What's new

What razor/blade did you use today

PreWar Tech
ASCO Super Stainless
IMG_5389.jpg

Razor: M1 Slim Adjustable started on 3 and switched to 5 – Thanks to @KenM for a great deal on this super nice M1 I was looking for! Amazingly good shave, I had never used a vintage razor before. I was thinking I'd get it re-plated in white platinum or maybe 2-tone, but its nice as it is so not sure yet.
Blade: Astra SP
Soap: Stirling Coconut lime
Snake Bite Aftershave
Duke Cannon Ice Cold

SOTD03272023M1SLIM.jpg

Cream: Cremo original
Razor/Blade:
Head - High Proof w/ Astra SP
Face/Neck - Yaqi Bohemia w/ Astra SP
Alum: Omega stick
Aftershave:
Face/Neck - Fine Snake Bite
Head/Neck - Nivea Sensitive

full

9/10

Hefty hefty hefty. New Bohemia razor and to me looks fantastic and seems really well made. It seems pretty head heavy which if you like that this certainly is up your alley. The top cap isn't very bulky itself and just clamps right down on the blade with out bending it much at all. You can see that if you zoom in on the image above. There's a blade in there and it clamps down with barely any blade exposed and by eye looks very precise.

There's two sides to the head with numbers 1 on one side and 2 on the other. I used it with the 1 facing up and I assume that's the mild side. At least I hope so because that was super mild and wasn't very efficient. Very narrow window to get the angle right too.

The weight of the razor helped and applied more pressure then I normally would have. The up stroke was a little awkward with the weight fighting against me.

The shave itself was good. I actually had no issue at all getting up under my nose. I was able to get all the hairs even the little crevice that's hard to get too with a bulkier top cap. The head maybe bulky but the top cap where it matters is not.

It wasn't very efficient so I did have some extra work to hit many touch up areas. I did end up irritating my neck a bit doing so. This is where a balance of wanting a mild razor for a super sensitive neck and needing efficiency for the swirling vortexes of death of hair growth fight against each other. It's hard to find that balance.

I'm really looking forward to trying the other side of the baseplate tomorrow.

Last edited:
Razor: Blackland Blackbird Lite (79)
Blade: Gillette Nacet (5)
Pre-shave: Hot shower
Brush: RazoRock Plissoft Monster Synthetic Shaving Brush - 26mm
Lather: Stirling Soap Naked & Smooth
Aftershave: Cold water rinse; Stirling Soap Co Unscented Post Shave Balm

Shave #1 with Nacet (1) new blade

No nicks; No irritation; Very close; smooth; DFS+ shave. The Nacet appears to be less sharp than the Perma-Sharp Super on the first shave. The Nacet was almost tugging ATG on the first shave. A little buffing was needed on the upper lip. I would prefer the Perma-Sharp based on first shave results.

Shave #2 with Perma-Sharp (1) new blade

No nicks; No irritation; Very close; Very smooth; DFS+ shave. A pleasant shave. The Perma-Sharp Super is definitely sharper than the Nacet on the first shave. I would prefer the Perma-Sharp based on first shave results.

Shave #3 with Nacet (2)

No nicks; No irritation; Very close; Very smooth; A pleasant DFS+ shave. Not as much pulling on this shave compared to shave #1.

Shave #4 with Gillette PermaSharp (2)

No nicks; No irritation; Very Close; Very smooth; A pleasant DFS+ shave. A tad closer and smoother than the Nacet on it’s second shave.

Shave #5 with Gillette Nacet (3)

No nicks; No irritation; Close; Very Smooth; A pleasant DFS shave. The blade is losing sharpness but stays smooth.

Shave #6 with Gillette PermaSharp (3)

No nicks; No irritation; Very Close; Very smooth; A pleasant DFS+ shave. Much closer than the Nacet on the 3rd shave.

Shave #7 with Gillette Nacet (4)

No nicks; No irritation; Close; Smooth; A pleasant DFS shave. The blade is losing sharpness and leaves some stubble ATG especially on the lower neck areas but stays smooth.

Shave #8 with Gillette Perma-Sharp (4)

No nicks; No irritation; Very close; Very smooth; A pleasant DFS+ shave. The Perma-Sharp is on target and still going strong.

Shave #9 with Gillette Nacet (5)

No nicks; No irritation; Close; Smooth; A pleasant DFS shave. Cleanup was needed below both jaw lines. A lot of buffing on the upper lip needed.

Like all things in wet shaving, YMMV.

Shave log summary 20230311

Cheers!!!

Top Bottom