What's new

What razor/blade did you use today

Parker Semi Slant with 7 o'clock super platinum (2)

20220118_055403.jpg

Yesterday afternoon on a 36-hour beard, I wielded the vintage '62 Gillette Slim: setting 6 on the first, WTG pass, then 5 on the second, ATG, and on the cleanup. I don't care to do a full XTG on only a 36-hour beard. My lower lip was not completely happy with the 6 setting; perhaps I need to go back to 5 or even 4 for that area. No nicks, not even any real irritation, but I suspect the latter was lurking waiting for a chance.

Still love the Slim. It was my first vintage razor.

To get my rotation back on track, since I don't usually shave on a Monday and I want to shave before my haircut on Saturday, I plan to do a quick 1-pass shave tonight, perhaps with the '53 Super Speed; then Thursday morning (36 hours again; maybe the Red Tip this time) and Saturday will be a 48-hour with the Hoffritz Slant.

Last edited:
Jan 17th:

Rex Ambassador / Rapira Platinum Lux (7th)
Dove Men +Care Pre-Shave
Piccadilly (Sandalwood) / 30mm Synthetic
Mentholated Witch Hazel
Halston Z14 Aftershave
Nivea Post-Shave Balm
Halston Z14 Cologne/EDT

Results: Refreshing 2-Pass BBS shave, and so much nicer than the cart shave over the weekend.

J2 Gillette Slim / KCG (2) / Proraso Pre-shave & Cella / Pinaud Clubman -- Not having shaved since Friday's 3-pass SR shave, I considered taking part in "Torrey Tuesday", but realized I hadn't done a DE shave since before Christmas. I couldn't remember the last time I used a Slim, but still had to fight to not grab for a Fat Boy, Old Type or New Improved. I like the KCG blades almost as much as a vintage Wilkinson Sword, and the Slim gave an impressively nice smooth DFS+ shave. I want to love the Slim, but if forced to choose, I'll use a Fat Boy every time for: larger head profile, the weight, balance, shorter handle, knurling, and with big hands, the larger diameter handle is easier to hold. The Slim is a great razor, just not my first choice (MMDV).
J2 Slim Shave.jpg

Top Bottom