What's new

what supplements & vitamins do you take?

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
C - 1.000 mg
Magnesium - 400 mg
NAC - 600 mg
Zinc - 50 mg
Quercetin 500 mg
Glutathione - 500 mg
B-complex
D3 - 15,000 units
K2 Mk 4 & Mk 7
1 low dose Aspirin
Levothyroxine 75 mcg

Next time at the doctor be sure to have your Vitamin D (25 Hydroxy) checked. Should get to a level of 50+.

I've taken them, off and on, for years. While my wife swears they make a difference to her, I can't say I really notice a difference between taking them and not taking them. I take a Centrum mens 50+, a 2k D since I don't go outside much and a 500 C. I gave up taking glucosamine and CoQ10 because I didn't notice a difference.

The one exception that seems to be working is a prostate vitamin that I began taking in August. I've had a problem for years getting up during the night, but didn't want to see a doctor or go on prescription drugs. I have a friend who had tried all the drugs and didn't like the side effects. When it got to the point of me getting up every 2-3 hours every night, I started taking TruNature Prostate Plus Health Complex last August. It took about 4 months, but most nights I can now go 6-7 hours without having to get up. I still have sleep issues some nights, but not for that reason.

Vitamin D. Seems to be an association with higher vitamin D blood levels and better health, but I have to wonder what's cause and what's effect. (Healthy outdoor living resulting in higher vitamin D blood levels, or a more efficient digestive tract.) However it's not very expensive, I try to follow dermatologist's recommendations on sun exposure, and I don't know of any downsides with moderate intake.

this might be a fun vid to watch dr Mason has some good info often that is interesting

I played around with it but never noticed anything ? then again being from Maui and moving to PHX I am in that sunny space all the time
with humans history and living in cold climates lack of sun etc.. we would not be here if it was truly as some make it out to be I am starting to think :)

I am Swedish by blood so red beard meaning (now more grey than red) blone/red hair (again starting to grey at 59) I should be read fried all the time :) hahahahah
I would rarely wear sun screen and when I did usually just on my nose and worked on boats diving so in full sun all day and was insane dark and rarely did get burnt like every other year maybe

never had any skin conditions and I look way younger than people think and do have good skin no wrinkles more than the norm for my age and dont have a lot of lines etc.. so don't think that insane sun exposure did anything to me and yeah had been burnt a few times but not all that much really

I personally do not think sun screens are good for a person :) if you need some cover up a shirt and hat :) not a chemical on my skin kinda person if I do not have to
I did eat a insane amount of fish almost daily ? (part of what he talks about in the vid)
I am a huge proper Diet is key to good life kinda guy :)

Vitamin D. Seems to be an association with higher vitamin D blood levels and better health, but I have to wonder what's cause and what's effect. (Healthy outdoor living resulting in higher vitamin D blood levels, or a more efficient digestive tract.) However it's not very expensive, I try to follow dermatologist's recommendations on sun exposure, and I don't know of any downsides with moderate intake.
On the vit d this came in the other day and remembered this thread :)

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I use a lot of supplements. I'm in my later 60's and have many of the issues that crop up in that age group. Chronic pain, enlarged prostate, joint issues, sleep issues, etc. I'm also a retired nurse and get fairly extensive lab work-ups twice a year. Other than the ravages of old age, I don't have any major health issues and I don't take any prescription meds. B/P is OK, cholesterol is borderline, some insulin resistance, I could stand to lose at least 20 lbs, working on it.
I take Centrum Silver and an extra B complex daily. Just to cover the bases. If I make expensive urine, then I probably have reached a usable saturation level. I take magnesium because nearly everyone is deficient in magnesium according to a cardiologist I used to work with. My mag levels are good and not excessive per my lab results. I'm a big proponent of vitamin C. I use Ester-C because it is well absorbed and is not irritating to the stomach in higher doses. Before Covid, I'd take 1000mg a day and take 2000 mg a day during Flu season. I never would get the flu shots at work, I never got the flu and I stayed healthier than my co-workers who did get the flu shot. Since Covid, I take 1000 mg twice a day of vitamin C, and if I feel a cold coming on, or anything viral, I'll jack up the Vitamin C to 6000mg the first day and tapper off to 5000, 4000, 3000 and finally back to 2000mg a day. Cold or other viral symptoms usually resolve in a couple of days instead of a week or more. Talking to physicians about this regimen, they usually respond that it is not supported by the medical literature. But it seems to work for me. I also take D3 and zinc. Oh, I never got the Covid shot either, worked around Covid patients in the ICU, never got Covid but many of my coworkers did, even with the shot.
I've tried a few of the OTC concoctions for prostate and urinary tract health and can't say that they helped much. I'm about to start a high dose Tumeric/curcumin regimen for a couple of reasons, mostly anti-inflamatory, that is supposed to also help with prostate issues, we'll see.
I take Relief Factor for chronic pain issues, it helps somewhat, but it's expensive. I've found that taking CBD helps with chronic pain and I'm consequently using half as much Relief factor. CBD also helps with sleep issues and I also use melatonin. If I'm really having trouble sleeping, I'll add 5-HTP (trytophan), L- Theanine and L-Lysine.
I use Ashwaganda to reduce Cortisol levels and relieve stress.
I use L-arginine and Picnogenol for circulatory issues.
I try to eat healthy, organic when possible and not too expensive, try to avoid High Fructose Corn Syrup and highly processed foods. But sometimes you just have to have that pizza or highly processed convenience food.
What I've learned so far is that high quality supplements are essential or you are probably wasting your money. If you buy the cheapest thing from the grocery store, it's probably trash. Most natural supplements take time before you see significant results, a month is often not long enough to make a meaningful determination. Not everything works for everybody. You can also develop a resistance to where what was working for you, stops working. Sometimes you need to cycle between different products.It's an ongoing process for me and most of what I take has obvious benefits, on some the jury is still out.

