What's new

What is uncomfortable DURING a shave?

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
What I learned when to toss a blade when using a certain brand of blades is just keep track of uses of the blade.
If your getting 4-6 nice shaves on a certain brand of blade I would use 5 as time to toss the blade or use it as a warning # next shave could be borderline .
Works for myself and maybe others will use averages when to toss. Not worth pushing a blade past its useful life just to say I got 30 shaves on this dull blade IMO.

Great advice above. Tugging, uncomfortable, not as sharp, & irritation are all signs of the blade degrading. As your technique improves, you will become more aware of the nuances of your blade. The Treet Platinum is a very good blade. Enjoy your shaves!

+1! Great advice!! When I start to feel ‘tugging’ or the blade is becoming uncomfortable, it’s time for a change.

:a21::a21:

I have a rather sparse but pretty coarse beard. As I move through testing a series of blades, there are basically three criteria I use to ditch a blade. When a blade gets a little "tuggy" I finish the shave and call it done. Painful tugginess comes next UNLESS it is shave #1. Some blades give a better SECOND shave but if that one is not much improved, I bin the blade. #2, when she blade degrades to a close comfortable shave (CCS). The standard shave definitions are BBS (Baby Butt Smooth), DFS (Darn Fine Shave), CCS and SAS (Socially Acceptable Shave). I'll take a CCS, but for me, an SAS comes next and that means too much stubble in the afternoon for a comfortable day at work so I try not to go there. See: Abbreviations - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/wiki/Abbreviations

Finally, some blades are not good matches to your razor, lather or technique and draw blood. For my current test, the razor and soap are not changing so I bin any blade that asks for too much blood. In reality, these should be tried at least once more with a different razor and lather source before you decide they aren't worth the effort, but AFTER a visual inspection to make sure there isn't an actual problem with the edge.

That said, I don't want to keep using a blade to the point of its useful life, but I am inexperienced and I perhaps don't know what to look for.

It isn't really that simple. MIT did a study, aware that the steel of the razor blade is fifty times stronger than facial hair.

The problem is that modern razor blades are both thinner and sharper than vintage blades.

The advantage is that they cut better but do not last as long as older blades did.

This is why, many individuals bin a blade after only a few shaves. But not for the obvious reason of becoming dull.

Razor blades will vibrate and develop micro-fracturers along the crystalline structure of the metal.

These micro-fracturers will develop into tiny cracks that erode and destroy the edge of the blade. Your blade may still remain razor sharp but the edge is now uneven.

This may ir may not result in tugging. What it will do is to remove the smooth edge of the blade and replace it with an edge that is jagged.

This will tear up the surface of your skin. It will leave it raw and sore. This is what we call razor burn!

You may even have a tendency to press the razor even harder against your face? Never do this!

Suggest staying with a week. During the 2nd half of 2022, I shaved with many different blades, changing to another blade every day. I did eight shaves on each blade.

Overall, you are not likely to get but a few more shaves that your are getting at present. Better off to maintain the quality of your shaves!

It isn't really that simple. MIT did a study, aware that the steel of the razor blade is fifty times stronger than facial hair.

The problem is that modern razor blades are both thinner and sharper than vintage blades.

The advantage is that they cut better but do not last as long as older blades did.

This is why, many individuals bin a blade after only a few shaves. But not for the obvious reason of becoming dull.

Razor blades will vibrate and develop micro-fracturers along the crystalline structure of the metal.

These micro-fracturers will develop into tiny cracks that erode and destroy the edge of the blade. Your blade may still remain razor sharp but the edge is now uneven.

This may ir may not result in tugging. What it will do is to remove the smooth edge of the blade and replace it with an edge that is jagged.

This will tear up the surface of your skin. It will leave it raw and sore. This is what we call razor burn!
As chance would have it, I've been teaching myself how to sharpen knives using the newer diamond-surfaced plates, so your post resonates a lot with me. Thanks!

As chance would have it, I've been teaching myself how to sharpen knives using the newer diamond-surfaced plates, so your post resonates a lot with me. Thanks!

I do cooking professionally. Though I am officially retired, I like to keep active at my age.

I also use a diamond stone to keep my knives sharp, along with a steel. I have kitchen knives that I put on the stone weekly.

I have folding knives that I also sharpen with the diamond stone.

I'm not sure if you wondered across it yet, but there is a nice thread here on knives?

What is your EDC knife?

Check it out when you have time...

Top Bottom