What's new

What is uncomfortable DURING a shave?

Newbie to wet-shaving here and I don't have thick or coarse facial hair, so I am not a one-and-done guy. I have had 8 perfectly fine shaves on a single Treet Platinum. That said, I don't want to keep using a blade to the point of its useful life, but I am inexperienced and I perhaps don't know what to look for.

What are some of the things that make you ditch a blade right away in the middle of a shave? Hair tugging is probably one reason (haven't had it happen to me yet). Anytime I have cut myself I attribute to myself making a mistake rather than blaming the blade or razor.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Newbie to wet-shaving here and I don't have thick or coarse facial hair, so I am not a one-and-done guy. I have had 8 perfectly fine shaves on a single Treet Platinum. That said, I don't want to keep using a blade to the point of its useful life, but I am inexperienced and I perhaps don't know what to look for.

What are some of the things that make you ditch a blade right away in the middle of a shave? Hair tugging is probably one reason (haven't had it happen to me yet). Anytime I have cut myself I attribute to myself making a mistake rather than blaming the blade or razor.
I think that is a great question. I have old man, coarse whiskers that seem to dull blades quickly. For me, the answer is in your question. When the shave isn’t comfortable, I know something is going on. I’ve only been on the journey for a couple months less than 2 years. I still have to pause and check to see if I’m doing something wrong or did I change something without noticing.

If everything checks out and I’m familiar with the blade, I can be pretty sure that is the problem. I’ve changed a few blades mid shave and replaced it with another one of the same. So far, every time, I’ve been back to the comfort zone.

You’ll see it mentioned in some many posts: your mileage may vary: YMMV

It won’t be long and you’ll be able to find your own way easily.

If your beard is not too thick and coarse, you will be probably get more shaves per blade than average. Some people get a lot more shaves than others.

When it is time to change blades, you will probably feel a gradual degradation in sharpness. It may take an additional pass to get as close a shave as you want. You may notice some tugging or post-shave discomfort. Most blades are pretty inexpensive, so you will probably develop a schedule to change blades before they start going downhill, based on your previous experience.

Great advice above. Tugging, uncomfortable, not as sharp, & irritation are all signs of the blade degrading. As your technique improves, you will become more aware of the nuances of your blade. The Treet Platinum is a very good blade. Enjoy your shaves!

So, my Treet Platinum has 9 shaves on it now, and unless I am imagining it, the sound of the blade gliding across my face seems to be louder like it is producing greater friction and resistance. Seems to be a consequence of the razor blade dulling. My one pass WTG shave doesn't seem to be smooth as with the first shaves with this blade as I can feel the slightest hint of stubble with my fingers on my face. Still doesn't seem to be "umcomfortable" though.

So, my Treet Platinum has 9 shaves on it now, and unless I am imagining it, the sound of the blade gliding across my face seems to be louder like it is producing greater friction and resistance. Seems to be a consequence of the razor blade dulling. My one pass WTG shave doesn't seem to be smooth as with the first shaves with this blade as I can feel the slightest hint of stubble with my fingers on my face. Still doesn't seem to be "umcomfortable" though.
It's a very subjective thing, deciding when a blade should be changed, so if you're happy with the shaves you're getting, and how your face is feeling, say, an hour after having shaved, I'd say you're good to go with your current blade. That being said, what you are describing is, to me anyway, the Swan Song of a dulling blade. That Treet Plat' cost you, what, six or eight cents? If it were mine, I would have tossed it out after three shaves... but that's me. There's really no right/wrong answer when it comes to blade longevity; if you're feeling good after your shave, your blade is sharp enough for you, and that's all that really matters.

Last edited:

I would say at 9 shaves that blade doesn't owe you anything. Many of us would have swapped it out a long time ago. You might be a member of the Excalibur club who can push blades for weeks, but if you aren't happy with the result, it's not like you are missing out on much. I imagine 9 shaves on a Treet equates to +/- $0.01 per shave!

I would say at 9 shaves that blade doesn't owe you anything. Many of us would have swapped it out a long time ago. You might be a member of the Excalibur club who can push blades for weeks, but if you aren't happy with the result, it's not like you are missing out on much. I imagine 9 shaves on a Treet equates to +/- $0.01 per shave!
It is not that I am happy or unhappy - just learning about blade behavior and wet-shaving in general as a newbie. It is useful to hear what other people think about my perception of the blade cutting getting louder. In tennis for example, if you have a crack in your racquet, the frame will produce more vibration and the sound of the ball coming off the strings will be loud and discordant.

But no doubt, wet shaving is a relatively cheap endeavor. For me, reusing blades isn't necessarily about the cost, it's more about getting the most use I can out of something before I send it to a landfill.

Last edited:
I think 9 shave on one blade could be blade is past service life.

How did blade work on first three shaves?

Me personally I dump blade after 3 shaved.
Very flawlessly in my opinion. This ninth shave is the first time I have noticed the loudness and possibly lower performance. I'll use the blade a few more times to solidify my thoughts and then repeat the process with another Treet Platinum soon.

weepers, small bleeding spots/dots: in my case I attribute those when the blade probably has a chipped edge. And after using blades many times, you will predict uses you can have without those effects.....(brand dependent)
If you get a rough shave......stop and just put a new blade.....no reason to suffer....

The above answers have pretty much addressed your question but I will add:

I get 5-6 three-pass shaves from any blade I use - that is my target. That is the equivalent to 15-18 of your single-pass shaves.

I would expect your blade to shave fine on shave 8, 9, and 10, but everyone is different. We have a lot of "one-and-done" guys here.

It is not that I am happy or unhappy - just learning about blade behavior and wet-shaving in general as a newbie.

Okay - I thought the fact the shave wasn't as close now equated to an unsatisfactory experience. If you are still okay with it - shave on!

Personally, I can't really use Treets at all, but different people can have wildly different experiences of the same blade depending on their beard and skin. When it starts to get truly bad, you probably won't need to ask us, you will know!

People pointing and laughing. :001_rolle

Top Bottom