Last edited:

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I use a lot of supplements. I'm in my later 60's and have many of the issues that crop up in that age group. Chronic pain, enlarged prostate, joint issues, sleep issues, etc. I'm also a retired nurse and get fairly extensive lab work-ups twice a year. Other than the ravages of old age, I don't have any major health issues and I don't take any prescription meds. B/P is OK, cholesterol is borderline, some insulin resistance, I could stand to lose at least 20 lbs, working on it.

20 lbs over is about where I started 2 years ago.
I take Centrum Silver and an extra B complex daily. Just to cover the bases.

The xtra B is a good thing, many are very low in their b intake. You should consider dropping the Centrum Silver which is a synthetic multivitamin and finding an excellent all natural multivitamin which is better absorbed by the body. I take this.

688E5CC4-0ABD-497D-BEC6-8A5EDF856281.jpeg

While I am not a diabetic, if one reads the back of the label and see's what these bad boys have to offer in blood sugar, insulin and cortisol stabilization, you don't have to be a diabetic to want that. It also has many other awesome ingredients that old growing boys like us need/want. They're all natural and timed release which allows my body to absorb them more slowly and naturally. What's not to love? :) Mega-Men have a sport version and an over 50 version for men. They are good,but I think this one is better.

If I make expensive urine, then I probably have reached a usable saturation level. I take magnesium because nearly everyone is deficient in magnesium according to a cardiologist I used to work with. My mag levels are good and not excessive per my lab results.

I take my magnesium at night. Promotes workout recovery, helps balance blood sugar, (many don't know this) relaxes muscles and nerves and helps promote sleep. We get plenty of calcium from our diets, but magnesium works really well if you stack it together with zinc, NAC, Querccetin and Bromelain.

I'm a big proponent of vitamin C. I use Ester-C because it is well absorbed and is not irritating to the stomach in higher doses. Before Covid, I'd take 1000mg a day and take 2000 mg a day during Flu season. I never would get the flu shots at work, I never got the flu and I stayed healthier than my co-workers who did get the flu shot. Since Covid, I take 1000 mg twice a day of vitamin C, and if I feel a cold coming on, or anything viral, I'll jack up the Vitamin C to 6000mg the first day and tapper off to 5000, 4000, 3000 and finally back to 2000mg a day. Cold or other viral symptoms usually resolve in a couple of days instead of a week or more. Talking to physicians about this regimen, they usually respond that it is not supported by the medical literature. But it seems to work for me.

Many know not to take vitamin C especially large doses with iron because it prevents the absorption of iron. But many may not realize vitamin C also inhibits the absorption of B12. Make sure to take your B complex several hours after or before your C supplement. I also don't take C at night or on an empty stomach because it is acidic and can cause digestion troubles if not done with food.

I also take D3 and zinc. Oh, I never got the Covid shot either, worked around Covid patients in the ICU, never got Covid but many of my coworkers did, even with the shot.
I've tried a few of the OTC concoctions for prostate and urinary tract health and can't say that they helped much. I'm about to start a high dose Tumeric/curcumin regimen for a couple of reasons, mostly anti-inflamatory, that is supposed to also help with prostate issues, we'll see.
I take Relief Factor for chronic pain issues, it helps somewhat, but it's expensive. I've found that taking CBD helps with chronic pain and I'm consequently using half as much Relief factor. CBD also helps with sleep issues and I also use melatonin.

