What's new

What shaving rules must you abide by?

For me personally it seems going XTG is absolutely asking for ingrown hairs regardless the razor be it a DE, cartridge or SE. It is a WTG and ATG shave for me only.

The other is I can not shave daily unless it’s one pass WTG otherwise it’s weeper and irritation city. I’m curious if others feel have the same issues or not?

Here are my Shaving Rules:
  • Don't cut yourself, dummy.
  • Don't use a blade too many times. They're cheap. Three uses is the limit.
  • Stay within a budget, even if the budget is larger than a rational person would spend on shaving.
  • Take good care of your razors, blades, soaps/creams and brushes. They're tools to a good shave and you want them to last.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
1. No wonky razors (slants). I don't care if it was intentional. It's wonky, I don't want it anywhere near my face.

2. No adjustables. A razor should be the same every time I reach for it.

3. No Polsilver blades or Gillette Silver Blue. I want to cut the hair, not uproot it.

4. No menthol. It burns my skin.

5. Lather should be wet and slick, and applied thinly. No cake face lathers.

6. No razors known to have blade alignment issues. I can't see clearly enough so compensate for the manufacturer's shortcomings.

7. No lavender. That really shouldn't need explaining.

8. No stink bombs (Tabac, Lilac Vegetal, etc) or anything that smells like I should be aiming at it during other bathroom activities (Arko, erc)

9. Aim to cut hair at skin level, not below skin level.

10. Hydrate hair not skin. Softened skin due to overhydration can lead to increased irritation, and an increase in ingrown hairs.

mcee_sharp

MCEAPWINMOLQOVTIAAWHAMARTHAEHOAIDIAMRHDAE
I've shaved twice in the same day ONCE (thrice if I were to be honest) my generally bomb proof face doesn't appreciate that. I probably won't do that again (until I do).

I don't do WTG passes, it's just not effective enough for my beard, although if I'm trying out a new razor and just don't want the shave to end, I'll add a WTG pass at the end.

Puff out my cheeks, but not Dizzy Gillespie puffed, that's just asking for irritation there for me.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I don't have rules, I don't think. I do have a few routines that seem to work for me, including showering before I shave. The two badger brushes (usually, though this will change in DecemBOAR) are both soaking in a coffee mug, the shaving soap has been turned into a slurry of sorts and the bowl is sitting in a sink of hot water, ready for lathering, etc. while I shower.

I do start with WTG, do two XTG passed, one in each direction, then finally an ATG pass and touchup problem areas and check for places I've missed. Sometimes, with certain razors, the two XTG passes are enough on my upper lip, sometimes, I need that ATG pass to get that area smooth. I have recently started adding an application of pre-shave before each pass, other than the two XTG passes. I just put on some extra lather I keep between my thumb and forefinger just for that purpose.

Edit: I almost never shave two days in a row... I would like to shave every other day, but I only manage that sporadically. I should be shaving tonight but we got home late enough after a 3 hour drive, I felt like relaxing with my wife instead. I'll shower tomorrow morning without shaving and might get a shave in after work tomorrow. We'll see.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
If you reread my post, you will see that said I have no rules (outside of never shaving over the mashed potatoes and gravy). I'll pretty much try everything and anything when it comes to shaving. Straights (face and head), SEs (the same), DEs (the same), now on a cart kick for a while, shower/no-shower, balm-vs-alcohol-vs-water rinse only, alum/no alum, 1 pass/2 pass/ 3 pass etc....

If something doesn't work, I'll still keep at it for a week or two or even months (might simply be technique is off) and then stop doing "X" for a few years, only to come back to it again.

It's just shaving.

👆What Sam said...."It's just shaving". There are no rules.

I posted a thread back in 2016 with this opening post and still stand by it.

"After a few years using the "3017" method, a couple years of "Use More Product", a year of "365 Shaves", a successful "Shave Sabbatical" and now in the "One Year, One Brand" thread, I've come to the realization that "12. Remember that in the end, it's not solving world hunger. It's just shaving!"

I don't time myself. I don't take note of how many swirls on my soap. I don't remember how I hold my razor. I don't notice how long it takes my brush to dry. I don't count how many days I have used my blade. I don't know how hard my water is....I just shave.

And you know what, my shaves are more enjoyable than they have ever been. Nothing wrong with doing all that stuff. I used to weigh and track my daily shaves and soaps, but stopped a while back and have no plans to do it again.

Now I simply "just shave"."

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Back in 2012, nobody thought to make a rule that said "you are not allowed to lather with a cheezie" ... and see where that led!

Top Bottom