What's new

Treet Platinum

I have around 600 or so. I got a pretty good deal on them back when they went on sale for $.07CAD a blade. They're in regular rotation.

I have around 600 or so. I got a pretty good deal on them back when they went on sale for $.07CAD a blade. They're in regular rotation.

It is one of the smoother razor blades I have. If I were a one and done guy, Treet Platinums would be in serious contention for me as my mainstay.

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
Not a big fan of the Treet Platinum, I found the 7 Days and Carbons to be better blades but Treet will never make it onto my list of favourite manufacturers

after applying some Barbasol cream

and didn't take long at all since all I did was shave with the grain one time. I am totally impressed with how smooth my face feels compared to the generic twin blade razors I was using.

A suggestion. Barbasol and other canned foam products are just OK. They mostly sit on top of your skin. Shaving soaps have a high percentage of fats, typically around 45%, either animal or vegetable fat. This sticks to your skin and provides a high degree of lubrication to the surface of your skin. Foam foes not.

Back in the early 70's when Gillette introduced the Trac II razor and twin blade cartridges, people were used to DE razors and shaving soaps.

When it came to shaving with the twin cartridges, foam was not a good substitute for shaving soaps.

However, there were two problems when using soaps with cartridges. First, the thick fats would quickly clog the blades. Second, as fats are not water soluble, they do not rinse away under running water.

Edge shaving gel came along and solved these problems. The gel made the expected lather. But unlike lather, it put down thin lubrication on your skin.

This lubrication made your skin slippery and it attached to your skin, providing both lubrication and protection. But, being thinner than the fats in shaving soaps, it did not as easily clog up the twin blades of the razor.

Importantly, the lubrication in gel is water soluble. Meaning, you can rinse your razor under running tap water to clear out the residual as you shave!

In the TV commercials, they show someone dispensing the gel into their hands, then rubbing it to form the lather. This is great if you intend to shave your hands, as that is where most of the lather ends up!

I wet my face first thing in the morning. While I am making coffee and other things, I continue to splash water on my face. Over the course of a few minutes, the water gets absorbed.

When I am ready to shave, it thoroughly re-wet my face. With wet hands, I place a dab of gel on the ends of my first two fingers. I dab it around my face in spots. I then work it all over my face, making sure the thick gel is evenly distributed. Rubbing it more will produce the lather.

It us only necessary to have a thin coating of lather. Making a "Santa Clause" beard is both unnecessary and is a waste of money.

I then shave the lather off, using one pass. I have never shaved using multiple passes in my life. For me, this is totally unnecessary if you do one good pass.

I then rinse the excess lather away.

However, this is where the benefit of gel comes in. Unlike canned foam, which is now completely gone, the gel has now left a completely clear slick residue on the surface of your skin. This residue likes water. Water makes it even more slippery.

No matter what razor/blade you use, some of the hairs are not going to cut perfectly. This is where a clean-up pass comes in.

I gently place the razor against one cheek and shave lightly in an "X" pattern, taking about 2-3 seconds. I repeat on the other side. Then I shave laterally across my neck area. In all this only takes about 20-30 seconds. Being that the lather itself is gone abd your face is clear, you can precisely touch up around your facial hair without disturbing it.

Then you rinse off any of the remaining slickness. You will find that you are left with an even smoother face after a closer shave.

As long as your face remains slick and wet, and your blade is without damage, I don’t feel that running the razor over your face multiple times, provides any irritation.

I completely avoid razor burn, 100% of the time!

This was very informative and interesting. Thanks for taking the time to write it out!

As a comment, I never used a Treet blade before last year. However, I found my experience quite enjoyable. Overall Treets are good quality blades. I successfully shaved with the Platinum during week #38 of last year.

My overall evaluation of the nine Treet blades I used last year was that these were the best of the bunch.

Week 52: Blade is the Treet 7-Days Platinum.

proxy.php

I finished up the final shave with one of my TTO razors. This was a particularly excellent shave! Very much so.

In fact, it might be the best final shave I have ever had this or any week shaving with a DE blade.

Amazon is offering the 7-Days blade for $8.99 per-hundred. The photo is showing one bonus blade in each package?

Hard to believe how close it shaved while remaining completely smooth and irritation free. One of those rare perfect shaves.

Before this year, I have never had the opportunity to sample a Treet blade. I have to say, other than my completely negative experience with the carbon steel "Black Beauty", all experiences have been overwhelming positive. I have shaved with nine Treet DE blades this year. That is close to a 1/5 of all shaves.

I take this opportunity to induct two Treet blades into my all time favorite top tier!

proxy.php

These will be the Treet King and the 7-Days I used the King during week #29. Amazon is offering the King for only $7.99/hundred.

Both of these blades represent an extraordinary value in these days of inflationary prices. With the prices of PPI blades skyrocketing and the availability ever diminishing, finding alternatives is of paramount importance in this economy.

If I had to pick one favorite DE blade, it would likely be the Gillette 7-O'clock Super Platinum blades, made in India. These have gone up in price, doubling in the past couple of years. They are now selling for $34/hundred. This is extremely expensive for a blade that is manufactured in India, where the other blades are typically $19 or less per-hundred.

Can't complain, at least they are excellent blades! For $8/hundred, the Treet Kings are by far one of the best blades on the market at this price point. They compare very favorably to the 7-O'clock Platinums. I would also add the Treet 7-Days to this!

