What's new

What is Cushion?

Although Johan explains it well….

I’m still perplexed. Does “cushion” exist? Is it simply “thickness” of a lather?

Is cushion a dream chase of the ultimate shave - close yet non-irritating?

Some have said cushion is a myth. Others swear they hold it in their hand. Let’s put an end to this once and for all!

Does cushion exist?

Density. But I don’t think it translates to “cushion” and I don’t think I’d use that word.

Does it change the shave feel compared to a thin watery lather? Yes, of course. But I don’t see it as “cushion”.

So does cushion exist? I don’t know, but density does.

Density. But I don’t think it translates to “cushion” and I don’t think I’d use that word.

Does it change the shave feel compared to a thin watery lather? Yes, of course. But I don’t see it as “cushion”.

So does cushion exist? I don’t know, but density does.
Density. Yes that’s what I keep coming back to as well.

I have no idea, what I want from lather is slick, slick, slick. Blade has to touch the skin to cut the hair close. Last thing I want is the blade floating on dense lather...

The lather in the vid is much denser that I would use, but I love the cushion!.
Johan is the lather master

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Cushion is a very specific lather ruining property, which mutes awareness of what's happening with the sharpened piece of hardened steel traversing across your face. It's purpose is to lure gullible shavers into buying more stuff.

To produce effective cushion in your lather, you have to use far more soap than is needed for a good shave, and beat far too much air into it, using a superfluous shave bowl, and ideally, an overly large brush. This greedily rich and highly aerated garbage, should then be trowelled onto the face at an excessive depth. It's rumoured that any surplus lather can actually be used as cavity wall insulation.

If generated correctly, the cushion renders tactile feedback through the razor to its lowest practical level, to give the razor operator an illusion of smooth performance. All the while, the now disguised shave dynamics are lulling the poor misguided soul into thinking they need more aggressive razors, preparatory substances and rituals, and a myriad of other purchases, to get a close shave, and overcome the ensuing calamities, suffered from shaving through eye wateringly smelly cake icing.

The inability to feel what's happening on the face, allows the shaver to destroy his blades quicker, by disguising poor angle, incorrect cutting height, and inappropriate pressure. Even if used at the correct height and pressure, the lower lubrication inherent in the lather, can make still sharp blades seem dull, so the shaver still swaps the blade sooner and buys more.

The grossly excessive density also needs more pressure on the razor to get the blade to skin level than the well hydrated, thin and slick layer of supreme slickness, that is necessary for shaves that are actually any good. This allows heavy handed oafs a smaller transition in pressure reduction from the ham fisted application of a cartridge razor, compared with the transition to a featherlight kiss that a skilled traditional shaver would utilise, on proper thin and slick lather. The quick transition to an illusion of competence, creates a gateway for the instant gratification crowd, by hiding the fact that there is actually a skill to be learned in order to shave well.

All the above specifics, cement the idea that the hapless numpty driving the face plow, is not the one at fault for injuries caused. The idea that it's a coarse beard and highly sensitive skin that are leading to bits of their face to fall into the sink, can therefore be enjoyed in blissful ignorance. Of course that false pretence also justifies yet more spending for the all problems "not of their causing" to be mitigated. As such, the sales of balms, alum, styptic pencils, sutures and superglue are also increased by this wonderfully multi-facetted marketting gimmickery.

Therefore the "cushion deception" has thus fuelled the credit card owner to fund more razors, bigger brushes, more blades, porcelain items designed to be dropped from wet soapy fingers onto tiled floors, and a myriad of ancillary lotions, potions, and blood clotting pharmaceuticals. This is the engine which keeps many dozens of people around the world in gainful employment at traditional shaving suppliers, potteries, and kitchen sink soap makers. Additional economic benefits can be had in the locality of inept shavers, through plumbers clearing out pipes clogged up with superfatted soaps, and plastic surgeons sewing lips back on.

The rewards for the shaver, to offset the inordinate expense and frequent epidermal assaults, include the feeling of wearing a meringue on your face for thirty seconds before the shave, and the additional thickness and density making the lather turn pink less quickly. The latter allowing the shaver to classify arterial wounds as weepers.

As for the lather "lifting the hair", well that's just nonsense.

Lol, Aimless, you are getting as grumpy as me!

No matter how you slice it, the blade edge must slide over the skin to get a close shave. I have not used Proraso yet, so I can't say lather than thick wouldn't be slick, but my experience with other soaps is that thick lather that will hang on your face half an inch thick will leave you with sticky skin after the razor goes past, and that's not slick enough for me. I get my most comfortable shaves with lather that drips off the razor as I shave.

I've never looked for "cushion" in shaving soap, only slickness!

I'll admit it, I would reference "cushion" when talking about lather early on in my B&B days. I'm guessing I did it to fit in it sound like I knew what I was talking about.

