What's new

what is the hype with Williams?

I've wet shaved on and off for years. used a brush and soap years ago but stopped and then came back to this when I picked up DE shaving again. I used Williams soap years ago. It was "ok" and I figure that my lathering technique probably needed some work back then. I haven't tried it since and have been using MWF and Coates. I see the comments here and there about Williams. comments about the old bars, new bars and comments about whether is lathers or not. Instead of going out and buying a puck of Williams to try all over again I thought I'd ask what it is about Williams that people hate or love that gets it so many curious comments.

From what I understand, there are older Williams pucks, like from the 60's and earlier, that can be found on ebay. These early pucks have a slightly different name on them (DW Williams, or something like that. Someone else can fill you in) and are usually considered to be good shaving soaps. I've never tried one personally though.

The more common Williams pucks which can be picked up pretty much at any grocery store for a dollar or two, are generally considered to be pretty bad. Some people love them though, so to each his own. I tried one once and I thought it was not very good and produced only a thin lather after a lot of working. But the guys who like it say they can get a good lather out of it easily, so I dunno. Maybe it's just very sensitive to hard water or something.

Anyway, that's 'the deal' with Williams, as far as I can tell. Hope that helps.

Vintage Williams is great. Modern Williams is good but not as good as the older versions. I use both often - and I like them a lot.

Instead of going out and buying a puck of Williams to try all over again I thought I'd ask what it is about Williams that people hate or love that gets it so many curious comments.

It's a Chevy vs Ford kind of thing, in that the discussion is more about the poster sticking to his guns and refuting the extreme views of the the detractors and fanboys than bringing to light anything new.

It's probably the product most generally found in US stores, so there is enough contact with it where almost anybody can chime in.

Guys like me pop in and say they can get good service out of it, other guys will pop in and say it sucks.

The honest truth, IMHO, is that it's a capable, but not great soap that does much better with soft water and there is a knack to getting a lather that doesn't disappear quickly. It's worth a shot, and if you don't like it, there are plenty of other fish in the ocean.

The continued argument has become about ninety percent theater, and as to whether or not it's good theater, YMMV.

Oh, and by the way, I've heard that guys who can't lather Williams kick their dogs and don't replace the TP when they've used the last of the roll....:001_rolle

You had to go and kick over the hornet's nest didn't you?

The Williams love/hate runs deep. Those who get it to lather laugh in the face of those who don't. It's cheap, either you like the smell or not and it lasts for a good long time (if you can resist throwing it out).

I can get it to lather, but I don't use it because there are better soaps out there.

For the price, I'd give it a try. You won't feel so bad when you throw it in the garbage.

I've wet shaved on and off for years. used a brush and soap years ago but stopped and then came back to this when I picked up DE shaving again. I used Williams soap years ago. It was "ok" and I figure that my lathering technique probably needed some work back then. I haven't tried it since and have been using MWF and Coates. I see the comments here and there about Williams. comments about the old bars, new bars and comments about whether is lathers or not. Instead of going out and buying a puck of Williams to try all over again I thought I'd ask what it is about Williams that people hate or love that gets it so many curious comments.

What people love or hate and not much in between as In understand correctly is:

1. The scent; some like it, some don't
2. The latherability; some get it to lather, some don't
3. The reformulation; people don't like it (did I miss the proverbial proponent?)
4. The price; rich people love low prices
5. The image; some people have no problem with it, others love some good old W-bashing

The Williams threads are good fun to read though

Last edited:
It is a lathermeister vs. apprentice thing. In general the youngsters become very loud when they don't succeed and will blame anything but themselves...:001_rolle

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Modern williams suffers quite a bit from having all the glycerin sucked out of it.
Ian:
I'll give it another go, but using this method;

Williams + Glycerin = (hopefully), Uberlather.
proxy.php

Christopher
proxy.php

It is a lathermeister vs. apprentice thing. In general the youngsters become very loud when they don't succeed and will blame anything but themselves...:001_rolle

+100!!!!!

I found my shave somewhat ok. I did have to work for a lather. I soaked the puck and my brush in hot water while I took a shower. Did I have to reapply lather more than usual..?? yes..
I've been shaving for 8 days straight with Williams....
Remember we are dealing with a puck for a $1.50..

Its the same thing when someone compares a cheap light beer to a high powered, expensive micro brew.. You can't compare them... One is made in masses, and the other is brewed in smaller batches with better ingredients and some times better quality control... Are they worth the price?? Sometimes yes and sometimes no,,, you find the product not worth the extra money.

When comparing Williams to VDH soap, both products are for the most part equal. Miller Lite and Bud Light.... Some like'em and some don't.:001_rolle

I do like reading Williams and VDH threads... Some posts are funny to read..

I want to have a turn as well lol.
Vintage williams lathers like carzy, very nice thick lather.
Modern williams lathers but nowhere near the same quality as the vintage stuff. It is useable but for the 1.99 I would toss in a few more dollars and get palmolive stick

You need to soak the punk and be blessed with soft water to use modern Williams the pre 1980 ones a good and pre 1960 are great!

Top Bottom