What's new

What Shavette/Barber-Razor and Blade did you use today? We like PICS

I actually had fun. I als

Awesome! I generally shave with traditional straight razors, but truly enjoy a shavette shave now and again to switch it up.

Just remember, go at your own pace. Both during the shave itself and also progressing through the overall learning curve. I'm sure you'll do fine.

1585259573881.png

I posted this on the clubs and brotherhood thread, but I'll briefly post it here, too.

This morning was my 150th Feather SS shave. Kind of a milestone, I guess. (I logged over 250 traditional straight razor shaves when I was still using straight razors.). So now I have over 400 open blade shaves.

It was a good two-pass shave, smooth and comfortable.

I'll not sure if I am going to keep counting shaves or not. Maybe I'll count until I get to 500, and then stop, I don't know.

Just out of curiosity, has anybody kept counting to beyond 500? A thousand?

Raises hand half-way. I over 600 straight shaves since I started about 2.5 years ago in August 2017.

I don't explicitly keep track, but I have been saving my SOTD posts since 2015. My entries follow a repeatable (and easily parseable) format. I'm an engineer and a software developer, so I just wrote a bunch of report generator queries to extract some stats. Ask me anything ;-)

I posted this on the clubs and brotherhood thread, but I'll briefly post it here, too.

This morning was my 150th Feather SS shave. Kind of a milestone, I guess. (I logged over 250 traditional straight razor shaves when I was still using straight razors.). So now I have over 400 open blade shaves.

It was a good two-pass shave, smooth and comfortable.

I'll not sure if I am going to keep counting shaves or not. Maybe I'll count until I get to 500, and then stop, I don't know.

Nice milestone, I would probably continue until 500 arrives and celebrate by buying a Feather DX or DE shavette and continue counting until 750. :) Mostly kidding about the new purchase but it does get tedious to count. I am still counting the number of shaves that I am getting from a puck of MWF and Tabac, both are part of a big rotation and hard to make disappear, so I will not be counting other things.

Universal shavette. Shark stainless steel blade. Tabac. Yaqi brush. Nivea As.

Not the best picture...

Attachments

• IMG_20200329_114705.jpg
    IMG_20200329_114705.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 23
Universal shavette. Shark stainless steel blade. Tabac. Yaqi brush. Nivea As.
Hey, nice to see you around here again. Look what I used:

Mar 29: Universal is Back

Lather:
La Toja Crema de Afeitar in a tub
Brush: Omega 0196745 BLACK Hi-Brush (24/56mm)
Razor: Universal Rasoio a Mano Libera Lama Intera 7/8
Blade: Treet Platinum Super Stainless [40]
Balm: Chatillon Lux TSM Fougere Salve

The last few times I used the Universal, I was thinking that maybe this is no longer my desert island razor, preferring razors with more exposure. Today's shave threw that all out the window. Stupendous shave with a reasonably old blade. The Universal is back, baby!
proxy.php

Hey, nice to see you around here again. Look what I used:

Mar 29: Universal is Back

Lather:
La Toja Crema de Afeitar in a tub
Brush: Omega 0196745 BLACK Hi-Brush (24/56mm)
Razor: Universal Rasoio a Mano Libera Lama Intera 7/8
Blade: Treet Platinum Super Stainless [40]
Balm: Chatillon Lux TSM Fougere Salve

The last few times I used the Universal, I was thinking that maybe this is no longer my desert island razor, preferring razors with more exposure. Today's shave threw that all out the window. Stupendous shave with a reasonably old blade. The Universal is back, baby!
proxy.php
Thanks my friend.

I sold all apart the universal lama intera.

Yours is a great set up. That means you are doing great. :)

Are there any new shavette models recently worth to consider?

No pic, but today was a new experience for me with my Feather SS folding; tried a blade I've never tried before. My usual blade is the Schick Prolines. I've tried Kai Mild, Feather ProGuard, and Feather Pro.

Today I loaded up a Feather Super Professional. I understand these protrude a bit farther, so I tried using a slightly shallower angle and was easy on the pressure.

Long story short, uneventful two-pass plus touch-up shave. Not sure it is better than my beloved Prolines, and it was only a single shave, but it worked out pretty well.

I'll give a better report later after I've had a chance to use it more.

(Oh, and my lather this morning was from vintage Williams. Nice.)

Are there any new shavette models recently worth to consider?
I don't think there is anything *new* in the shavette world - only variations of the same themes. The only shavette that is different is the Shear Mattaki style, which you can buy clones of on AliExpress for under $10 (I have the Strong Leopard shown below)
proxy.php
It's different because the side of the razor has a hollow ground profile like a real straight razor.

I've pretty much narrowed it down to 5 shavettes in regular rotation - Universal, Weck Sextoblade, Feather SS, Strong Leopard 74-A, and Spilo Magic clone.

Mar 30: Classic Italian Menthol Monday

Lather:
Proraso Green "Super Formula"
Brush: Semogue 1800 (22/55mm)
Razor: Sedef Shavette 5/8
Blade: Feather Artist Club Professional [21]

I tried another hybrid shave again today, the Turkish Sedef barber razor, but instead of using a half DE blade that it was designed for, I used the Feather Artist Club blade that I've been using in my Feather SS.

Even though this is the same blade, there's a huge difference in the way the Sedef and SS feel. The SS feels like the the razor is contributing to the shave, while the Sedef feels like it's just a blade holder, letting you do all the work (much like the Weck Sextoblade or Spilo Magic Razor).

At 21 shaves, the Feather Pro is still wicked sharp, and the razor, which is super thin and weighs nothing, is very manoeuvrable - too manoeuvrable for someone without solid skills or is prone to inattention.

The blade loading is still scary as hell, and it's the only razor I own that is destined to give new a horrible stitch-worthy finger filleting eventually.
proxy.php

Top Bottom