What's new

What razor/blade did you use today

Gillette Tech & Lord SC (3)
IMG20220607161522.jpg

Newbie alert. I followed up yesterday's vintage blade experience with a new Personna Platinum blade in my P4 1970 Super Speed and Tabac soap. It was my first time using this type of blade and soap. I followed up with Intesa sensitive shave balm that I bought in Italy.
PXL_20220607_130000490.jpg

Although I'm still a novice DE shaver (only 10 weeks), this may have been the worst shave I've ever had of any type. And, I'm not sure why it happened. I nicked myself under my nose and on my left jawline. I've got some irritation on my neck also (which might just be residual from yesterday). I stopped after the second drama-filled pass because I did not want even more drama.

The really strange part was that the shave was comfortable at all times and decently close. I will say that yesterday's tugfest shave with a 1950 Blue Blade (link) left my face feeling a little angry at me. Oddly, it seemed that the irritation from yesterday's shave grew throughout the day, and it persisted into this morning. I almost wonder if I just needed to let my face heal more from that experience before shaving again.

I don't think this morning's drama flowed from the Personna blade or the Tabac soap. The blade was sharp (obviously) and smooth. The soap was slick and smells great, even if it did not provide a thick cushiony feeling. I enjoyed both very much and will give them another chance after my face heals.

Normally, these Super Speeds give a pretty mild shave for me. But, I double checked the blade gaps on this particular razor and discovered that the TTO knob really needs to be firmly tightened to ensure that the gap is correct (at 0.025 inches). If I fell short of really snugging the TTO knob, the gap measured as high as 0.034 inches (a significant difference). Maybe I was careless about tightening the TTO knob. I like to loosen the knob slightly before rinsing the razor while shaving.

Live and learn. I welcome any thoughts, including if this is TMI :sleep12:

I dropped a 2x use Personna blue label blade in a recently acquired Aristocrat, washed up, slathered up with the usual stuff and took the Aristocrat for a spin.

It’s a very efficient razor, bordering on dangerous! ;) I had to step back, take a breath, throttle back, use a lighter touch, and let the razor do the work. Got a BBS shave in the end. It’s a keeper! It would be a real pussycat with a milder blade.92EA0720-FABB-4585-8034-9C49044F79FC.jpeg

Last edited:
I tend to use my DE's for a year or two before rotating. Last shave, I dug out a GameChanger .68 with Barber Pole handle, which I hadn't used since 2019, pre-plague. With my current favorite Gillette Platinum ("Swede") blade, that I never tried before in this DE, it went through 10 days of growth like butter. Looks like, I'll be sticking with this combo for now.

Top Bottom