Did you know that Stinging Nettle is really good for Prostate? I was seeing an Oncology doctor every 6 months because of a swollen prostrate and high PSA levels. The last 6 months before my next PSA and MRI imaging, I started taking Nettle. You have to read the label carefully, because there is Nettle Leaf and Stem supplements and Nettle Root and Nettle Root Extract supplements. The extract combo with the root is harder to find and more expensive, but the extract is what you want.

After my last imaging and PSA test, my PSA was 1.5 and he said imaging was inconclusive, which means normal
in Doc speak... :) He scheduled my next appointment a full year out. If things still look good then? who knows how far out he will schedule me again.

If I'm really having trouble sleeping, I'll add 5-HTP (trytophan), L- Theanine and L-Lysine.
I use Ashwaganda to reduce Cortisol levels and relieve stress.
I use L-arginine and Picnogenol for circulatory issues.
I try to eat healthy, organic when possible and not too expensive, try to avoid High Fructose Corn Syrup and highly processed foods. But sometimes you just have to have that pizza or highly processed convenience food.
What I've learned so far is that high quality supplements are essential or you are probably wasting your money. If you buy the cheapest thing from the grocery store, it's probably trash. Most natural supplements take time before you see significant results, a month is often not long enough to make a meaningful determination. Not everything works for everybody. You can also develop a resistance to where what was working for you, stops working. Sometimes you need to cycle between different products.It's an ongoing process for me and most of what I take has obvious benefits, on some the jury is still out.

Agreed. :)

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
..... I also don't take C at night or on an empty stomach because it is acidic and can cause digestion troubles if not done with food.

This is where Ester-C brand is important. It doesn't irritate the stomach at higher doses. I often take it just before bed without a problem. YMMV.

I train regularly for weight training.
That's why I supplement whey protein, creatine, l-arginine and curcuma.
Magnesium + calcium rather irregular.
I largely do without vitamin supplements.
I try to eat fresh and largely unprocessed foods.
I prefer the eggs from my chickens.

OkieStubble

I train regularly for weight training.
That's why I supplement whey protein, creatine, l-arginine and curcuma.
Magnesium + calcium rather irregular.
I largely do without vitamin supplements.
I try to eat fresh and largely unprocessed foods.
I prefer the eggs from my chickens.

Vitamins are cheaper. You must be rich? ;)

Vitamins are cheaper. You must be rich? ;)
I doubt a positive effect of cheap vitamin products on the human body.
The question is how much of the stuff do you ingest and how much ends up in the toilet ;).
What do you think, which vitamin do you need where there is a deficiency?

Last edited:

OkieStubble

I doubt a positive effect of cheap vitamin products on the human body.
The question is how much of the stuff do you ingest and how much ends up in the toilet ;).
What do you think, which vitamin do you need where there is a deficiency?

50 percent of Americans have major deficiencies in:
Magnesium
D3
B12 (folic acid)
B6
Fish Oils (Omega 3's)
Vitamin A
Vitamin C
Vitamin K2
Zinc

Minerals:
Chromium Picolinate
Iodine

Supplements that one may not be deficient in, but helps the body to detox or improve health

NAC- helps control Glutathione deficiency, which occurs frequently in many diseases because of a variety of factors that include viral protein-mediated GSH depletion uncontrolled inflammatory reactions and increased generation of free radicals. Also helps the Liver and Kidney's as an antioxidant. Also helps the Thyroid in regulating hormones working along with iodine which also helps the thyroid.

Certain digestive enzymes, like Bromelain, Protease, Lipase, Amylase helps break down and digest proteins, fats and carbs for older people with slow digestions

Probiotics & Prebiotics for good gut bacteria and flora. Not only strengthens the Mucosal Linings of our organs, body cavities, nose, mouth, lungs and stomach, Medical science is showing, keeping a healthy Mucosal and gut flora, promotes the prevention of many diseases and cancers.

Tumeric- (Curcumin) Major anti-inflammatory. So is Ginger, Spirulina, Chlorophyll and Green Tea Extracts.

While I would suggest the vitamins everyday in a multivitamin, many multivitamins have a bunch of everything, but not enough of any one thing in particular. But there's somethings in this list that can benefit most everyone, if they are not already shining examples of perfect health and would like to improve or supplement their diets and daily nutrition.

Oh yeah, but your miles may vary. You do you. :)

Top Bottom