What's new

Book Collaboration?

I am retiring next summer and have decided my last hurrah would be a book on shaving. I want to accomplish a couple of things - bring some academic rigor (both quantitative and qualitative) to traditional wet shaving, bring context to the act (cultural, philosophical, environmental, etc.), and provide an enticing, enjoyable, approachable introduction for those clueless about our hobby. I've spent the last 6 months lurking in forums with a beginner's mind ( “In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's there are few.” - Shunryo Suzuki) and acquiring razors, blades, soaps, oils, etc., based upon others observations as well as testing and analysis equipment. I have also been researching what others have written and linking back to more traditional academic disciplines. Before taking off totally on my own, it occurred to me that the B&B community might want to participate as well (I am not looking for $ from this). Here is an early draft of an introduction (need to add in our many accouterments beyond just razor and blade, but this is a start) to see if you would be interested. Any comments (including criticism) would be very much appreciated! (Note: I use "handle" in lieu of "razor" to separate what we call the razor from what the uninitiated call a razor (razor + razor blade))

The Razor's Embrace: Where Blade Meets Being

The humble razor, glinting in the morning light, whispers a curious question: what makes it "right"? Is it mere utility, a cold efficiency in slicing hair? Or is it something more, a whispered echo of philosophy and self etched upon skin? Let's embark on a journey, exploring how Western and Eastern wisdom intertwine with the synergy of blade and handle, forging a "rightness" that transcends the mundane.

Utility and Harmony: From Stoic Pragmatism to Taoist Flow

The Stoic philosophers, with their emphasis on virtue and living in accordance with nature, would find solace in a razor's effectiveness. A clean shave, achieved with minimal fuss and maximum efficiency, reflects their belief in mastering the practicalities of life. Yet, Eastern traditions like Taoism remind us that utility lies not just in the outcome, but in the process. The effortless flow of a well-balanced razor, gliding across your skin like water over pebbles, echoes the Taoist ideal of wu wei, effortless action. The "rightness" here lies in the dance between blade and skin, where efficiency meets a sense of harmonious flow.

Aesthetics and Quality: From Epicurean Delights to Wabi-sabi Imperfections

The Epicureans, with their pursuit of pleasure and beauty, would appreciate the aesthetic allure of a finely crafted razor. The gleam of polished steel, the intricate grooves of a hand-carved handle, these are tactile poems whispering to the senses. However, the Japanese philosophy of wabi-sabi teaches us to find beauty in imperfection. A well-worn razor, its handle etched with the stories of countless shaves, holds a unique charm, a testament to a life well-lived. The "rightness" here is in the interplay between polished elegance and the patina of time, a reminder that beauty can lie in the scars as much as the shine.

Value and Symbolism: From Socratic Self-Care to Zen Mindfulness

Socrates, with his belief in self-knowledge and living a good life, would see the razor as a tool for self-care. The act of shaving becomes a mindful ritual, a moment of introspection as you tend to your face. In Zen Buddhism, the act of shaving can be a meditation in action, each stroke focusing the mind on the present moment. The "rightness" here lies in the transformative power of the razor, where the removal of hair becomes a metaphor for shedding distractions and connecting with ourselves.

Ritual and Personalization: From Platonic Forms to the Uniqueness of Self

Plato, with his belief in ideal forms, might imagine a perfect razor, a Platonic archetype existing beyond the imperfections of materiality. Yet, for each individual, the "rightness" is found in a unique expression of self. The quirky preferences, the personal rituals you build around your shave, these are brushstrokes painting your own ideal onto the canvas of daily life. The "right" razor, then, is not a static form, but a canvas for your own personal story, a symphony of preferences played out in strokes and lather.

Synergy: The Dance of Handle and Blade

Ultimately, the "rightness" of a razor lies not just in its individual components, but in the synergy between blade and handle. A high-quality blade, honed to razor-sharp perfection, needs a stable, balanced handle to channel its power with control. Likewise, a meticulously crafted handle, ergonomic and pleasing to the hand, is meaningless without a blade to give it purpose. It is in this harmonious dance, where utility meets aesthetics, quality meets value, and ritual meets personalization, that the razor truly sings.

So, the next time you pick up your razor, listen closely. It whispers not just of hair removal, but of philosophies embraced, lives lived, and stories waiting to be etched on the canvas of your skin. In that harmonious collaboration of blade and handle, you may just find the "rightness" you seek, the perfect reflection of your own unique journey through life, one stroke at a time.

mcee_sharp

MCEAPWINMOLQOVTIAAWHAMARTHAEHOAIDIAMRHDAE
Value and Symbolism: From Socratic Self-Care to Zen Mindfulness

Socrates, with his belief in self-knowledge and living a good life, would see the razor as a tool for self-care. The act of shaving becomes a mindful ritual, a moment of introspection as you tend to your face. In Zen Buddhism, the act of shaving can be a meditation in action, each stroke focusing the mind on the present moment. The "rightness" here lies in the transformative power of the razor, where the removal of hair becomes a metaphor for shedding distractions and connecting with ourselves.

Ritual and Personalization: From Platonic Forms to the Uniqueness of Self

Plato, with his belief in ideal forms, might imagine a perfect razor, a Platonic archetype existing beyond the imperfections of materiality. Yet, for each individual, the "rightness" is found in a unique expression of self. The quirky preferences, the personal rituals you build around your shave, these are brushstrokes painting your own ideal onto the canvas of daily life. The "right" razor, then, is not a static form, but a canvas for your own personal story, a symphony of preferences played out in strokes and lather.

These both really speak to me, primarily the self-care and zen.

I just finished rereading Matthew Crawford's _Shop Class as Soulcraft_. One of his emphases is on our relationship with the Things in our life, and the way their manufacturers have dumbed them down to the point that the enduser never gains the sense of ownership that comes from caring for or adjusting them. Think a car that doesn't even have a dipstick.

Crawford also dips pretty deeply into philosophy. Heady read about livelihoods that combine well-practiced hands with well-practiced brains.

The straight-razor shave celebrates both those practices, and much more.

Years ago I was very active on a now-defunct shaving forum, and what struck me most about peoples' rhapsodies about this new kind of shaving they were discovering is that they were discovering and describing Mindfulness, though that word never appeared in their posts. So many generous, articulate descriptions of mindfulness and meditation.

I will be very interested in your progress! Best wishes to you.

Top Bottom