Read a reference on another forum where someone said Treet Platinum(s) when tested didn't contain any platinum at all. He theorized the "Platinum" might refer to a level of quality or finish instead. Very interesting if true and it wasn't just a bad batch that missed the finishing at the factory for some reason.

I find Treet Platinum smooth myself, so I'm a bit surprised to hear they may not have the coating.

I find Treet Platinum smooth myself, so I'm a bit surprised to hear they may not have the coating.

If they say "Platinum" they do contain Platinum or one of the Platinum group metals, but usually Platinum.

The blade it self is stainless steel. The Platinum is a few atoms that are deposited on the surface. This is enough to increase the hardness and decrease the resistance of the blade. Usually this results in a smoother shave.

As a comment, I never used a Treet blade before last year. However, I found my experience quite enjoyable. Overall Treets are good quality blades. I successfully shaved with the Platinum during week #38 of last year.

My overall evaluation of the nine Treet blades I used last year was that these were the best of the bunch.

Week 52: Blade is the Treet 7-Days Platinum.

proxy.php

I finished up the final shave with one of my TTO razors. This was a particularly excellent shave! Very much so.

In fact, it might be the best final shave I have ever had this or any week shaving with a DE blade.

Amazon is offering the 7-Days blade for $8.99 per-hundred. The photo is showing one bonus blade in each package?

Hard to believe how close it shaved while remaining completely smooth and irritation free. One of those rare perfect shaves.

Before this year, I have never had the opportunity to sample a Treet blade. I have to say, other than my completely negative experience with the carbon steel "Black Beauty", all experiences have been overwhelming positive. I have shaved with nine Treet DE blades this year. That is close to a 1/5 of all shaves.

I take this opportunity to induct two Treet blades into my all time favorite top tier!

proxy.php

These will be the Treet King and the 7-Days I used the King during week #29. Amazon is offering the King for only $7.99/hundred.

Both of these blades represent an extraordinary value in these days of inflationary prices. With the prices of PPI blades skyrocketing and the availability ever diminishing, finding alternatives is of paramount importance in this economy.

If I had to pick one favorite DE blade, it would likely be the Gillette 7-O'clock Super Platinum blades, made in India. These have gone up in price, doubling in the past couple of years. They are now selling for $34/hundred. This is extremely expensive for a blade that is manufactured in India, where the other blades are typically $19 or less per-hundred.

Can't complain, at least they are excellent blades! For $8/hundred, the Treet Kings are by far one of the best blades on the market at this price point. They compare very favorably to the 7-O'clock Platinums. I would also add the Treet 7-Days to this!
I won 101 Treet blades from @Eric_75 and have found them to be quite good overall. I've tried the Falcon, the King, the Platinum, the Classic and the Carbon Steel. All have delivered pretty well for me. Not up there with Gillette Nacet/Perma-Sharp/7 O'clock Sharp Edge/Astra SP territory but right behind 'em. And a great bargain.

Not up there with Gillette Nacet/Perma-Sharp/7 O'clock Sharp Edge/Astra SP territory but right behind 'em. And a great bargain.

Overall, I find the Gillette's from the PPI factory and from India to be mostly top tier.

The Nacet's and the Perma-Sharp's are brothers. Maybe BIC SP then the Nacet's and the Perma-Sharp's would follow behind the Feather's.

I just tried the SharpEdge Yellow's for the first time and was very impressed. Would put them up there as well.

Still, I remain very impressed with the King's and the 7-Days! For their under $10 price tag, they are very hard to beat! I find their shaves to be excellent.

Overall, I rate the Treet blades to be after the Gillette products. Similar to the Super-Max blades. To me, the White Star is a great blade but overall, the Lord blades seem to be a slight step down. Not bad blades but more like very average.

If they say "Platinum" they do contain Platinum or one of the Platinum group metals, but usually Platinum.

The blade it self is stainless steel. The Platinum is a few atoms that are deposited on the surface. This is enough to increase the hardness and decrease the resistance of the blade. Usually this results in a smoother shave.

Well, a gold or platinum credit card is only plastic. It could be all marketing

Read a reference on another forum where someone said Treet Platinum(s) when tested didn't contain any platinum at all. He theorized the "Platinum" might refer to a level of quality or finish instead. Very interesting if true and it wasn't just a bad batch that missed the finishing at the factory for some reason.

I asked one of my AIs, it responded:

Treet Platinum razor blades are coated with a mixture of three materials:

• PTFE (Polytetrafluoroethylene), also known as Teflon: This acts as a lubricant, reducing friction between the blade and your skin for a smoother shave.
  • Platinum: This helps to strengthen the blade edge and prevent it from dulling quickly.
  • Chromium: This also contributes to the blade's durability and corrosion resistance.

The combination of these three coatings is designed to provide a sharp, smooth, and long-lasting shave.

It's important to note that some sources may only mention platinum and chromium in the coating, while others include all three materials. This could be due to variations in the manufacturing process or simply different marketing materials.

However, all sources agree that Treet Platinum blades are coated with at least platinum and chromium, and many agree that they also include PTFE.

I hope this information is helpful! Let me know if you have any other questions.

Well, a gold or platinum credit card is only plastic. It could be all marketing

It's pretty much accepted that if they use the term "Platinum" with a razor blade, that the blade has been PVD coated with Platinum.

I understand the marketing analogy. Terms like "Titanium" are well over used in marketing and generally do not indicate that there is any actual Titanium associated with the product.

Similarly, I doubt if you will find more than a few random atoms (if any) in a blade branded "Super Iridium".

Top Bottom