What's new

What to consider when purchasing a brush

Thanks for this thread. I’m looking to treat myself for my birthday and with my back out of commission my golf addiction is on hold. Therefore a new general purpose luxury brush is on my radar. I’m returned to wet shaving after 40 years and I’d like a brush good mostly for bowls with creams and softer soaps (Mike’s) but I’d like to face lather on occasion as well. I was thinking of a M & F L7 or other custom when Lee has more time but that will not be in time for my birthday. Looking around this forum the Shavemac D01’s are getting great reviews. I was looking at the 167-2B 24mm fan. Also, why is 3-band recommended as opposed to two?

So what might be the best do everything all around brush for me?

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
Thanks for this thread. I’m looking to treat myself for my birthday and with my back out of commission my golf addiction is on hold. Therefore a new general purpose luxury brush is on my radar. I’m returned to wet shaving after 40 years and I’d like a brush good mostly for bowls with creams and softer soaps (Mike’s) but I’d like to face lather on occasion as well. I was thinking of a M & F L7 or other custom when Lee has more time but that will not be in time for my birthday. Looking around this forum the Shavemac D01’s are getting great reviews. I was looking at the 167-2B 24mm fan. Also, why is 3-band recommended as opposed to two?

So what might be the best do everything all around brush for me?

3-band Silvertips are typically softer than 2-bands, whereas 2-bands generally have more backbone. But in my experience, it's more a continuum than a bright line dividing two categories. E.g., to me the M&F group buy brush straddles the line in terms of its characteristics, although it has a 2-band knot.

Best do everything for you depends on what you like. I have a 24mm L7 in 2-band "Blonde Badger", and it fits the description for me. But mileage varies.

Thanks Ken - I sure do love the handles I've seen on the L7's. For Shavemac I'd probably go with an Ivory.

I've been checking out the custom options on the Shavemac site and I have an option for a 167 handle in tortoise finish with a 24 mm DO-1 2-band knot in a fan shape.

I do not see an option for 3-band. This would be a 50 mm handle height and I selected a 50 mm loft.

My question is whether this is a good choice for my luxury all around soap and cream brush for bowl and face lathering?

Any changes suggested?

Thanks

I'd go with a 3 band D01 for an all around brush.

I just checked and the D01 3 band is there. It is the 4th knot in the knot option. It is just called Silvertip D01

$Untitled picture.png

Last edited:
Got it - Thanks -It was not obvious to me that the DO1 was 3-band because the other option stated 2-band.

Is the 50 mm loft and fan option optimal? I didn't want it too short for bowls and I also have not owned a fan shaped knot.

Last edited:
Got it - Thanks -It was not obvious to me that the DO1 was 3-band because the other option stated 2-band.

Is the 50 mm loft and fan option optimal? I didn't want it too short for bowls and I also have not owned a fan shaped knot.

I find 24/50 to be the Swiss Army brush knot size and can be used for everything and anything.

I have the same handle and knot (167, 24/50, D01) in my Shavemac and couldn't be happier with it, but I face lather it 99% of the time. But I would have no issues bowl lathering it.

its one of the best knots available.

Shavemac D01 3 Band Fan

Overall Height: 99.10 mm
Handle Height: 50.00 mm
Knot Loft: 49.10 mm
Knot Diameter: 25.36 mm

Last edited by a moderator:
Amazing. The fact that there is so much choice and variation in brushes knocks me out.
I started with a VDH "Deluxe" box set from Walmart, and then found a Snagshout deal on a nice Beau Brummell badger for under $10.
Hooked at that point.
THEN, my local discount store has a couple Parker Black Badger brushes with stands for $9 each... and now I suddenly have 4 decent brushes at home for almost no money. Great!
Now I've found a New Old Stock Hardwright boar brush at a local antique shop for $15... and tempted to try that also.
This is crazy. And my wife is starting to wonder about my sanity.
And the razors, and blades, and aftershaves, and creams/soaps...
This IS crazy.
;)

Top Bottom