when you have gained a little more brush experience :lol:

Sam, I've already touched your... Mighty Midget, can you allow me now touch your... Kent, to gain more first hand experience?!

Last edited:
For the record, what's more important to me is that I wasn't scared from the 32 mm Chubby! But I showed it my respect!

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Boris:
...you
proxy.php
proxy.php
it on the head, covered the 'big picture' and the whole 'she-bang' on Shaving Brushes plus you've composed a great info piece for both the young and old! :thumbsup:

proxy.php
“Happiness is the [shaving] brush that sweeps away the cobwebs of your heart”. Mort Walker

Last edited:
Great post Boris. Very well thought out and an enjoyable read..... and informative. Thanks! You once sent me a photo of your brush collection and I've saved that as a reference because of how much I respect your opinions on brushes.

Ben

Thanks Ben and everyone else. I appreciate your support.
As we all like photos, I thought it wouldn't hurt to post my current 15 brush rotation put in order by softness the way I perceive it.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
I'm liking that true flat-top knot! Tell me what it is...... Ummm, then again, maybe not. I don't need another brush :tongue_sm

Great thread and info. Now I don't feel that I've bought too many brushes in the last two years now I will add some of your considerations before I purchase another brush.

Thanks for the thread, very informative, of course now I have an even bigger headache. It gave me ALOT of good info as a newbie..

Top Bottom