What's new

what is the hype with Williams?

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Holy Crap!! We haven't even finished trashing the last Williams thread and now there's a new one? There really needs to be a one week time delay before starting a new Williams thread. I mean, afterall we have to have time to dry out our powder and reload. :lol:

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Oh... and, Hi Russ, welcome to B&B.

Williams threads are usually laced with a lot of sillyness, don't let it bother you.

I will gladly join in the war effort....I LOVE WILLIAMS !!!!!!!

It lathers EASILY and smells GREAT!!!!

wow...I feel much better!

I gave my Williams puck another shot today, just to be sure. The lather came out easily, but it was...strange. Kind of thin, I'd almost go as far as to describe it as 'sudsy'. Adding more or less water only seemed to increase the volume of the lather, but not it's consistency. Adding some glycerin would probably thicken it up into a nice lather, but eh...why bother?

Not crazy about the smell either. Kinda like car wash soap.

well that was entertaining, particularly the part about kicking the dog. given the information, I'm sure that I used "new" williams years ago. My experience was not very satisfying although I didn't have a great brush and I didn't have great technique I'm sure. I am enjoying MWF, Coates cream and Proasco soap now that I'm back in. I like them all. One of these days I'll have to find a vintage Williams and a vintage Old Spice. it is unclear to me why Williams changed its formula when so many people liked the old one and seem to like the new formula less or not at all. thanks for the info.

I decided to use my part of a modern Williams puck for a hand soap. It feels smooth using it in that way, it actually make a great hand soap. For shaving, though -- not that great.

Could you just add a few drops of glycerin to it and have an enjoyable soap again?

Back when I still was playing with Williams I found it lathered pretty well with glycerin added (I was inspired by reports of Blue Willy (Williams + Aqua Velva) lathering better than straight Williams). I've got a puck or two with that treatment still kicking around, and though I don't shave with them, I use them to wash and break in brushes and it lathers excellently.

Back when I still was playing with Williams I found it lathered pretty well with glycerin added (I was inspired by reports of Blue Willy (Williams + Aqua Velva) lathering better than straight Williams). I've got a puck or two with that treatment still kicking around, and though I don't shave with them, I use them to wash and break in brushes and it lathers excellently.

Blue Willy? Do tell how one can produce this shaving ambrosia!

OldSaw

The wife's investment

Blue Willy? Do tell how one can produce this shaving ambrosia!

Is it like a Lime Ricky?

That is so wrong....

It's a brand new Ford vs. broken down Yugo thing. And Williams is even worse than a broken down Yugo.

Haha, I was just comparing Williams to Yugos in the other thread just above (or below?) this one.

Williams isn't that bad. I prefer it over VDH. Give it a whirl, it's only a buck. Imagine how much money you'll save if you love it! :lol:

Haha, I don't think anything lathers more easily than Arko. But I can't STAND the smell! If you leave a stick of it unwrapped for a couple-six months, it starts to smell better. Why couldn't Williams and Arko switch scents? Then I could hate Williams like all the cool kids ;)

Last edited:
I like the Williams just fine. It takes a little more water and a stiffer brush than some pucks to get going, but I've had plenty of damn fine (DAMN FINE I SAY!) shaves with it. It's also slicker than a lot of the pucks out there... so while the lather may not be sooper-purdy and all GQ lookin', the blade glides across your face like Chazz Michael Michaels.

Top Bottom