What's new

What do you use to STOP THE BLEEDING

I've only needed to use a styptic twice. The first time (2nd day of wet shaving) I had to use tissue. Then wet the dark red patch of paper, carefully peel off, and then re-apply a second piece of paper. Then go to the store and buy a styptic pencil.

The first day I had a weeper that had stopped by the time I finished shaving. The second day I hit the same spot, much better the second time around, or worse assuming the goal is to remove hair and not blood.

Well, my first line of defense is technique. If I pay attention to my technique, I rarely see any kind of blood. That also means taking my time. Second, I apply some pre-shave oil which helps lubricate my beard and face. Third, I pay close attention to building a nice slick lather. If my lather is slick I won't get weepers or nicks. Fourth, I do cold water rinses after each pass which helps to close any weepers that I may get. Fifth, when I've finished my final pass/touch up, I use alum on my wet face which also eliminates weepers and nicks. Another cold water rinse, then some witch hazel, another astringent, just to be sure. If after all that I still see blood anywhere, then I know my technique sucked or my lather sucked or a combination of the two. Then I break out the styptic pencil which pretty much puts an end to any blood that may still be flowing. I see no need for anything other than what I'm doing presently.

Next time you're in a grocery store look for powdered alum or McCormicks Alum in the seasoning aisle. Just dip a wet finger in, and apply to the cut or weeper. When it dries or the bleeding stops, just brush it off. If it's a bad nick, make a little paste out of it. 50+ years ago they sold shaving alum alongside shaving supplies. It was cheap, it worked and a little container lasted forever. I still have some powdered shaving alum I bought in 1965. I keep that one hidden because my wife has threatened for many years to throw it out if she ever finds it. I usually use McCormicks Alum for the occasional minor weeper. I haven't needed to bring out the "good" stuff in years.

Like you, I tried the Glyder and had the same result. It works fine but it won't retract. I tried pushing it down and that didn't work.

I have one spot on my chin that is a small bump of scar tissue, at least once a month it will bleed and nothing seems to get it to stop.
I have the Proraso gel repair but; it has hardened. I just use tissue paper, and after about a hour it will stop.

Like you, I tried the Glyder and had the same result. It works fine but it won't retract. I tried pushing it down and that didn't work.
Yeah, it's definitely a product glitch. I wouldn't buy again, until they fix it.

Touch wood, I've never had to reach for the styptic pencil yet, got one just in case. normally Cold water takes care of minor weepers for me & the alum block or witch hazel has taken care of the rest. Failing that, will power!

Touch wood, I've never had to reach for the styptic pencil yet, got one just in case. normally Cold water takes care of minor weepers for me & the alum block or witch hazel has taken care of the rest. Failing that, will power!
alum block and styptic pencils are often the same material. One is just use to treat a specific spot, the other a wide general area.

Bowling sounds more dangerous than I thought :lol:
LOL. It's for blisters that can form and burst on the thumb. new-skin is great when you have a cut that a band-aid won't really work on, not necessarily from shaving hahhahah Try it, you'll thank me :)
100_2201.JPG

LOL. It's for blisters that can form and burst on the thumb. new-skin is great when you have a cut that a band-aid won't really work on, not necessarily from shaving hahhahah Try it, you'll thank me :)
I wouldn't know about bowling uses, but it's great for minor cuts on the hands. A word of caution though: I once applied it to a deeper/larger cut before it had properly scabbed over and it started getting rather funky under the seal that the New Skin forms. Since it was on my dominant hand I freaked out a little (severe infections could lead to permanent loss of function in the hand), removed the liquid bandage, and began applying hydrogen peroxide to the injury ~3 times a day and otherwise being super careful with hand washing. That cleared the infection stuff up but left a decent scar which hasn't really diminished in the couple of years since.

Top Bottom