It's been a few years, but I did finally admit to not knowing what it is and still don't know.

March 7, 2020
Cushion is one of those elusive, hard to define, even harder to measure, Shave forum buzz words.

I haven't been able to identify or tell a difference or measure it in all my time using soaps and creams for the past 10y or so, since I joined B&B.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
If anyone finds out, let me know.

Here's mine!
image.jpg

Cushion is a very specific lather ruining property, which mutes awareness of what's happening with the sharpened piece of hardened steel traversing across your face. It's purpose is to lure gullible shavers into buying more stuff.

To produce effective cushion in your lather, you have to use far more soap than is needed for a good shave, and beat far too much air into it, using a superfluous shave bowl, and ideally, an overly large brush. This greedily rich and highly aerated garbage, should then be trowelled onto the face at an excessive depth. It's rumoured that any surplus lather can actually be used as cavity wall insulation.

If generated correctly, the cushion renders tactile feedback through the razor to its lowest practical level, to give the razor operator an illusion of smooth performance. All the while, the now disguised shave dynamics are lulling the poor misguided soul into thinking they need more aggressive razors, preparatory substances and rituals, and a myriad of other purchases, to get a close shave, and overcome the ensuing calamities, suffered from shaving through eye wateringly smelly cake icing.

The inability to feel what's happening on the face, allows the shaver to destroy his blades quicker, by disguising poor angle, incorrect cutting height, and inappropriate pressure. Even if used at the correct height and pressure, the lower lubrication inherent in the lather, can make still sharp blades seem dull, so the shaver still swaps the blade sooner and buys more.

The grossly excessive density also needs more pressure on the razor to get the blade to skin level than the well hydrated, thin and slick layer of supreme slickness, that is necessary for shaves that are actually any good. This allows heavy handed oafs a smaller transition in pressure reduction from the ham fisted application of a cartridge razor, compared with the transition to a featherlight kiss that a skilled traditional shaver would utilise, on proper thin and slick lather. The quick transition to an illusion of competence, creates a gateway for the instant gratification crowd, by hiding the fact that there is actually a skill to be learned in order to shave well.

All the above specifics, cement the idea that the hapless numpty driving the face plow, is not the one at fault for injuries caused. The idea that it's a coarse beard and highly sensitive skin that are leading to bits of their face to fall into the sink, can therefore be enjoyed in blissful ignorance. Of course that false pretence also justifies yet more spending for the all problems "not of their causing" to be mitigated. As such, the sales of balms, alum, styptic pencils, sutures and superglue are also increased by this wonderfully multi-facetted marketting gimmickery.

Therefore the "cushion deception" has thus fuelled the credit card owner to fund more razors, bigger brushes, more blades, porcelain items designed to be dropped from wet soapy fingers onto tiled floors, and a myriad of ancillary lotions, potions, and blood clotting pharmaceuticals. This is the engine which keeps many dozens of people around the world in gainful employment at traditional shaving suppliers, potteries, and kitchen sink soap makers. Additional economic benefits can be had in the locality of inept shavers, through plumbers clearing out pipes clogged up with superfatted soaps, and plastic surgeons sewing lips back on.

The rewards for the shaver, to offset the inordinate expense and frequent epidermal assaults, include the feeling of wearing a meringue on your face for thirty seconds before the shave, and the additional thickness and density making the lather turn pink less quickly. The latter allowing the shaver to classify arterial wounds as weepers.

A sardonic treatise that far exceeded my expectations!
Thank you for a great chuckle (or four).

"the hapless numpty driving the face plow" :laugh::laugh:

Cushion in my mind is just a layer of lather that protects the skin from the razor blade. Does it have to be a thick layer? No it doesn’t. It can be as thick or thin as one desires

Cushion.....my pillow to sleep.
Cushion in shaving.....by definition should be something between the blade and skin. By definition, if there is something between the sharp edge of the blade and the skin, you could NOT shave skin close....
Now: glyde, you want something to facilitate the blades sliding on your skin......reduced resistance......slick

Cushion.....my pillow to sleep.
Cushion in shaving.....by definition should be something between the blade and skin. By definition, if there is something between the sharp edge of the blade and the skin, you could NOT shave skin close....
Now: glyde, you want something to facilitate the blades sliding on your skin......reduced resistance......slick
Well said.

Bravo!

You will become the Jonathan Swift of B&B if you are not careful.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
Bravo!

You will become the Jonathan Swift of B&B if you are not careful.
How about Taylor Swift? Take her song lyrics to Karma, replace Karma with Cushion. More disturbing is that this thread encouraged me to participate and look up the lyrics to Karma.

Karma Cushion is a god
Karma‘s Cushion’s a relaxing thought

Top Bottom