What's new

What do you watch on YouTube?

I do watch some of the shaving channels from time to time. Mostly I look at YouTube when I am trying to do research on a project.

The battery in my wife's Samsung Galaxy S8+ is going bad (swelling), so I ordered a replacement battery that will arrive later today. Now I need to find a YouTube video of the replacement process to make sure I do not mess something up.

I had this issues with my Gear S3. I was actually getting ready to pitch it. I thought about sending it back in to Samsung but kept reading stories of them not fixing the issue. Then I found a video on YouTube detailing how replace the battery. I ordered one off of Amazon and now the watch is as good as new.

Just got a Concept2 Model D rowing machine, so I watched a few rowing form yt videos, and the assembly video - which wasn't really necessary as it turned out to be 8 screws and it was ready to row.

Though it was a January purchase, I don't fit in with the new year's resolution crowd. I saw the parking lot get filled over from the first of Jan, and then taper off early February as the crowd started to lose interest. I'm a year round exerciser - and the rowing machine is just easy to hop on when I feel like it.

One bonus is my wife took to it very nicely - something I didn't expect. She's a daily rower like myself now. Very proud of her.

Fail videos and kids getting knocked down by dogs and balls and such. I find relaxation in other's pain. Am I a bad person?!?!? :(

shavefan

I’m not a fan
I watched this recently and was blown away. The story would make a great book, or better, a documentary.

Last edited:
For me, Youtube is a utility. When I need to fix something or see how something works, it's invaluable.

Although I may have started with cat and face plant videos, the overwhelming majority I watch now are How-To ones. Sometimes there are 30 or more on the same topic so you get crowd-sourced solutions that cover all possible pitfalls for any given task.

the other day I spent a rather enjoyable 20 minutes with a guy dissecting Heath Ledger and Joaquin Phoenix's portrayals of the Joker and what makes them great. I love film analysis.

Although I may have started with cat and face plant videos, the overwhelming majority I watch now are How-To ones. Sometimes there are 30 or more on the same topic so you get crowd-sourced solutions that cover all possible pitfalls for any given task.

+1

I've saved a decent amount of money by watching DIY videos (car repairs, washing machine repairs etc) and I've found a lot of videos that have been a big help to me in my calisthenics training (muscle-ups, flags, planche and so on). As you say, Youtube's suggestion algorithm usually serves up a good handful of material that together covers the ins-and-outs of each topic comprehensively.

Traditionally I've had a strong preference for written articles vs video - and I still get irritated by videos that have an overly long introduction - but increasingly Youtube is delivering what I'm looking for.

and I still get irritated by videos that have an overly long introduction

The worst are the ramblers. Endlessly meandering around the point with copious verbal diarrhea into stream of consciousness dead ends. It's fine to not have a slickly produced video as many are but know when to shut up.

A few days after clicking on some links in this thread:

some old videos of street scenes in New York popped up on my youtube suggestions. Hmm...tracking at work but at least it was an interesting video:

Turns out the poster "guy jones" has a channel with many interesting old videos.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
For me, Youtube is a utility. When I need to fix something or see how something works, it's invaluable.
It used to be that way for me. I hated YT for a long time and only used it for “how-to” videos. And even then I would skip all the BS and get to just the actual HOW TO of the video.

I got a lot of downtime at my job and now I’m on YouTube so much I’m considering going premium to get rid of the dang ads!

Top Bottom