What's new

what is the hype with Williams?

That is so wrong....

It's a brand new Ford vs. broken down Yugo thing. And Williams is even worse than a broken down Yugo.

Don't know how you can say that when so many others love it....maby you dont know how to use it properly? It is quite a great soap that stays in my rotation and gives a clean, fresh shave every time :)...I would try it again and reccomend anyone else to who is wondering about it :)...
Shayne.

Don't know how you can say that when so many others love it....maby you dont know how to use it properly? It is quite a great soap that stays in my rotation and gives a clean, fresh shave every time :)...I would try it again and reccomend anyone else to who is wondering about it :)...
Shayne.

So many others love it?

McDonalds has served up 10 billion hamburgers to happy customers, that in no way reflects on the quality of the product, but rather the tastes of the consumer....
:tongue_sm

OldSaw

The wife's investment
So many others love it?

McDonalds has served up 10 billion hamburgers to happy customers, that in no way reflects on the quality of the product, but rather the tastes of the consumer....
:tongue_sm

I gotta remember this one. I am sitting at a McD's right now eating one of their economically priced burgers.

I wouldn't necessarily berate the taste of the consumer. Sometimes it's just the price that is attractive and it wards off my hunger for a while. I would much rather have a Red Robbin burger as it is much higher quality and far tastier, BUT there isn't one nearby with truck parking AND it is much more expensive.

So if you go into Williams with that attitude I guess you won't be disappointed. It clearly is NOT in league with soaps like AOS. Will this stop me from jumping on the Williams bashing band wagon? :lol::lol: Not likely. It's way too much fun.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
:lol: at this thread.

Stick around and you will find that it is a very popular theme. It's all in good fun and would be rather boring if we all thought the same. I don't think anyone believes that they will change their opposition's mind, we just have fun trying to come up with new arguments.

Shayne.

I can say that, even when so many others love it, because I am not a sheep. I think after almost 15 years of using a brush I can lather up virtually anything, including Williams.

To see my very honest Williams reviews, see this: Very Honest Williams Review If you read my review you'll see that I used it, and it performed it's function without any Fahrvergnügen. I like soaps with Fahrvergnügen. So should you. :001_smile

And I think you may be the ONLY person to ever say Williams is GREAT in the history of the world. Seriously.... I don't look all that hard, so I may be wrong, but most Williams non-haters don't say the soap is GREAT. They don't. :thumbdown

I'm at the store now.
93 cents of bad soap
Bad shave here I come

This haiku brought to you by the Williams Amalgamated Soap Company

OldSaw

The wife's investment
I can say that, even when so many others love it, because I am not a sheep. I think after almost 15 years of using a brush I can lather up virtually anything, including Williams.

To see my very honest Williams reviews, see this: Very Honest Williams Review If you read my review you'll see that I used it, and it performed it's function without any Fahrvergnügen. I like soaps with Fahrvergnügen. So should you. :001_smile

And I think you may be the ONLY person to ever say Williams is GREAT in the history of the world. Seriously.... I don't look all that hard, so I may be wrong, but most Williams non-haters don't say the soap is GREAT. They don't. :thumbdown

I'm at the store now.
93 cents of bad soap
Bad shave here I come

This haiku brought to you by the Williams Amalgamated Soap Company

:lol::lol::lol:

Blue willy was a nickname someone gave to the combination of a puck of
Williams with few splashes of aqua velva aftershave on top (or mixed in after grating the puck or whatever). I think it was thought up about a year ago.

The truth is that Williams isn't as bad as some people's experience suggests. If memory serves, it makes passable lather on its own. I can lather it as well as Yardley after adding a few cents in glycerin to it. One sells for $1. One sells for $100. Which do I think is the better purchase? Take a guess.

You can screw up the lather on a lot of soaps by making mistakes you might not even know you're making. Williams just happens to have a very large "making a mistake" region, and not so large a "happy lather time" region. The Glycerin seems to shift the ratio back to something most people can manage.

Last edited:
The truth is that Williams isn't as bad as some people's experience suggests. .

