What's new

What shaving rules must you abide by?

Back in 2012, nobody thought to make a rule that said "you are not allowed to lather with a cheezie" ... and see where that led!
Ha.....I indulged in a sleeve of Hawkins Cheezies earlier tonight. I had already shaved though, so didn't attempt to lather with any.

Completely forgot about that experiment.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
For me personally it seems going XTG is absolutely asking for ingrown hairs regardless the razor be it a DE, cartridge or SE. It is a WTG and ATG shave for me only.

The other is I can not shave daily unless it’s one pass WTG otherwise it’s weeper and irritation city. I’m curious if others feel have the same issues or not?
I personally make a distinction between irritation and weepers, but I only shave my face - so I could be full of what the bull produced. I believe the only way to get a weeper is a lapse in technique - usually razor angle, but could be complicated by excess pressure. I imagine every face has its limits when it comes to irritation.

I think there is only one rule: if it works for you it's a good idea.

A few years ago I had to outlaw touch-ups. I turned them into a 4th pass on my chin and jawline, and that was just too much for my daily shaves/skin. When applying balm, it would really drive me crazy to feel those spots that needed some touch-up, but over many months it taught me to pay more attention to those areas during the earlier passes. But I certainly wouldn't suggest it as a rule for anyone else.

I would strongly suggest too much pressure is a poor practice, but there are people with iron skin that can get away with a great deal.

So much variety in skin, beards and techniques - although I suspect there is not so much variation in technique with experienced shavers. Then there is the variation in prep, consistency of lather, equipment and post shave practices. If it works for you it's good.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I can’t seem to break the 3-pass rule unless there are extreme circumstances. Like if I cut myself, or get some bad irritation mid-shave. It it has to be severe to make me skip that third pass. I almost always do three passes. Sometimes I will set out to do a two pass shave. Like if I absolutely need to shave two days in a row because of meetings, etc. I have a somewhat slow growing beard. It’s thick once it gets going. But it takes some time to materialize. It’s not a bad thing. Just the speed at which my beard grows. So as a result, I really can only shave every other day at the most. So if I have a need to shave on two consecutive days, I may set out to do a two pass shave the first day in the hopes that that will leave enough growth for the following day. But I never can stop. I get to the end of the second pass, rinse, and can not leave it be. I have to do the three complete passes. Every time.

The best rule I’ve found is to always believe there are no rules (except that one). Don’t follow the crowd or feel you should prefer a particular kind of equipment, method, or technique just because everyone else seems to prefer it.

Many of my best discoveries that improved my shaves were contrary to received wisdom, but they were better for me (and maybe for you too). You can only really find out what’s best for you by trying things and judging for yourself (though over time you will start to understand what you’re looking for and why this works for you, find others with similar preferences, and your hit rate should improve a lot).

There always seem to be fads and fashions in shaving, which you should probably treat with a modicum of scepticism. The emperor had no clothes, so remember that. People’s stated opinions are often skewed by confirmation bias or a desire to fit in. And don’t listen when someone says something is good or bad - listen when they actually describe what it is like, what they are comparing to, and what level of experience they have, and then judge for yourself whether it sounds promising to you or not. Look at a wide range of views too.

In the end, your skin, your hair, your technique, your face shape, etc. are unique to you. Only you can figure this out. Others can offer ideas for you to try, but that’s all.

Thou shalt abide by this law, that a "Good Prep" shall be thy foundation and the basis of thy shave, for the "Good Prep" is a harbinger of smooth chins and a cause of rejoicing amongst men.

Without the "Good Prep", ye shall find no comfort in this world of shaving.

And of those who turn aside from the "Good Prep", saying to one another, "What need have we of this prep?" Verily I say unto ye, that they shall dwell forever in the Valley of Tugging, where there is much razor burn, and many weepers, and the blackest despair!

Thou shalt abide by this law, that a "Good Prep" shall be thy foundation and the basis of thy shave, for the "Good Prep" is a harbinger of smooth chins and a cause of rejoicing amongst men.

Without the "Good Prep", ye shall find no comfort in this world of shaving.

And of those who turn aside from the "Good Prep", saying to one another, "What need have we of this prep?" Verily I say unto ye, that they shall dwell forever in the Valley of Tugging, where there is much razor burn, and many weepers, and the blackest despair!
Best post ever. Too good for a mere shaving forum, in fact. It should be painted on the wall of a fine shaveware or barber establishment. Or they should bulldoze the office of P&G and place a huge tablet inscribed with these words in its place.

Top Bottom