The real truth is that NOTHING is as bad as some people suggest. The only exception are most farmer's markets/artisan soaps made by soap makers who haven't got a clue how to make shaving soap.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Blue willy was a nickname someone gave to the combination of a puck of
Williams with few splashes of aqua velva aftershave on top (or mixed in after grating the puck or whatever). I think it was thought up about a year ago.

The truth is that Williams isn't as bad as some people's experience suggests. If memory serves, it makes passable lather on its own. I can lather it as well as Yardley after adding a few cents in glycerin to it. One sells for $1. One sells for $100. Which do I think is the better purchase? Take a guess.

You can screw up the lather on a lot of soaps by making mistakes you might not even know you're making. Williams just happens to have a very large "making a mistake" region, and not so large a "happy lather time" region. The Glycerin seems to shift the ratio back to something most people can manage.

This is very true... it's usually much worse. :lol:

my experience with Williams has been all with the new pucks. I don't like the size. they're too small. the smell reminds me of bar soap when I was growing up. I don't know what the original formumla had that this one doesn't. If someone knows what is missing from the old forumula, I'd be interested in knowing.

Not many people are shaving as cheaply as I am. I haven't tried Yardley or T&H or any of the "luxury" soaps. I'm shaving with $0.10 Dorco ST-300 blades & Williams soap with a VDH boar brush and finishing off w/ AV or Barbasol A/S. After so many years of bad results and now getting GREAT results these last few years I don't want to tamper with success. And I definitely don't want to spend $5 or $10 or $20 on a puck of soap when Williams works so well for me. I understand some of the comments about the old Williams formula and some of the other now discontinued brands like Old Spice & Colgate soaps being vastly superior and that may be so but I am not looking for anything more than what I have right now. It really works for me. I hope you can get it to perform as well also, all of you who dare to take the Williams challenge and see if you can't make a mug for your mug!
Says I.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Not many people are shaving as cheaply as I am. I haven't tried Yardley or T&H or any of the "luxury" soaps. I'm shaving with $0.10 Dorco ST-300 blades & Williams soap with a VDH boar brush and finishing off w/ AV or Barbasol A/S. After so many years of bad results and now getting GREAT results these last few years I don't want to tamper with success. And I definitely don't want to spend $5 or $10 or $20 on a puck of soap when Williams works so well for me. I understand some of the comments about the old Williams formula and some of the other now discontinued brands like Old Spice & Colgate soaps being vastly superior and that may be so but I am not looking for anything more than what I have right now. It really works for me. I hope you can get it to perform as well also, all of you who dare to take the Williams challenge and see if you can't make a mug for your mug!
Says I.

Spend the $15 and get a puck of DR Harris (pick your flavor, I like Arlington). You will not be disappointed. The lather is 3 times better with half the work.

Spend the $15 and get a puck of DR Harris (pick your flavor, I like Arlington). You will not be disappointed. The lather is 3 times better with half the work.

I've got a buddy who uses a DE. Never really gave up on them. He uses one razor, (Gillette Super Adjustable) and one brush. Always the same blade, vanilla Personna. He always uses Williams.

He gets great results. I've tried to infect him with the AD's by gifting him soaps, creams and blades. He thinks Arko is great for travelling, but at home he uses Williams.

I asked him why, and the answer I've gotten is a simple shrug and a "I'm happy with what I've got, why change?"

I've yet to come up with an effective counter to that.

I asked him why, and the answer I've gotten is a simple shrug and a "I'm happy with what I've got, why change?"

I've yet to come up with an effective counter to that.

Not only is it hard to counter, but he's right IMHO.

As a newbie I've tried just a few soaps and creams, and frankly I wonder why all the fuss?

Once one figures out how to use them, they all work, at least they have for me. On the inexpensive end, Williams, on the highest end that I've tried so far, Trumpers. They all work. The scents are completely different, but they all do the job, if used correctly. And I'm using an elCheapo VDH kit boar brush. In fact none of my shave gear is artwork, it's all just functional and none is expensive.

I sometimes wonder if folks aren't just making things too difficult by thinking too much about it and trying to throw money at something in the hopes that that approach will work rather than just understanding how "soap" works? It's really pretty basic IMO. Scent, OK, that's more personal and I think that's where the increased $ is with some of these products, but the soap washes off, even Williams and then you're left with no scent but that which is applied after the shave.

Top Bottom